Unlock Help: Won Lumia 1020 at Opportunity Rings

pyrosol08

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
So I'm digging around the forums, google, and youtube; and it seems AT&T can be a real pain in the *** when it comes to unlocking devices. Some have told me you have to have an AT&T sim in the phone for at least a few months before they will do it. Some have suggested ponying up for a third-party service (looks to be anywhere from 40 to 75 dollars). Some have suggested having a friend with AT&T call.

I'm currently a T-Mobile user, but the MSFT store doesn't carry unlocked phones or T-Mobile phones... sad day. I'm currently using a Lumia 925 (though I'd love to use the Lumia 1020 #Camera).

I was curious if, as of late, some had more success getting their AT&T Lumia 1020s unlocked. I've called AT&T customer service 5 different times. Got a "case" opened (was denied due to the following: We cannot find a valid current or former mobile number associated with this device. This device is not associated with a current or former AT&T account.). Submitted an alternative case (if you go to att.com/deviceunlock and pick GoPhone then you can just submit an IMEI number w/ your email) that i haven't heard back from. Had a friend call, and he was told to submit a case online (he just did that this morning so we'll see if he hears back).

Any thoughts, comments, advice, etc. would be great. I was also curious if there was a way to flash the device that might unlock it? I'm not sure this is possible but maybe someone here is wiser? I wouldn't want to brick such a lovely device, but, as of now, all I have is a great phone that I can't use :(

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, they want to make a few bucks before the do this kind of thing. It is their policy as it turns out. I submitted an unlock request about a month ago and haven't heard a word since. No errors, no warnings just nothing.

pyrosol08

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys; As an update, I haven't heard anymore feedback from AT&T, but my friend was able to submit a case with my IMEI number (he told them it was his phone and he needed it unlocked).

We're thinking we can try it that way, and if it doesn't work out, then he'll use the phone with his SIM for a few months and then try to get it unlocked (lol it helps to have friends that care...)

I can't believe this ordeal though. It's a 699 USD phone. You buy it full-price. AT&T has to have made their money somewhere in that supply chain since it's their branded phone. So why be such a bother for the unlock??

I'll come back with results if my friend's submission gets approved, and we get an unlock code.

pyrosol08

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Guys ! Hell yes ! My friend just got the code from AT&T ! ! ! ! !

I'm at work right now but I'm going to try the code AS SOON AS I GET HOME! So excited ! ! ! ! !

pyrosol08

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Just to clarify in case ANYONE else reads this thread and wants to have the same kind of luck (lol.):

1. The phone was bought from a Microsoft store at full price (599 USD).

2. No sim card was EVER inserted into the phone (AT&T or otherwise).

3. My friend has been an AT&T customer for more than one year and has not used any unlocks in the last year (this could have played a role). He submitted the unlock request online (att.com/deviceunlock) using his account information and the phone's IMEI number

4. We submitted the request on Sunday and received a reply from AT&T on Monday (what a turn around!) despite the site's estimate that it would take 5 business days

5. I have yet to go home and try the code but will update this post when I do.

Last edited:

offthahorseceo

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
is your friend in contract?

we tried to unlock our lumia which we bought in august

we've been customers for about 8 YEARS and i used to actually work for the company

i submitted a case and got an IMMEDIATE reply that said id have to finish out my contract before i got an unlock.

pyrosol08

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
My friend is in contract. I have used the unlock code and the phone is working 100% on T-Mobile's network ! No internet sharing for now. And I'm going to check up on the forums for mms etc. (in case it's also broken).

For the record, he did tell them he had bought the phone and needed to travel abroad. But that had nothing to do w/ the online submission. So. Strange I suppose.

I'm sorry you didn't have the same luck :(

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I am still in a contract til this November, and so far I have used up my 5 unlocks this year, I should have a free one now that it is past my first unlock 🔓

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520, w/AT&T using Tapatalk

Kyle Stilkey

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
is your friend in contract?

we tried to unlock our lumia which we bought in august

we've been customers for about 8 YEARS and i used to actually work for the company

i submitted a case and got an IMMEDIATE reply that said id have to finish out my contract before i got an unlock.

That is correct, you have to complete your contract on the phone before you can submit for a unlock code.

MJThib

Mar 1, 2007
Visit site
I have unlocked every AT&T phone while still on contract. I would have ditched them if I had to buy another phone or pay for a third party code just to have my SIM unlocked when traveling. I have unlocked two phones this year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria