Unlocked 1020 from Negri Electronics?

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I just chatted with Francisco at Negri; 1020 is unlocked AT&T and will definitely have the AT&T logo printed on it.

I think the only International version is the one that has the European bandwidths that won't work with US or Canadian based carriers, but will have 64GB internal.

The one Negri is selling on preorders is AT&T 32GB memory and USA compatible bandwidths..

"won't work with US or Canadian based carriers" is a little misleading..the European spec 1020's will work in the U.S. at 3G/4G speeds (up to 42Mbps) on the 850 and 1900 bands. Just not LTE. So if LTE is a must-have feature, then yes...the AT&T spec phone is the one to get. If HSDPA is good enough, then the european spec phone will work just fine.

One thing to remember is that the 64GB version being released for Telefonica/Movistar in Europe and Latin America is different from the "standard" European spec and will likely have a different frequency mix to serve those "exclusive" markets with a single SKU. Many of the areas served have LTE over AWS bands which match up to both t-mobile and AT&t here in the states. To me, that's worth holding out for...twice the storage plus working LTE over AWS. But everyone's needs/expectations will differ, obviously :)

fjbeiderbecke

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
From what I saw when the phone was announced the US version has band 4, the European does not. T-Mobile uses band 4 for LTE. I may have confused something but check before you get the Euro version.

ballanda

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
From what I saw when the phone was announced the US version has band 4, the European does not. T-Mobile uses band 4 for LTE. I may have confused something but check before you get the Euro version.

I can't think of any good use for LTE anyway (other than sucking down battery life faster than anything else on the phone). I have never had a problem getting data fast enough with HSPDA+. But maybe my demands are not as heavy as others. I don't watch a lot of video over the air except for youtube.

webdave

Apr 24, 2004
Visit site
I can't think of any good use for LTE anyway (other than sucking down battery life faster than anything else on the phone). I have never had a problem getting data fast enough with HSPDA+. But maybe my demands are not as heavy as others. I don't watch a lot of video over the air except for youtube.

Latency (ping times) is much better with LTE.

gbach9

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I also spoke with Francisco. he told me that it WOULD NOT work with the LTE network here in california. i went to a tmobile store and they told me it WOULD because it has the 1700 and 2100 bands. the thing that my brother told me (he is very familiar with this stuff) is that it may not work because tmobile and att have different frequencies. but i they are reframing the network because of the unlocked att iphone 5. but im not sure. if someone who actually lives in US and has tried using a tmobile sim card in an unlocked 1020 can tell us is for sure what they experienced that would be great. i want to order this too but im not trying to pay $750 for a phone that only runs edge.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I'll tell you next week :)

I think Negri's just trying to be conservative and cover themselves. But then why else are they selling unlocked phones??

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Just sent this to Nokia support - will post an answer If/once I receive..

Nokia 1020 AT&T for USA:

I am buying this as carrier unlocked. T-Mobile LTE is AWS Band 4 - will the unlocked USA 1020 work on T-Mobile LTE?

Thank you in advance.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I also spoke with Francisco. he told me that it WOULD NOT work with the LTE network here in california. i went to a tmobile store and they told me it WOULD because it has the 1700 and 2100 bands. the thing that my brother told me (he is very familiar with this stuff) is that it may not work because tmobile and att have different frequencies. but i they are reframing the network because of the unlocked att iphone 5. but im not sure. if someone who actually lives in US and has tried using a tmobile sim card in an unlocked 1020 can tell us is for sure what they experienced that would be great. i want to order this too but im not trying to pay $750 for a phone that only runs edge.

AWS is AWS. We've already seen unlocked 920's work just fine on t-mobile. An unlocked at&t-spec 1020 will likewise work on t-mobile's AWS-based LTE. A european-spec 1020 will not as it lacks AWS support. The Telefonica/Movisar spec 1020 will most likely have AWS since a large number of the providers across the world that the company/conglomerate owns uses AWS for LTE.

What I *can't* speak to is if AT&T locks LTE access by IMEI...thereby making these 3rd-party-acquired phones unable to access the AT&T LTE network. I don't have any experience in that but I can tell you that T-mobile is much more straight-forward in that you only need a proper SIM and the right APN settings to get it to work.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Which Telefonica/Movisar carriers use AWS? AFAIK only the Rogers 900/920 were ever released with AWS frequencies, I've never heard of any other carriers apart from Wind and TMobile that use AWS for HSPA or LTE. Would be good to know so we can watch out for when those phones are released.

LastBattle

May 26, 2012
Visit site
That doesn't really say a lot. Most phones coming out these days work on all 2G networks. Will the version from Negri work on Rogers' LTE network?

hmm.. Why not? The Lumia 920 for Asia/Europe does support 2G, 3G and even penta band LTE.

As for ATT variant, I expect the same except for the incompatibility in LTE unless you are in North America.

treetownal

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Just sent this to Nokia support - will post an answer If/once I receive..

Nokia 1020 AT&T for USA:

I am buying this as carrier unlocked. T-Mobile LTE is AWS Band 4 - will the unlocked USA 1020 work on T-Mobile LTE?

Thank you in advance.

Interested to hear what they tell you. I chatted with them last week and after investigating Nokia support told me it would be LTE capable on T Mobile if your area was refarmed.

gbach9

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys. Went to att Saturday bought phone outright. They told me they would unlock it for me. They couldn't. so I ended up returning it. I guess I have no choice but to buy from negri. But if you guys get it working on t mobile network let me know. I'm going to end up getting it but a definite answer would be awesome thanks

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Availability just changed from 7/30 to 8/2. Since I preordered right after they offered on the website I had my fingers crossed that the 8/2 was for any new orders coming and wouldn't effect mine and other early preorders. Alas, not to be.. Francisco confirmed that ALL units are delayed to the 2nd..

gbach9

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
i saw that availability change as well. i got this from francisco about an hour ago not sure what to make of it. guess im going to have to wait and see, does anyone know which model he is specifically talking about?

hello,

Thank you for your reply. This unit will not support T-Mobiles network. There is a model that is specific to T-mobiles network. Unfortunately the unit we have on our site will not work due to restrictions. Thank you and have a nice day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs