Unlocked 950 and PMA Wireless Charging

RonnieJP

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I have an unlocked dual-SIM Lumia 950 and am waiting to receive a red leather Mozo back cover. The AT&T branded 950 supports both Qi and PMA wireless charging standards, but the unlocked version supposedly only supports Qi. Does anyone know if this is just a function of the AT&T model's back cover (containing both coils?) or is there some additional internal circuitry in the AT&T model that allows for the additional PMA charging? My main reason for asking is that the Mozo back cover supports both Qi and PMA charging, so I wonder is it will allow PMA with my unlocked (non-AT&T) version phone? I have the option to exchange my unlocked for an AT&T version until January 31st if that's necessary to support PMA, but I don't know if I'll even receive the Mozo back cover by then as they are still back-ordered. Thanks in advance.

superbouncyball

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
What contacts are exposed on the back of your phone underneath the cover? What contacts are on your existing back cover and the back cover you ordered (if you have pictures of it, you should be able to see the contacts)?

I think I have a 950 that supports both PMA and Qi, although I only have Qi chargers to verify it with. My phone has two pins just above the SIM/SD slot which I *think* are for the Qi coil and two pins up higher on the phone about a half-inch from the top of the battery which I *think* are the for the PMA coil.

My back cover has two flat contacts for the Qi pins and two flat contacts for the PMA pins. The Qi pins and the PMA pins are exposed from underneath two different pieces of what looks like black tape, which I assume are hiding the two different coils.

superbouncyball

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
Whoops... I just realized the upper pins are probably for NFC, not charging, so my theory that having both sets of pins implied PMA support is probably wrong.

RonnieJP

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, but I just found out from Mozo that only the AT&T version of the Lumia 950 supports PMA charging. So, apparently it's not just the coils in the back cover. The Mozo will support PMA as well as Qi, but only on the AT&T model. The Mozo rep sounded quite knowledgeable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazt6h