Updating Windows stuck at 24 overall, 83 copying files going to version 1511, how can I fix it?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Updating Windows stuck at 24% overall, 83% copying files going to version 1511

Hey all,

I used Windows Update to go to version 1511 (the November Update) after a clean Windows install...now for six hours it has been sitting at the scree "Updating Windows: Your PC will restart several times" with an overall completion percent of 24% and Copying Files 83%. Previously I had tried to install and I was getting a blue screen error CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT at this exact same step.

I was getting this same issue before, so I decided to try a clean install. Whatever the problem was, a clean install did not seem to fix it. I've seen the CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT has been linked to faulty processors but I've had the same processor for over two years and have run it through dozens of modern games with no issue. Any thoughts? Anyone else having this problem when installing the November update?

ElmntEarth1

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
Re: Updating Windows stuck at 24% overall, 83% copying files going to version 1511

This can be closed down, I was the original question asker. Registered for an account so maybe I can be helpful in the future.

I ended up creating a bootable thumbdrive with the media creation tool that pulled the most recent Win 10. Booted from that drive, formatted my drive, and installed from that media. Just for added insult to injury, I tried to restore from my backup drive since I knew from the first error that I would need to hose Windows, and the WD restore from backup utility doesn't support Windows 10 yet (needed to manually grab my app data and pictures). No biggie, but I'm back up and running now. I still think this update process has some kinks that need to be worked out!

Thanks guys!

ElmntEarth1

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
Re: Updating Windows stuck at 24% overall, 83% copying files going to version 1511

I saw a number of other people had this, at this very specific step. Wish I could tell you what the answer was. If you have a good backup system in place, doing what I did shouldn't set you back too far. The only other thing I was considering was to just wait for the next big update. Hopefully they have whatever kinks there are worked out by then

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2