Upgrade question for those in the know

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
So, my girlfriend will be eligible for an upgrade on the 1st of November. She knows I want the 920. So she said I could use her upgrade. In exchange, she would get my 900.

My question... Is this.

What would be the easiest way to get this done?

I was thinking she orders the phone. She gets the phone. She gives me the phone and I put my SIM card in. She then takes the SIM card that shipped with the 920, and puts it into my 900.

Any other ideas? Any other suggestions?

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I think that's how its done.

Shoot, my brother-in-law takes his parents upgrades all the time and they are on verizon which doesn't use SIM cards...

srmiller82

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
AT&T doesnt care either way you can walk right into store say you wanna use her upgrade but put the phone on your line and they will do it all for you, upgrade is upgrade to them all the same they renew contract.

tlo07

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Your best bet is a corporate AT&T store. I do this all the time. I use my kids' upgrades to get a new phone on my line. Its called an alternate upgrade. They can just put the new phone directly on your line with no hassle. I'm using my daughter's line to get the 920 because her upgrade is available in November.

tapiocamilktea

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
If you go to the store to get the phone in person, just tell them you want to extend her contract to upgrade your phone, they do this all the time, very easy. If you order it online and have it shipped, use her information as if she's upgrading. Then when you get the 920, make sure to use the new sim card (her number) to activate the new phone, there's a chance it may mess up their system if the new sim isn't activated with the new phone (not 100% sure if this is true, but more safe to do it anyways). Then after the phone is boot up and working, you can switch phones with her.

mxdude834

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I too am using my girlfriend's upgrade (who is on a separate plan) for myself. I chatted with an ATT expert and I was told that: she would have to order it and it would be on her contract. Once the phone arrives, activate the SIM that comes with the new phone and then put that "new" SIM into whatever phone she wants, and then you can put your SIM into the Lumia 920.

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up and the advice guys. As soon as she can pre-order it through AT&T, she's going to do so. That way, day one... BOOM!!! Lumia 920 beauty!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea