Using Cortana without data connection?

Ritesh Bhatia

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Can we use Cortana without any data connection?

Because whenever i try using Cortana offline it says, sorry i am not able to connect to the internet - even when i am asking her to send text or remind me of something.

I am from India and using US version.

OrangeBerry02

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
I wonder if this is true. My Ford can understand what I'm saying without an internet connection.

No, I think it is to ensure everything is reported back to Big Brother in real time!

OrangeBerry02

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
It allows upgrades to be done and also let them do better speech detection.

That would be the official line, anyway!

I am not proposing that Cortana should never contact the internet ... I live in a part of the world, England, where a decent signal is often hard to find in the countryside ... I am merely suggesting Cortana "wings it" from time to time until she can re-connect and update.

... and "better speech detection" ... I would argue some speech detection is better than none when, for example, driving in the country and one merely wants to respond to a text message without stopping/pulling over.

mijacs

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft seems to be doing an all or nothing type of approach. You even need to have location on for Cortana when a large portion of her abilities don't need it. I agree that it would be nice to have an offline limited feature.

Heav3n

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft has cortana on the cloud for the most important reason of all. So that it cannot be reverse engineered and stolen by other companies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raymowen