Verizon Intentionally Crippled The Lumia Icon Just As They Did To the Lumia 928

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
1520, 920 and 925 all have Micro SD slots. And I'm pretty sure even the 520 or 820 has it as well, this is mostly a VZW phenomenon not Nokia or WP.

Really? Could someone tell me where the MicroSD slot on my 920 is? I've had it almost a year and no sign of a MicroSD slot, or mention of one in the user guide.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
...so it is a great phone that can do all sorts of things but it is intentionally crippled because it lacks one thing you want. That is an interesting bit of logic. BTW, so is the idea that you had to delete things to keep "ample amounts of space free." For what exactly do you think the space it intended? Do people think it is there so you can admire the free space?
Apparently you've haven't seen the file sizes of some of these games and apps as well as my music library which is close to 1500 songs on my L928. 32 gigs doesn't go far anymore especially not with these 500+ MB Xbox branded app games

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
....and I guess you are a qualified engineer with all the specs to make this claim.
Look at the much smaller and cheaper Lumia phones that had no problems fitting micro SD's. This is freaking Nokia we're talking about, the company that can find a way to slap a massive 41mp camera on a phone, you act as if I'm asking for full size USB 3.0 ports or something

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
You mean having a device that contains the entirety of mankind's knowledge and art is crippled because you can't store more selfies?
Ah bet you feel snarky and clever after that zinger huh? You people act as if I'm asking Nokia to provide some kind of technology decades ahead of anything we've known. Me complaining about the Icon not having Star Trek esque teleportation would've have cause less of a stir it seems.

JBConforti

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Look at the much smaller and cheaper Lumia phones that had no problems fitting micro SD's. This is freaking Nokia we're talking about, the company that can find a way to slap a massive 41mp camera on a phone, you act as if I'm asking for full size USB 3.0 ports or something

You ever think that because theyre lower spec that there is a lot less room inside of the phone. The phone is already way to thick and heavy, let alone to fit everything else in that they wanted, I can't imagine that there was anymore room for anything inside this phone.

And noone cares that youre frustrated with the lack of the microSD, its that your coming with this conspiracy theory.

Ted#WP

Feb 5, 2009
Visit site
First world problems.

Considering the 928 is two year old technology I'd say that's pretty good. Then you still have about 12-15Gb left? So what's the problem?

It is not uncommon for a phone to come out with 32Gb of storage and no SD option. The same storage capacity option for the iSheep is $300 on contract. Be thankful that you have common sense.

Why do people think this is Nokia's fault? Verizon specifically ordered this phone. Putting in an option for SD isn't always up to the manufacturer. The carriers have a lot to do with what phones have. This is why some global variants have different specs. Verizon ordered the Icon. They probably told Nokia/MS to not put in an SD slot. Carriers benefit from cloud storage use because it increases data usage. Money $. And MS/Apple/Google want you use cloud $torage.

Park at a McDonald's, connect to wifi and sync? Sync pics and docs via hardware on your tablet/computer?

VZ is a turd, no doubt. Qi wireless and grandfathered unlimited data is the only reason I'm still with Verizon. If the 1520 had Qi I would have been gone already. AT&T service in my reason is as good as VZ so there's no real reason to stay.

Unlimited data is the reason for VZ for life.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I'd hardly say that Verizon intentionally crippled the Icon. Maybe they didn't want the SD card, or even just didn't specify. at&t is considerably worse when they outright made Nokia stop putting Qi charging in their phones after they arbitrarily joined the competing PMA group.

stephen_victor

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
How much of your life do you spend on your phone where you have to say 32GB is not enough? They still sell the 160GB iPod Classic if A/V means that much to you. And if it is gaming that is taking up too much space, I am betting you have other parts of your life that need attention and a gym membership collecting another inch of dust.

slowburnaz

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
How much of your life do you spend on your phone where you have to say 32GB is not enough? They still sell the 160GB iPod Classic if A/V means that much to you. And if it is gaming that is taking up too much space, I am betting you have other parts of your life that need attention and a gym membership collecting another inch of dust.

Way to belittle people with different priorities. Some people like to keep their music collection on their phones. That's enough reason for some to think 32GB isn't enough, and enough reason for you to not question why they need it. And, if you can keep all your music and videos on your phone, there's no longer a need to shell out more money for another device just for that purpose, and no need to carry around that additional device.

stephen_victor

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Way to belittle people with different priorities. Some people like to keep their music collection on their phones. That's enough reason for some to think 32GB isn't enough, and enough reason for you to not question why they need it. And, if you can keep all your music and videos on your phone, there's no longer a need to shell out more money for another device just for that purpose, and no need to carry around that additional device.

I am pretty satisfied with my response =) .

Anyway ... the feeling of entitlement that a phone should be able to keep 32GB+ of music ... smh. If that's the case, put it in the cloud, a la Amazon Cloud Player, Google Play, etc. I just stream from Spotify and all is well.

"But wait! Data caps!!!111"

It's your fault if you have a limited data plan. Thank goodness Wi-Fi is available at your house and many places outside of it. You have so many choices of devices that take a 32 or 64GB microSD card. Or get an iPod Classic.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I know the MicroSD people always hate to hear this, but quite frankly it is barely used and only a request from a tiny fraction of customers. The reason that low end phones tend to have it is because they include a paltry amount of base storage essentially necessitating the customer pay for storage themselves via MicroSD. When I was internal to MS I believe the figure was about 6% of users who had a SD slot actually populated it, and a significant number of them never ended up saving anything of it. That may not jive to your anecdotal experiences, but the vast majority of smartphone users, especially now, are not the power users that many of you and your friends are.

I don't oppose MicroSD, mind you. But I absolutely understand why they do not want to add the cost of a feature that almost no one actually uses. That is unfair to the rest of the users paying for a feature that seldom used.

The same thing goes for removable batteries, at the risk of getting myself yelled at by a second vocal minority. ;)

Sure but, on a high end model people expect high end features. MicroSD is one of those things (not just the low end models). Your right, not everyone will use them at this point but, as as a high end feature I would EXPECT it.

Now we move forward, Windows Phone 8.1 is out, Applications CAN be installed to SD, even with the Noobs I could see this as something some people would want.

It all depends on how people use their phone, not just apps but, Music, videos, podcasts, more space can make it possable to do more.

For the record, My 928 has about 4gb free, that is just with apps, I buy a lot of games, enjoying the achievements I can get. I wanted to use my 928 for my music but, with about 15-20gb of Music I would like to carry around with me, it's pretty impossable unless I want to uninstall all the apps I paid for. Even with this after I finish a game (all achievements), I uninstall it to save space.

It shows the FACT that 32gb is NOT enough for everyone.

I dont think I will even get the ICON because of this, even though it's ALMOST the perfect phone but, in my eyes with out expandable storage it's a FAIL. Let's see what 8.1 brings to Verizon with HTC and Samsung, I bet there will be a nice model with at least 32gb with SD support...

So, let's see, your excuse for this is, if you want more music to go buy another device ? Really ? Why cant I have the OPTION to use 1 device for everyting in my life ? Nope, this is a high end Windows Phone, you can't do that....but, you can with Android ? Should we go down that road ?

Last edited:

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Sure but, on a high end model people expect high end features. MicroSD is one of those things (not just the low end models). Your right, not everyone will use them at this point but, as as a high end feature I would EXPECT it.

Now we move forward, Windows Phone 8.1 is out, Applications CAN be installed to SD, even with the Noobs I could see this as something some people would want.

It all depends on how people use their phone, not just apps but, Music, videos, podcasts, more space can make it possable to do more.

For the record, My 928 has about 4gb free, that is just with apps, I buy a lot of games, enjoying the achievements I can get. I wanted to use my 928 for my music but, with about 15-20gb of Music I would like to carry around with me, it's pretty impossable unless I want to uninstall all the apps I paid for. Even with this after I finish a game (all achievements), I uninstall it to save space.

I dont think I will even get the ICON because of this, even though it's ALMOST the perfect phone but, in my eyes with out expandable storage it's a FAIL. Let's see what 8.1 brings to Verizon with HTC and Samsung, I bet there will be a nice model with at least 32gb with SD support...

So, let's see, your excuse for this is, if you want more music to go buy another device ? Really ? Why cant I have the OPTION to use 1 device for everyting in my life ? Nope, this is a high end Windows Phone, you can't do that....but, you can with Android ? Should we go down that road ?

Sometimes you have to leave stuff out to make this device affordable. If this phone contained all the bells and whistles with an $800 price tag, people would still be complaining. It's a $500 phone and it's a damn good price for what you're getting. People are just never happy... They want everything, but they don't want to pay for it.

Posted via the WPC App

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
If people expect a high-end phone to have high-end features then they better expect a high-end price. That's just the way it is.

Posted via the WPC App

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Yes, they likely could find a way to fit a SD Card slot on the Icon. They chose not to. Instead they focused on other features, ones that likely are far more popular among the audience expected to be interested in this phone. I am certain they could have gone with a removable battery as well if that had been a design goal. But again, in any design, choices are made.

If SD Card support is so important to you, there are many devices with it, as mentioned in this thread. Those devices often have other tradeoffs, but that is how engineering typically works. You decide what the best combination of features is, and that is your optimal, if not perfect, phone.

digitaldodd

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm probably similar to the original poster of this thread in that I will always consume whatever storage is provided and then wish I had more. That said, I think 'cripple' is too harsh of a word. More like the Icon is not all that it could be without the SD card. But, it always come down to trade-offs - bigger screen but with no wireless charging (1520), amazing camera but with bulge in back (1020), better LTE coverage but with fewer Windows Phones to choose from (Verizon), etc... life is full of choices.

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm not certain why. With the exception of a very select number of devices like the 1520, and Samsung's seeming commitment to SD, most high end phones do not include SD Cards. In fact they are a fairly standard feature on low end phones, because adding a SD Slot is cheaper than adding more memory, and it puts the memory cost in the hands of the buyer. You may expect it, but really most of the high end handsets do not include it so your expectation may be a bit out of line with reality.

I doubt most people will care, honestly. They never have in the past, not even when phones had significantly less local storage. As I pointed out, actual usage of SD slots is abysmal, which is why its not considered a major feature.

You hit the nail on the head. 32GB without microSD is not for everyone. Of course nobody engineers a phone with the target audience of 'everyone' because that is not realistic. Other features that vocal minorities require that the Icon does not have -

Removable battery
41MP camera
Xenon flash
6" screen (depends on who you ask)
4" screen (depends on who you ask)
Slide out physical keyboard
Stylus

I could keep going. Each of those features has their own constituency. And a phone without a given item is a no buy for them. And their use cases often are entirely reasonable for their purposes. This simply is not the phone for them.

Well there you go. Its not your phone. Its not for you. Its missing what is a key feature in your world. I hope you get what you need since honestly I am always happy to see people stick with WP and if SD Card support keeps you on the platform that's a win for platform supporters like me.

As for me, I've been living on a 16GB Trophy followed by a 16GB 8X for going on three years now and I still have free space. I think the Icon will suite me nicely.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Note: totally uninformed (as to the Reason for no SD card) speculation:

The PCMag review mentioned heat sensitivity in camera sensors causing noise. Certainly, the Icon, and even the 928 for that matter, pack a lot of electronics into a pretty compact package. An SD interface and the card bulk would add to it. IF there was a trade off to be made in image quality versus expandable storage, then IMO they made the right choice. I would have been really nice to have a 64GB model though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria