Verizon vs. Data Sense

Mandymoo11

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi all. Just checked my data usage with both the Verizon account app and with Data Sense. Verizon account app says I have used 96 mb and DS says I have used 145mb. Which do I go by to determine my actual usage and why the discrepancy?

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Go with Data Sense. That app is specifically designed to work with your phone to monitor your data usage; therefore, it is more accurate than the VZW app which isn't always updated.

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Data Sense only keeps track of its phone's data usage. I'm guessing that they are different because you have more than one device on your plan

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Data Sense only keeps track of its phone's data usage. I'm guessing that they are different because you have more than one device on your plan
That's my bet. My wife uses very little data on our 6GB plan, so I set my data sense to have a 5GB limit, leaving her 1GB (which she'll never use anyway).

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I actually used Data Sense to figure out that Verizon didn't reset the last month's use when we changed over to the family plan. They claimed Data Sense isn't necessarily accurate (BS), but we got it reset after a few days.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
DO NOT USE JUST DATA SENSE

Use Verizon, data sense doesn't get everything. If its coming directly from Verizon than it is correct!

If you go off just data sense you may find yourself in a bad situation!

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Why do you say that?

It says it right in the app "As measured by phone. Your carrier's data usage measurement may differ".

Verizon doesn't bill you off of what data sense says, they bill you off what they say. Don't get me wrong, I love the app, but when it gets down to the nitty gritty, it can't be trusted.

Mandymoo11

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone. Thanks for the input. I do not have any shared data with anyone or any other devices. I have a single plan under my name only. My data reset as of midnight but as of then, I had used ~150 MB of data for the month. Since my bill has not yet generated on the Verizon website, it will be a day or two before I can check the final tally from them. I am anxious to see what the result is.

Also, if I did have more than one device, wouldn't the Verizon data usage be at least equal to what Data Sense shows?

AskaLangly

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
That's my bet. My wife uses very little data on our 6GB plan, so I set my data sense to have a 5GB limit, leaving her 1GB (which she'll never use anyway).
This post. I have an 822 with a 4GB shared plan. She has a featurephone in which only uses <100MB. I set my DS limit to 3.5GB just to give myself some room. Not like her phone would be able to eat up 500MB within a month, heh heh...

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone. Thanks for the input. I do not have any shared data with anyone or any other devices. I have a single plan under my name only. My data reset as of midnight but as of then, I had used ~150 MB of data for the month. Since my bill has not yet generated on the Verizon website, it will be a day or two before I can check the final tally from them. I am anxious to see what the result is.

Also, if I did have more than one device, wouldn't the Verizon data usage be at least equal to what Data Sense shows?

I can't tell you exactly how it works, I am just saying this for two reasons. First being, the app itself has a disclaimer saying its not always accurate. Second, my results find there to be a difference between the two. (ranges from 2MB to over 100MB off at some points)

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
It says it right in the app "As measured by phone. Your carrier's data usage measurement may differ".

Verizon doesn't bill you off of what data sense says, they bill you off what they say. Don't get me wrong, I love the app, but when it gets down to the nitty gritty, it can't be trusted.

They most likely say that for liability purposes. In my case, I had only used like 300 MB whereas Verizon had about 1 GB of usage. It was obvious to me that they had added last month's usage with the next month. So Data Sense proved very useful for me.

Right now Verizon says I've used 598 MB and Data Sense says 602 MB, so I find it to be quite accurate.

MasterX24

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to bump this but According to my data sense I hit my 2gig limit today which seems unlikely IMO since I'm always on WiFi and My Verizon says I have almost 1 gig left so I'm also confused on who's right. Data sense used to be neck and neck but this month it's way off.

Changuro

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the inaccuracy. I have T-mobile phone (without service) but I have the SIM in the phone and data sense enabled. I magically used 2.2 GB of T-mobile data for free via Here Drive, Map Apps and "System". I am trying to see if T-mobile uses this data to throttle people. I do not want to pay 50 dollars for them to say that I magically reach these limits the same way when I do not even pay/use their service now. So either I am using their data (for free) and it is a ridiculous amount, or data sense is inaccurate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazt6h