W10 November Update Unstable, Not impressed!

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm finding once the OS installed it hasn't been too bad (usable) with most issues related to drivers and such relatively easy to resolved (in my case), my gripe though is getting the OS to install in the first place, the Fall Update so far appears a tad better but still too much of a hit-n-miss affair, I cringe thinking about those who are not as proficient in technology having to deal with this garbage.

I was an early adopter of Win8, and expected to find more problems than I did. It installed easily, and was stable from the get-go. It took me a little while to adopt to the UI, but once I got that down, I became a real fan. I'm part of the small minority that much prefers 8 to 7.(My office computer is still on 7, and when I use it I always feel as if I'm going back in time to something a little more primitive, even though I wrote glowing reviews of Win7 when it first came out.)

So, I figured, why not take the plunge with Win10? I've tried twice, without much luck. I understand that an OS transition Inevitably messes stuff up here and there and requires some fixing. I'm OK with that. But both times it was the instability -- the PC stopping dead in its tracks for no apparent reason -- that drove me back to 8.1. The good news is that the downgrade worked perfectly both times, and 8.1 was as reliable as ever.

I figured I'd wait for November and try again, but I'm seeing so many reports of upgrade and instability problems, that I'm now thinking it's better to wait till next year -- or maybe longer.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
The good news is that the downgrade worked perfectly both times, and 8.1 was as reliable as ever.

Yes MS seems to have at least got something right, can't count the times I saw "Restoring your previous versions of Windows" with the end results being "just as they were" on every count.

ptptpt4

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
If I were in your shoes and exhausted every avenue to resolve I'd be inclined to do a clean/fresh install of the OS (I know a pain), I've gone that route (after upgrading first) on a couple of PCs and just used a "key finder" tool to extract key prior, may have to look into the latter as I'm not sure if anything has changed since me doing it on initial RTM release.

In the end I gave up and did in fact reset the PC, however not before reverting to the previous build, which didn't really fix the internet issue. A whole day down the drain just to get my computer in working order, great...

After the reset I had some problems with DNS, however nothing a little tinkering couldn't fix. Now that my computer is refreshed I am in the process of installing the November update through the Media Creation Tool as it isn't showing in Windows Update anymore. Fingers crossed there won't be any issues this time.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
In the end I gave up and did in fact reset the PC, however not before reverting to the previous build, which didn't really fix the internet issue. A whole day down the drain just to get my computer in working order, great...

After the reset I had some problems with DNS, however nothing a little tinkering couldn't fix. Now that my computer is refreshed I am in the process of installing the November update through the Media Creation Tool as it isn't showing in Windows Update anymore. Fingers crossed there won't be any issues this time.

Just did a similar feat about 2 hours ago, upon trying to resolve a Fall Update install issue on one of my PCs I must have twerked rather than tweaked which rendered PC useless, right from the get go I performed a fresh install of the Fall Update with no activations issues whatsoever, used previously installed W8.1 key.

Will be thinking real hard about upgrading if and when round 3 ensues, hopefully MS has things sorted out by then, truly believe they missed the mark by a mile when it comes to the "painless' part of upgrading W10.

Last edited:

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue on my Asus n-series laptop after running the November Update. Trackpad was sluggish and barely usable.

It looks like it has something to do with it being picked up incorrectly. Hopefully this will help.

Go to Device Manager (WIN+X, then select device manager), find the "Mice and other pointing devices" entry and see if you have an "Asus Support Device". My trackpad was listed in this way. I uninstalled it, and then rebooted when prompted.

When it booted up again, I typed in my password, and got a message along the lines of we are installing your trackpad, please do not reboot until this is complete. sign in happened and a few moments later I got a notice saying the trackpad was installed and that I could reboot.

So I rebooted again and now device manager lists "Asus Touchpad" under 'mice and other pointing devices'. The trackpad is also running as expected without any hassles now. (no longer seems like the cursor is stuck in mud when you move it).

Asus does seem to not like to link up their latest drivers to all their machines (especially the older machines). I looked in the programs and features list and Smart Gesture (their software for the trackpads is sitting at version 4.0.5, the version windows update installs). But after some digging on the asus support site, there is a much newer set of drivers and software that came out on Friday (13 November 2015). If the above mechanism doesn't work for you I would suggest downloading this newer Smart Gesture version (4.0.12) and hopefully it can help resolve this weird behavior.

If you visit: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download Smart Gesture
You should see Smart Gesture for notebooks listed, with Windows 10 64bit and 32bit listed in the OS drop down, and with 4 versions of Smart Gesture available for installation, with v4.0.5 being the oldest version listed.

No idea why they haven't supplied the newer builds to Windows Update, but they definitely do exist!

Out of curiosity what Asus machine do you have?

Otherwise I do hope the above helps sort your issue, please do let me know if it helps.

I have a ASUS Vivobook xc202e. Its a touchscreen 13.3" .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happy