Want to revert back to Windows Insider build .164, how can I?

Neil Katz

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Want to revert back to Windows Insider build .164

Last night, I updated my Lumia 640 on the slow ring from version .164 to the latest available version, 14295. After doing this, I saw that many of my apps were no longer installed, even though they appeared (darkened out) on the Start Menu All Apps list. I waited a while, but none of them became active. I tried uninstalling, and reinstalling the apps, which results in errors with a code of 0x80073CF9. some of these apps are Adobe Acrobat and Photoshop Elements Express,Amazing Weather HD, Weather channel, Bing Rewards, Brother iPrint&Scan, CNET, CNN...you get the idea. I also saw some App Updates in the stores, but when I tried installing these, they also ended with the same error.. Additionally, I am no longer able to listen to music, my phone is subject to frequent reboots, Mobile Hotspot does not appear to be working, and I'm sure there are other problems that I have not found yet.

In short, I would like to revert back to my previous Insider build, .164, which I found to be very stable. How can I do this? It is my understanding that using the Recovery tool will bring me back to 8.1, and that I would have to proceed to reinstall the Insider build(s) from there. Another option would be a hard reset, which will wipe out all of my apps and data, and still leave me in the newest build.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: Want to revert back to Windows Insider build .164

Last night, I updated my Lumia 640 on the slow ring from version .164 to the latest available version, 14295. After doing this, I saw that many of my apps were no longer installed, even though they appeared (darkened out) on the Start Menu All Apps list. I waited a while, but none of them became active. I tried uninstalling, and reinstalling the apps, which results in errors with a code of 0x80073CF9. some of these apps are Adobe Acrobat and Photoshop Elements Express,Amazing Weather HD, Weather channel, Bing Rewards, Brother iPrint&Scan, CNET, CNN...you get the idea. I also saw some App Updates in the stores, but when I tried installing these, they also ended with the same error.. Additionally, I am no longer able to listen to music, my phone is subject to frequent reboots, Mobile Hotspot does not appear to be working, and I'm sure there are other problems that I have not found yet.

In short, I would like to revert back to my previous Insider build, .164, which I found to be very stable. How can I do this? It is my understanding that using the Recovery tool will bring me back to 8.1, and that I would have to proceed to reinstall the Insider build(s) from there. Another option would be a hard reset, which will wipe out all of my apps and data, and still leave me in the newest build.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Remove your sd card for now and install all apps in phone memory, going to Store, my downloads, check updates now.
That resovles the most of iussues in first days. Then you can put sd again and let phone delete old installation on it

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site

Hi, have you tried a soft reset yet? It fixed similar issues with apps when I first updated to 14295.

Windows Device Recovery Tool will take you to WP8.1. However you should then be able to upgrade through the 'Upgrade Advisor' app to official W10M, firstly to .107 and then to .164.
Or you could install Insider app and choose 'production' ring and then update to .164.
If you are on build 14295 a hard reset will just give you a clean install of the same build.

Neil Katz

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site

Will this also fix my Hotspot issue? When I click on "Mobile Hotspots" in the Notification Center, nothing happens. When I hold it down, it opens Mobile Hotspot in the Settings, which is set to Off. When I try to change it to on, it says "We can't set up mobile hotspot". Note - I am on a cellular, not a wi-fi connection. If not, I will probably have to got the revert to 8.1 and upgrade to 10 route.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Will this also fix my Hotspot issue? When I click on "Mobile Hotspots" in the Notification Center, nothing happens. When I hold it down, it opens Mobile Hotspot in the Settings, which is set to Off. When I try to change it to on, it says "We can't set up mobile hotspot". Note - I am on a cellular, not a wi-fi connection. If not, I will probably have to got the revert to 8.1 and upgrade to 10 route.

Hot spot iussue are on 80% due to APN settings lost during upgrade

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

OK - now how do I fix this? It also appears that I cannot turn wi-fi on.

if your turn hotspot on, you cannot turn wifi on. that's obvious, they are opposite. Go in settings, and check SIm internet.
If you want turn wifi on, you must turn off hotspot

Neil Katz

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site

I know that both cannot be turned on at the same time, just making the point that neither is working. SIM setting says Default APN activated. Tried updating Cellular settings - nothing changed.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

I know that both cannot be turned on at the same time, just making the point that neither is working. SIM setting says Default APN activated. Tried updating Cellular settings - nothing changed.

Default means nothing. Check text and confirm with your carrier apn. If necesary,you can edit it

PS: if you don't quote, I cannot see your answer

Neil Katz

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site

Default means nothing. Check text and confirm with your carrier apn. If necesary,you can edit it

PS: if you don't quote, I cannot see your answer

Found the settings on the web and applied them to a new APN. I can access the internet through my cellular connection, but the situation remains the same...no hotspot, no Wi-Fi.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Found the settings on the web and applied them to a new APN. I can access the internet through my cellular connection, but the situation remains the same...no hotspot, no Wi-Fi.

You can only make an hotspot if your carriers has unlocked that. If you got a GB inclusive plan for only phone browsing, you cannot ever share it.
Ask you carrier for details

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb