Want to switch to WP but have some reservations!

RazrHD132

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Hey all.

I am a current Android user (Motorola RAZR HD) and have been pretty happy with Android all in all but have been wanting to delve into the Windows Phone side of things and see what that is like (and moreso get back on a Nokia!).
Been looking specifically at the Nokia 1020 and up-and-coming 1520 but the 1520 is not offered here in Canada yet.

If/when I make the switch, i am worried about a couple things that I enjoy my Motorola for.
First and foremost is the SD expansion (obviously present on the 1520) that i love. If i went to the 1020 i would probably have to use the cloud (skydrive) a lot for photos (i have the app installed on my Android but don't enjoy using it cause it takes way too long to load anything).
Second, I use my Motorola heavily for navigation, and have a specific dock that fits my phone and charges it when in my truck. Would Nokia offer anything comparable?

Further, i am worried about no HDMI output which i enjoy using for streaming Netflix to my TV. Does Nokia offer anything comparable such as slimport or the like?

Thanks for answering my questions

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey all.

I am a current Android user (Motorola RAZR HD) and have been pretty happy with Android all in all but have been wanting to delve into the Windows Phone side of things and see what that is like (and moreso get back on a Nokia!).
Been looking specifically at the Nokia 1020 and up-and-coming 1520 but the 1520 is not offered here in Canada yet.

If/when I make the switch, i am worried about a couple things that I enjoy my Motorola for.
First and foremost is the SD expansion (obviously present on the 1520) that i love. If i went to the 1020 i would probably have to use the cloud (skydrive) a lot for photos (i have the app installed on my Android but don't enjoy using it cause it takes way too long to load anything). so what are you asking?
Second, I use my Motorola heavily for navigation, and have a specific dock that fits my phone and charges it when in my truck. Would Nokia offer anything comparable?
Nokia Lumia's offer free offline GPS navigation through the well-made HERE Drive (+). I believe there's also a dock, it can wirelessly charge too, although I don't know if the 1520 would fit.
Further, i am worried about no HDMI output which i enjoy using for streaming Netflix to my TV. Does Nokia offer anything comparable such as slimport or the like?
dont know myself

Thanks for answering my questions

my attempt at helping above in bold

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
SD support is currently very restricted on WP. Media only. You can't install apps to it, apps cannot write to it, nothing! The only exception is, the system can save and read pictures, music and videos to/from SD, and apps can utilize this to get pictures and music onto the SD or access whatever media content is on SD. But anything else, like app caches, downloads, etc, cannot be written on the SD. From a PC you can move anything to SD, however WP limits what apps can read from the SD! There are workarounds (apparently an app cannot be associated with more than a few certain extension types, so a few apps that support SD will ask you to rename .pdf to .pdf.blah).

While this is a PITA, it's not crippling. You just need a device with more than 8GB of internal storage for sure.

Navigation is imo one of a WP nokia's strong point. Nokia's GPS apps are free for Nokia phones and they are amazing. There is a car dock/charger but it's expensive. I bought a regular wireless charging plate and wired it up to my car for $30.

No output suitable for netflix- get a roku or some sort of tv device.

RazrHD132

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I would primarily be worried about no SD card because of the music i like to have in my library.
The offline GPS sounds great however!

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would primarily be worried about no SD card because of the music i like to have in my library.
The offline GPS sounds great however!

Just curious...how much space do you currently have used in total on your Droid Razr HD?

RazrHD132

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Internal (no music) about 4gigs used (of 16 total).
External about 28gigs used (of 32gigs total).
I guess if it came down to it, i would just have to be selective about the music i put on (probably a sacrifice i would be willing to make).
Just worried about the music combined with photos from the 1020's camera files

Thanks for all the responses

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Internal (no music) about 4gigs used (of 16 total).
External about 28gigs used (of 32gigs total).
I guess if it came down to it, i would just have to be selective about the music i put on (probably a sacrifice i would be willing to make).
Just worried about the music combined with photos from the 1020's camera files

Thanks for all the responses

That's definitely understandable. You can set it to automatically save taken pictures to SkyDrive which I find very handy. Just one thing to consider.

regi7

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I use a 64 gig expansion SD card on my 1520 with no problem. Navigation works great. And my biggest selling point is that I unplugged my phone from the charger at 9AM this morning and 8.5 hours later, my battery's at 81%! I didn't know the battery would be this good!

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I use a 64 gig expansion SD card on my 1520 with no problem. Navigation works great. And my biggest selling point is that I unplugged my phone from the charger at 9AM this morning and 8.5 hours later, my battery's at 81%! I didn't know the battery would be this good!

It does have a 3400mAh battery ;) lol. Ugh...the 1520 is my dream phone but I am on Verizon. I hate carrier exclusives! lol

RazrHD132

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I must say i am a little worried about the size of the 1520 as well... My current phone has a 4.7" screen and that even seems a little big!
The 1520 is what i am leaning towards though cause of the expandable memory

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I must say i am a little worried about the size of the 1520 as well... My current phone has a 4.7" screen and that even seems a little big!

If 4.7 feels a little big, DO NOT get the 1520.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

The main thing is just to try out both phones and see what feels best. You might be completely surprised and find that the 1520 feels great to you. Who knows?

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I just found out that pocket file manager can write to the SD with a few caveats.

It can take any file, say movie.mkv, rename it to movie.mkv.mp3, and tell the system to import it into the media library. If you have the SD card set as the storage location for music and pictures, it gets written to SD.

However once it's in there you can't open it from the phone; pocket file manager can't see it and WP thinks it's a broken mp3. You can delete it from the music app, but you'll need a PC to rename it to movie.mkv again.

I have an idea though, I'll email the dev to see if we can brainstorm a workaround.

RazrHD132

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Anyone have any opinions on my current Motorola RAZR HD vs a Samsung ATIV S or say a Nokia 1020?
Spec-wise, the phones are all about the same with exception to the cameras.
The Samsung ATIV is currently on sale from expansys.ca for $260 unlocked and offers the same amount of space (16gigs +32gigs expandable memory).
I am not sure whether it is just worth it to bite the bullet and go with the Nokia which offers awesome Nav apps and Camera apps (but no expandable memory) or if the Samsung (which is over a year old now) is worth a try just to get me into a Windows Phone...

What do you guys think?

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Hey all.

First and foremost is the SD expansion (obviously present on the 1520) that i love. If i went to the 1020 i would probably have to use the cloud (skydrive) a lot for photos (i have the app installed on my Android but don't enjoy using it cause it takes way too long to load anything).

I was a long-time Android user too until about 6 months ago. I made the switch and it is much better.

1. SD expansion. I have the Lumia 928. It has 32GB built in, plus SkyDrive storage. I've found that I have more than enough space for all my apps, music files, videos, and photos with that combo. SkyDrive may be sluggish on Android (As are most apps, in my experience), but it's snappy in Windows Phone. It's seamlessly built into the operating system.

2. As others have mentioned, Nokia's HERE suite is very good.

3. I believe you can use Nokia's 'Play To' app to any device that supports DLNA and is on the same Wi-Fi connection. Also, Xbox Video, when it launches soon, should allow you to stream videos to your PC and TV (at least the current Windows 8 and Windows RT versions do: I do it now with my Surface, so I'd be surprised if the Windows Version doesn't as well).

4. The Samsung Ativ S is a great phone, but I'd highly recommend you get a Nokia. They have a ton more exclusive apps, better camera hardware and software, and are just much more invested in the Windows Phone arena. You can't go wrong with an Ativ S either.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I would lean toward the Lumia 1020. Samsung is not very dedicated to Windows Phone. The ATIV is just a recycled Android phone for the most part. It does offer expandable memory, but at the caveat of only 8GBs internally I believe.

I just got my Lumia 1020 a few weeks ago. By far the best phone I've ever owned. Absolutely gorgeous phone and screen. The camera is certainly impressive.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
If you're worrying about storage, then the Samsung Ativ S is going to be the one to choose out of those two purely for the expandable storage. However, if you think you can manage your media and work fine with a fixed 32GB of storage, then it's a definite winner for the 1020, not just because of the camera, but all of Nokia's apps and support. But, as was mentioned above, if you're snap happy with the 1020, the pictures alone are going to start taking up quite a bit of space. You can always help this situation a bit by utilizing your free 7GB of SkyDrive storage, or pay for extra storage on SkyDrive (it's not that expensive). Basically I'd say, out of those two phones, if you can manage your data on 32GB's worth of storage, then go for the 1020.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Nokia apps are now available to anyone with a WP handset if I am not mistaken. The camera on the 1020 is much superior to the one on ATIV S.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Nokia apps are now available to anyone with a WP handset if I am not mistaken. The camera on the 1020 is much superior to the one on ATIV S.

Nokia have made some available to other devices, but not all. With the HERE collection of apps, anyone from outside the US, Canada, Mexico, UK, France, Italy, Germany and Spain, do not get HERE Transit without paying (some countries can't get it at all) and HERE Drive is not available to them, only the paid HERE Drive+.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb