Was Xbox one worth the wait

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
then they come back with Day One DLC, a $50 season pass with 60 more cars, and have that absurd token system .

What is all this "season pass" stuff I'm seeing on most of the launch games? I believe like Call of Duty has it, Dead Rising 3 has it, etc. What the hell is a season pass to a videogame?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
What is all this "season pass" stuff I'm seeing on most of the launch games? I believe like Call of Duty has it, Dead Rising 3 has it, etc. What the hell is a season pass to a videogame?

It's (almost) all of the overpriced DLC over the game's first year, guaranteed to the buyer of the pass at a single, "low" price. So, while Call of Duty will get 4 $15 map packs over the next year, you can get all 4 for $50 with the pass, saving you $10. with Forza, you get 60 cars you won't ever drive for $50, because spending $60 on a game whose graphics got downgraded late in its development cycle and getting less than half of the content of its predecessor just wasn't a big-enough rip-off.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
It's (almost) all of the overpriced DLC over the game's first year, guaranteed to the buyer of the pass at a single, "low" price. So, while Call of Duty will get 4 $15 map packs over the next year, you can get all 4 for $50 with the pass, saving you $10. with Forza, you get 60 cars you won't ever drive for $50, because spending $60 on a game whose graphics got downgraded late in its development cycle and getting less than half of the content of its predecessor just wasn't a big-enough rip-off.

Okay, but you get to keep the DLC forever, right? The 'season pass' wording makes it sound like you only get to use it for a year. Regardless, I hate this trend towards IAP / microtransactions. It incentivizes developers to put less into the game originally, still charge full price, and then charge more for the removed features later on. Not good for consumers.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well worth it. The voice recognition and gestures are pretty amazing. The UI and sound effects are pretty neat too. Only thing is it's pretty noisy when the BluRay drive is in use.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Okay, but you get to keep the DLC forever, right? The 'season pass' wording makes it sound like you only get to use it for a year. Regardless, I hate this trend towards IAP / microtransactions. It incentivizes developers to put less into the game originally, still charge full price, and then charge more for the removed features later on. Not good for consumers.

Yeah, I think the "season" part relates more towards the cycle of the game than ownership. There is only DLC during that game's "season," or its first year (after which meany games get new iterations released).

I agree 100% about the issues with this stuff, though. It was funny back when one user on here was defending the high prices of things by saying that the cost of development has gone up so much that game prices SHOULD increase, but they aren't. He was dead wrong, because we're looking at a future where EVERY game comes out gimped in one way or the other, still costs $60, then adds on another $40-50 in DLC, which doesn't even get it back to being on-par with its predecessor (such as with Forza 5). If developers think that $100+ for a game is a reasonable economic strategy, they're wrong. If Forza 5 launched for $40, I'd be OK with it, and I'd even consider the pass (if it added anything meaningful). Stripping half of the cars, arguably the biggest-name track (Nurburgring), and a bunch of other tracks, and still charging $60 means I go from $60 invested to $0.

Before I go on a rant and get in trouble for speaking my mind on an off-topic subject, I'll just stop by saying that this idea of gouging people for nearly TWICE the price of the game (in some instances) is a joke. What's worse is that if you DON'T buy the DLC, you still have it held against your Achievement progress. Oh, I got 100% on Skyrim? Wrong, I am at 67% completion because there was DLC I never purchased added to my profile, and it is dragging down my completion percentage on numerous games (Halo 4, Black Ops, Black Ops II, Skyrim, Forza 4). I am now debating if I want to get 10 games for $60 each, or if I want to get 5 games and their DLC for $100 each, in the name of finishing everything. That, or I'm debating if I want to only buy games WITHOUT a map pass and in-app purchases, with Halo (my favorite franchise) being the only exception.

All of that is why it's hard to determine if these new consoles are worth it. I'm not a big fan of fighting games, but I would totally try Killer Instinct out, since it's free. Well, I would, but the idea that I'm going to need to put a credit card on my account and spend $20+ on characters to earn Achievements kills me.

sejgiul

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Don't bother..yet.

Pros
You get the latest right now! so you can tell ppl about it and experience the VERY limited games
Erm..that's it!

Cons
Limited Games
Hardware and software glitches
Software not optimised, you are essentially paying a lot more to be their 'ginea pigs'
Depending on the country you are in the TV guide (big USP) will not work in your country until 2014

Over the PS4 and Xbox i am definitely getting the Xbox - i had it on preorder and after looking at the issues, cancelled it and decided to wait (the same reason i waited until the Surface Pro 2came out) i wont die if i wait until the pros far out weigh the cons.

Having said all that i understand if you cant control the itch of wanting it now..many cant!

Agreed. By all means if you have money spare (who has nowadays though?), buy it, else wait til next xmas. You've hung on to the 360 for 8 odd years (I assume), what is another year? :)

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Heck, even waiting until Christmas is easy. There aren't really any great games coming in the near-future, so I'd say that if you can wait, wait until Titanfall. There might be a limited-edition console or a price drop or something.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't expect a price drop until March of 2015 IMHO. Could be wrong tho, depends on how they sell until supply catches up with demand.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Pros
You get the latest right now! so you can tell ppl about it and experience the VERY limited games
Erm..that's it!

Cons
Limited Games
Hardware and software glitches
Software not optimised, you are essentially paying a lot more to be their 'ginea pigs'
Depending on the country you are in the TV guide (big USP) will not work in your country until 2014

I agree with all these points. It's a very beta console at best right now. I encounter so many little bugs, glitches, freezes. But when it works it works beautifully. I think this console shows more promise personally in terms of features and content than the PS4 but it's just that we'll have to be patient to experience all of it. A handful of major updates should get this thing to do what it was promised to do.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes Indeed it was - In all honesty, sure Ryse for example is not 1080p but as I was playing my bro and cousin (both die hard and staunch playstation fans) commented how amazing the game looked. Enough to watch me actually play the game start to finish over the weekend. The first thing we all three commented was how amazing the lighting looked.

Also I played deadrising 3 for abit and the game just drew all of us in, to the point we all jumped when I got jumped by the first zombie haha. I am really excited what the games and experiences these next gen consoles will bring. Also you don't need to plug in the Kinect to start the x1, however you cant use the upload studio without it.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yea, so far, it might be a wait.... Unless you have expendable cash(or screw you money as I call it) sitting around and MUST have it. The games are nice and no question even tho some in 720p, they are all (from what I have seen/played) much better in detail. It's a worty upgrade but, like others say, very limited titles right now, so if you see a few (3-4) that you want to play, then maybe because new games should be out in a few months and they should hold you off.

It's a nice system no question but, it's got it's bugs too...

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I really wouldn't expect price drops until late 2014 if even then. It seems that many markets might not be even seeing the Xbox One until halfway of 2014..

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
In a nut shell, if you see 3-4 games you can't live with out, Grab one. If your meh to the release games or only really want 1 of them, Wait till there is about 3-5 titles you would like to play (as you will get board with the system very quicly when you run out of games to play)

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
In a nut shell, if you see 3-4 games you can't live with out, Grab one. If your meh to the release games or only really want 1 of them, Wait till there is about 3-5 titles you would like to play (as you will get board with the system very quickly when you run out of games to play)

This very much. I have 2 games and im currently pretty bored with them both. I can play forza for about 1.5 hours, dont get me wrong it's a great game just can only race for so long. COD i max out at about 45 min. This game is just not fun on mode for any considerable amount of time.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I've gotten bored with Battlefield, but Forza I could play nonstop lol. It would be much more fun though if my friends would buy a dam Xbox One already. I have one person on my 99 person friends list with an Xbox One. I barely even know the kid!

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site

It isn't a great article. He brings up some nit-picky things - especially about the size of the console and the current game library.

Microsoft has shown that their systems don't stay the same and they will change (more than likely for the better - the 360 is an infinitely better game system and device now than what it was in 2005).

I'm also getting pretty tired of everyone talking about how the 'graphics aren't that much better than the 360/PS3 games.' You're right, they aren't all tapping into the power of these systems right now. But, again - go look at the first 360/PS3 games to come out. They look terrible compared to today. Seriously COD2 looks awful compared to COD:Ghosts. It amazes me what developers have been able to bring out of the 360 after 8 years, I can't wait to see what devs do with the One and PS4 in a few years...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss