WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Wow. It sounds like they will have a limited pool to play against. What's the point (imo)?

They originally wanted like 20 clubs in it. 15 founding clubs and 5 that'd joing through regional qualifier or something along those lines. But they couldn't find another 3 clubs (probably wanted Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund in there as well, but they declined).

It's all a bit sketchy. The league's president is the Real Madrid CEO and vice presidents are also sketchy (maybe I'm biased here).

The point is, money. They're using COVID as an excuse while they already tried doing something similar 10-15 years ago and failed.
UEFA Champions League is a big money maker, a HUGE one. It's more competitive than both European and especially the World Cup, so literally nobody has a guaranteed spot, let alone a payout. By their math (don't know if it's actually true, but no reasons to doubt) those 12 clubs would have around 10 billion dollar yearly profit. So that's why.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Oh no. Based on what you said, do you think it will go through?

Really hard to say. Now that it's gone public (afaik it was supposed to remain a secret) everyone is backing off and walking away from the document, trying to clear their name.

Nobody believed the '90s war would happen, now nobody believes either. But Russia's been doing some crazy sh** with Ukraine in the past few years and they're constantly trying to increase their influence here as well.
They even said 'appropriate meassures would be taken' if we were to join NATO (which majority of the country wants). Serbian nationalist have been trying to secede from Bosnia many times now (this would be their doom since they're economically very far behind and a huge number of them actually work in Federation) and Croats are trying to get their own entity within the country - with plans of eventually merging with Croatia.

Honestly, yes, I do think it is the possibility, but not without a war unfortunately.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
One small silver lining is that Slobodan Milosevic is as dead as Generalissimo Francisco Franco (that's a Chevy Chase joke, I wouldn't expect anyone under 50 to get it).

I know who Franco is, learned a bit about him in school as well on my own. Reason I know a thing or two about him is because of football lol. Barcelona wasn't allowed to beat Real Madrid back when he was the, well, ruler? Not a president really.

Anyway, yes, he's dead, but I'd rather see him live a long life behind bars paying a fraction of what his regime has done.

But trust me, him around or not, there's still so much hate on all sides.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
It may be a little of both. Hybrids are different from EVs in that they have a gas engine and use batteries to complement so the battery packs are significantly smaller. EVs like Tesla and others are full-bore electrics and have massive battery packs. If a Prius gets into a bad enough wreck where the fuel tank or a fuel line is ruptured you would likely have a fire just like any other car. Happens all the time so it wouldn't get the same press. There was a case down here in SoFla last year where an attorney was trapped in his Tesla when it caught fire after a minor fender bender but the electrical system went kaput and he was locked in his car and tragically died in the subsequent fire. The moral of the story is if you're going to get one of these fancy golf carts, get a convertible.

From what I've seen from the reviews, Tesla is great as a new technology, but lacks a lot as a modern car.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Wow. It sounds like they will have a limited pool to play against. What's the point (imo)?

Also, forgot to mention, these 12 clubs have more than 2 billion dollars debt combined. This is not 'saving football', this is saving their as**.

Just go through Real Madrid's or Barcelona's investments in the last 15 years, you'll quickly come to a conclusion as to why is this happening.

Young player, having a good season? And he's 20yo?? Well boy oh boy, he must be worth 120mil euros.
A guy with an expired contract, that means no extra fees to the current club, well here's 20mil€/month for you plus bonuses.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
And people have the nerve to call out clubs like Bayern for not stepping up their investment game. No 20yo is worth 120mil €.

A note to be taken, football is one of the highest payed sports out there, but there's not as many lucrative deals as there are in NBA or NFL.
The only stupidly huge deal that made it's way to the public is that of Messi, and it's some $670mil/4 years.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
And people have the nerve to call out clubs like Bayern for not stepping up their investment game. No 20yo is worth 120mil €.

A note to be taken, football is one of the highest payed sports out there, but there's not as many lucrative deals as there are in NBA or NFL.
The only stupidly huge deal that made it's way to the public is that of Messi, and it's some $670mil/4 years.

Wow! I wasn't aware of Leo's contract, that is stupidly insane. I thought some of the recent baseball deals were crazy but they are for 3 times longer than that monstrosity. Mike Trout - $426M/12 years, Giancarlo Stanton $325M/13 years (that one was signed in2014!). If only I hadn't blown my knee out in junior high.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Post vaccination first outing.
Actually it was a doctor appointment about 80 miles away. Reached early so enjoyed a latte and the view of the Newport Beach harbor.
PXL_20210421_163128532.jpg

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
TIL that a succulent in our yard can yield beautiful flowers. Hopefully in a year or two we'll see these pretty flowers.

Pictures are courtesy of the Pixel 4a 5G. Finally off the Samsung wagon.
PXL_20210421_163110533.jpg

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Device wise I sold off my S20 FE and switched to the Pixel 4a 5G.

Need to sell my S21 (since it stays in my drawer) and a Pixel 4a LTE.

And a few other Xiaomi devices as well.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
So I went to a Nationals game recently and aside from being cold, it was good. The mask enforcement was good and the safety precautions were solid. Seats are spaced out very well.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I was planning to buy the 12 mini originally but I wouldn't have guessed that they would release it in purple. I like it in purple actually, so it seems like it paid off to wait it out even though I was forced to

Now I'm curious though, for y'all that got a 12 (regular, pro, or mini), did you get a new brick? I feel like I should do that at the minimum. I'm also considering another cable for car usage.

Edit: I decided to just get a brick for now, since it doesn't come with one. I'll just deal with having "slow" chargers for a while.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Also, heads up to any of y'all wanting new windows. Go for it, but be prepared to wait for many weeks. Mine finally came a few weeks ago, but I'm a door short (they miscalculated) and I am waiting for that. I'm really hoping that it will not take another month, as it took a whole quarter of the year and some to get to this point.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Just learned that we will be returning to working on site every work day in less than 3 months. Since the start of this year, we have been doing 2 days on site. The adjustment will be real. I wonder how that's going in other areas. Also, I'm close to reaching the point of full vaccination but we still have to test 2x a week so I haven't shared any data with work about my status.

And I believe this is my last post drop in a row for now.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Wow! I wasn't aware of Leo's contract, that is stupidly insane. I thought some of the recent baseball deals were crazy but they are for 3 times longer than that monstrosity. Mike Trout - $426M/12 years, Giancarlo Stanton $325M/13 years (that one was signed in2014!). If only I hadn't blown my knee out in junior high.

Yeah, his deal is huge, I think 80% of Barcelona's budget goes to the player sales. Just very very bad decisions.

Cristiano Ronaldo's deal in Juventus is also huge, but not fully public. Because of him, the FCA (Fiat to be precise) had to lower their workers' wages since they're the ones paying for it.

And how the hell does someone sign a 12 year deal? Now that's a commitment.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria