WC kills the browser/PC without an adblocker doesn't work?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Try it out. Turn off your adblocker, and wait for the 27 video ads to kill your browser and start your machine on fire. My machine literally locks up, and it's a box stock Surface Pro 4 i7 w 16GB of RAM. Same thing happens on a server box that I have that's running nothing but base windows. Happens in both IE and Edge.

So I do the obvious thing, and install an ad blocker. Now I can actually use your website (good!) - things load in a timely manner, and I have control over my computers resources. I no longer have 4 video ads trying to start up when I hit the website, wow, things are good. Now I click to find out if you guys knew that the OnStar app has been discontinued for WP. I click on the search button, and nothing happens. I then move to IE and try the same thing, same results...

I start reading down the page, I get to the end of the articles, and click on "More Content", again, nothing happens....

Now it appears that I can't use your website with an adblocker, or without one. To be honest, the only reason that I even installed an adblocker was because your website was killing my machine, so I went searching. I found that it was the ads, and your website single-handedly brought me to the realization that I needed an adblocker. Isn't that a catch 22?

Seriously, turn off the 5 video ads that start as the page is loading, and tone down the page a little. I get that things are probably a little tough right now, but the way that your site works right now, if it doesn't change fast, I'll just give it up. I've been reading your website since WM5.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
re: WC kills the browser/PC without an adblocker & doesn't work?

Opera browser with built-in adblock + adblock extension work very well together.

With Opera you can compare page load time with built-in adblock on/off. You'll be amazed :)

Update. This is what I was talking about
WC.png

Last edited:

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Do you guys realize that WC kills the broser/PC without an adblocker & doesn't work with one?

No, you are wrong... This is site about MS and therefor should be optimized for MS products...

Welcome back to Windows Central @tole011

Are you saying that Windows Central should be optimized for Microsoft products because this site is about Microsoft devices?

Well Microsoft Edge has been known to have trouble (for some people) with Windows Central, and internet explorer is never a good option for any website, lol. IE is out dated and isn't the best option out there... Sorry if anyone out there uses it.

I have no problem with MS Edge here, without ad blocker too

Have you tried Chrome, Firefox, Opera, etc... with and without an Ad blocker?

I rarely use the browser version of WC (as I'm always on the app) but I have little to no problem, it takes an extra second to load everything but after that it's fine for me.

skydiverian

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: Do you guys realize that WC kills the broser/PC without an adblocker & doesn't work with one?

Welcome back to Windows Central @tole011 Have you tried Chrome, Firefox, Opera, etc... with and without an Ad blocker?

That is poor advice - if the site does not load properly, why should I stay if it can't be updated to correct the issue? It's also not any better than the classic answer people used to give when problems with IE occurred by linking to the Firefox download page as the solution.

I have the same problem with both IE and Edge - IE started playing up last week, Edge did so tonight. Disabling adblockers doesn't resolve the problem. Not something I should have to switch browser to resolve (and have already done so by moving to Edge as I'm still happy with IE).

Any suggestion as to how to report this as an issue would be appreciated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshi