Website coding optimization, the irony is not amusing

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft was never serious about IE they just ignored developer's. Still they are not serious. Look at metro IE.
If Microsoft themself do every thing half baked how could we expect 3rd part developer to work with them?

Sent from my Uuusumm Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Oh ok, I think I was just curious myself about the idea of a single rendering engine universe where each company forked it and gave it their own flavor for their browsers. Regarding your point, I agree that it would free up engineers to do more useful things but I imagine that MS is a company that is big enough to employ for whatever project they need developers for. If they went this route I imagine that IE developers would just get canned.

Also, I think if there IE turned to Webkit I think that there would still be plenty for MS engineers to do, optimizing for MS online products, etc.

Well, hopefully no optimisation would be needed, as MS would keep to web standards for their services and they would work well for everyone. Not everyone uses a Microsoft browser these days. :)

Yes, in this case I'd be referring to IE, but as the OP suggests, as time goes by the browser with this label changes.

And speaking of standards ... regardless of what the W3C standards are, if webkit becomes the defacto standard by having hypothetically 90% market penetration, does that mean anything else is no longer standard? Geniunely curious.

It is an interesting question. I guess it depends how you define 'standard'. Windows is effectively the standard PC software platform, despite being highly proprietary and under the control of a single company.

BTW, I can see advantages for the wider industry in Microsoft continuing to maintain Trident. Competition is probably good in this case, and it helps ensure others follow standards too. It probably benefits everyone, even those who don't use any MS products. The question is whether Microsoft themselves gain much from this, and whether their shareholders are prepared to continue funding it.

Another possibility would be for Microsoft to make Trident open source. Browsers are integrated into many different products so there might be others who would use it. And over time, costs to Microsoft should fall as the effort to maintain and develop Trident would be spread over several companies. Trident itself might improve as well, and become more competitive.

I will be very interested to see what the new CEO does.

Silver Wind

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I remember reading on a Microsoft blog post about trident rendering windows explorer. It makes sense when you think about past concepts like active desktop backgrounds (a webpage as the desktop background).

It is also quite clear that current IE is much faster at JavaScript processing than the current crop of webkit browsers. I guess you that's trident's doing. With that said, trident is in some ways better than webkit (just at the WebGL rendering on IE11). It is therefore impractical for Microsoft to abandon trident for something lesser, simply cuz some ie-hating webmasters don't support it.

This brings up the real issue. The only pages I've seen recently that don't render well on IE do fine on IE11. It is not a case of IE not rendering them well - it's a case of the webpage sniffing UserAgents (IE11 has changed the UserAgent template - it doesn't say MSIE anywhere now).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124