What about the fingerprint scanner?

David Feifer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I am using the scanner on my Lenovo T530 and other then the smile/wink animation at login I don't really see any difference to windows 8.1.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I am using the scanner on my Lenovo T530 and other then the smile/wink animation at login I don't really see any difference to windows 8.1.

The difference is that it is supposed to replace your password as part of the built-in OS. With Windows 8.1, you had to use proprietary software in order to accomplish it. This is something that a large majority of users in the past never had easy access to and most people never thought about. Basically, it makes the extra security available to the masses. Also, it should be able to use that authentication anytime you need to make a store purchase to protect your credentials and finances, and the old proprietary software couldn't do that.

David Feifer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I didn't actually need any proprietary software for 8.1 and I have been using my fingerprint to log on to the domain for years. Though I may be one of the lucky ones that have a directly supported chip. Few of the MS employees I know use the exact same laptop.. I think the main difference that I am anticipating is the usage of the scanner for alternate applications other then logon. ie. I would love to be able to give it the finger when I need domain admin privileges (we have a pretty convoluted username and password for the account) as well as login for personal website accounts and games.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I checked with the Lenovo Support site for the T530, and they appear to not have released a driver for the Fingerprint Scanner for Windows 10. There are some models of laptops that are, unfortunately, out of luck with this particular issue. You will need to contact Lenovo Support to get further assistance with this issue.

Vlatko Stojanovski

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately they do not offer support for it. :(

From their windows 10 support page:

"Driver for following devices are provided as is and there is no additional support.

- Authentic Fingerprint Reader"

More unfortunate, neither does Microsoft, their "latest driver" found through update is from 2013 :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss