What are the chances that the new Amazon phone is a Windows Phone?

korggy

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I thought it was strange that we started hearing rumors that "Microsoft is coming out with a 3D phone" and "Amazon is coming out with a 3D phone" at roughly the same time ... which led me to wonder, what are the chances that Amazon is building their new phone on the Windows Phone platform? Ok I admit the chances are near zero but crazier things have happened, right?

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Zero. However, it would be awesome, as that would mean we would get the full suite of Amazon Apps. :D. Although, they'd probably be locked to Amazon, like Samsung, HTC and Nokia all have specific Apps.

They have too much invested in their Android Store.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely none. Amazon has too much invested in their forked Android OS to even think about going Windows Phone. And I think that's a good thing.

clvrbas

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
It is going to be interesting to see what Amazon brings to the table. I have a FireTV and love it, my daughter uses a Kindle and it works great

I am a WP user, but I am curious, Amazon does a great job with content.

Now to answer the question i would say zero,, they have everything built into their Mojito OS.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I am a WP user, but I am curious, Amazon does a great job with content.

That's exactly why Amazon sells devices; to sell their content.

Amazon has their own Android App Store with 240,000 apps, so even disregarding the leaks it's logical to assume that their phone will be some version of Android capable of using those apps.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
If Windows Phone can run Amazon (Android) Appstore then there is a chance, otherwise zero chance like everyone else said. Amazon is already too deeply invested in forked Android OS.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Well...it sure would be a real surprise if they did..and would certainly put WP in front of a lot of people...but I don't think it will ever happen.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site

Amazon has their own Android App Store with 240,000 apps, so even disregarding the leaks it's logical to assume that their phone will be some version of Android capable of using those apps.
You're exactly right. From what I heard they plan on selling it at or near cost because they are banking on selling many prime memberships through the phones. I have a feeling the phone will be heavily biased towards needing a prime membership to get the full experience. Who knows though the kindle works fine without prime.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Not necessarily. BlackBerry reached an agreement with Amazon to use their app store on devices running 10.3 later this year. With one pen stroke, BB now has an additional 200k apps to add to its tally. Can't help but think that Chen isn't letting BB go softly into that good night.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Not necessarily. BlackBerry reached an agreement with Amazon to use their app store on devices running 10.3 later this year. With one pen stroke, BB now has an additional 200k apps to add to its tally. Can't help but think that Chen isn't letting BB go softly into that good night.

Well yes you are correct. But looking at it logically, Amazon has the App Store with almost a quarter million Android apps in it. We could be certain that they intended to use it. And the easiest way to do that is to build their OS from Android.

Either way, it's a secret no longer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro