What desktop is shown after login!

weybrew

Jul 1, 2018
Visit site
I am a senior non-techie user and have been trying to clean out and organize my Win 10 files. For whatever reason I have found 3 destop files: one is \user\public\destop, one is at \user\user\desktop, and one at \documents\OneDrive\desktop (I had installed OneDrive at one time but later uninstalled it). Each of these desktop folders is slightly different. I think that the OneDrive desktop file is the one loading after login. I can't believe that's correct. Which desktop should be loading after login? How do I set the one I should see...I am the only user on this PC?

Also, suddenly at each login, all my desktop icons have been moved to the left side of the screen. My desktop wallpaper is correct.

In all my intended cleanup I have obviously done something wrong. Can someone help me straighten things out, please?

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
In File Explorer, under Quick Access, right-click Desktop, go to Properties, and then to Location to confirm. The default is the C:\Users\%UserName% but the stuff in the Public desktop also applies globally in addition to the user. If you create a shortcut on your desktop, it'll appear in your designated location, not in the public. Many apps, especially browsers, will create shortcuts in the public folder to ensure everyone sees them. You need admin permissions to permanently delete anything from the public desktop.

Attachments

• User Desktop location.jpg
    User Desktop location.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

weybrew

Jul 1, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for your reply, spicypalthai. Thanks for that direction. Will it be OK to delete the extra desktop folder in documents\OneDrive\desktop?

weybrew

Jul 1, 2018
Visit site
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I no longer have OneDrive installed. So, in my Chrome settings when I specify Download location as Desktop, the downloads go into the OneDrive\Desktop and I can't redirect to my personal desktop.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I'd change the location (my first reply w/screenshot) to what you want, then change the Chrome download setting which you should be able to do now to C:\Users\%UserName%\Downloads or wherever you want, and if everything works as expected, then delete the OneDrive folder(s).

weybrew

Jul 1, 2018
Visit site
Began to implement your instructions but ran into the following 2 warning screens that freaked me out. Is it still OK to proceed?

Attachments

• desktop warning 1.GIF
    desktop warning 1.GIF
    30.6 KB · Views: 7
  • desktop warning 2.GIF
    desktop warning 2.GIF
    20.4 KB · Views: 7

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Probably, I'm assuming you clicked "Move" and selected the location in the message. What's the location if you click Restore Default?

weybrew

Jul 1, 2018
Visit site
Restore Default locations is C:\users\user-me\desktop just as the one I manually selected. But I get the same warning screens. Do I click "Yes" to each and proceed?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb