What ever happened to the color app icons on the taskbar?

Lewk86

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
10547_icons.pngappiconswithcolor.png

Does anyone remember these icons from build 10547? Does anyone know why Microsoft got rid of them?

Even though they were just on the taskbar, they looked gorgeous and way better than the horrible horrible stark white icons we have now.

Does anyone else agree that they should bring these back and replace the white icons? On both taskbar and tiles?

longlifexs

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Looks a bit Apple-like, but I like it!

But on the other hand the simplicity of the white-only on the tiles in the Start menu is great..and having a different icon for tiles and taskbar seems a bit weird. Maybe that is why they changed it back.

Lewk86

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
That's why i'd love to see them apply these colour icons to the whole app. So they appear as colour on the tiles as well as the taskbar. For me personally, I associate Apps better with colour and feel it's easier to find apps with a bit of colour in them than plain white shapes that become a little indistinguishable from each other.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Having colour used in the icons increases the level of differentiation and makes it easier to pick out what you are looking for, especially on smaller screen devices but that principle holds true across the board.

The problem is, now Windows is in a constant beta state and a stable release is no longer the goal (WaaS), MS need to maintain the air of cutting edge excitement. If you can achieve what you want simply there is no sense of surprise in the results of your actions, and that moves away from the user experience MS are aiming for. So, I don't imagine we are likely to see this feature soon, sorry.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077