What is a good alternate to the Surface Pro?

JohnnyRedLight

May 12, 2017
Visit site
While I agree the x360 is amazing (I have a 13" with QHD OLED) I'm not sure that it would meet the needs of someone who really wants that lighter device with a removable keyboard. Not that the x360 13 is a heavy monster but it does get a little uncomfortable to hold if your reading for a long time.

dirtyvu

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget that Eve V is Y series processors. That is Core M. It's not true core i5 and i7. Intel is trying to confuse the public.

Ira Seigel

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
For me, LTE connectivity is very important. (Second is the typing experience.) Do any of these tablets have a SIM card, like iPads have had for some time now?

Lepoete

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
Don't forget that Eve V is Y series processors. That is Core M. It's not true core i5 and i7. Intel is trying to confuse the public.

Core-m can be enough for most people. I've got a Lenovo Yoga 710 10" with a Core-m5 and it's quite good for everyday usage. I wouldn't do CPU intensive word on there like video editing and gaming, but for most tasks it's got enough power.

For most people, the CPU stands mostly idle most of the time.

anon(10215379)

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
I would not trust a startup/unknown new device for my computer, as the stakes are too high.
I would. Everyone was a start up at some point. The very first Apple was in a wooden box! The Eve V answers some of the questions MS has decided to ignore, price and IO. But, to be fair it is a risk, but, no risk no reward.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Core-m can be enough for most people. I've got a Lenovo Yoga 710 10" with a Core-m5 and it's quite good for everyday usage. I wouldn't do CPU intensive word on there like video editing and gaming, but for most tasks it's got enough power.

But because of how Intel is naming their CPUs, people will see one system with a Core i5 (which used to be called Core M5) and see the Surface Pro Core i5 (which is Kaby Lake U series) and think they're the same even though one CPU/GPU is dramatically inferior.

shanahben

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
I want a Surface Pro but I think it's slightly overpriced. Is there any other devices out there with similar specs that I can get more bang for the buck?

I actually have the same question. Looking at the HP Spectre x360 although it isn't exactly detachable like the Surface Pro.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I want a Surface Pro but I think it's slightly overpriced. Is there any other devices out there with similar specs that I can get more bang for the buck?

Have you considered an earlier surface pro model.

First and second gen surface pro devices are cheap these days. I have a secondhand surface pro first gen device for less than 300 US dollars. Surface 3, pro 3 and ceratain pro 4 models are also worth considering secondhand or refurbished.

All surface pro are high end high quality devices.

I currently own two surface pro first gen devices. One I orignally bought at launch and one 3 years old second hand. Both are still in good condition, are snappy to use with general use. Batterylife is naturally lower with previousgen Li-ion batteries, but not per se due to capacity loss. I am convinced that surface devices are a good investment, even if a couple of years older. The quality is simply very good. The biggest trade off is battery life, especially when baked into the device and non-replaceable. Maybe some minor lagging in spec performance such as pen and cpu performance. But the i5 3317U chipsets still provide a snappy performance with windows 10 creators update. screen still performs well, nightlight works.

ajcletus500

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

I think if someone really doesn't need raw power from their device all the time, the EVE V is the best in the market. but things like service and reliability is something that concerns me

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
I would. Everyone was a start up at some point. The very first Apple was in a wooden box! The Eve V answers some of the questions MS has decided to ignore, price and IO. But, to be fair it is a risk, but, no risk no reward.

I guess it depends on what you are using it for. If it was a consumption device for home use, I guess it wouldn't matter. I intend to use it for business and no... I don't want to be somewhere on the other side of the world and have it fail and not be able to get any help. So for my use, it needs to be from a reputable tier 1 computer maker.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Have you considered an earlier surface pro model.

First and second gen surface pro devices are cheap these days. I have a secondhand surface pro first gen device for less than 300 US dollars. Surface 3, pro 3 and ceratain pro 4 models are also worth considering secondhand or refurbished.

All surface pro are high end high quality devices.

I currently own two surface pro first gen devices. One I orignally bought at launch and one 3 years old second hand. Both are still in good condition, are snappy to use with general use. Batterylife is naturally lower with previousgen Li-ion batteries, but not per se due to capacity loss. I am convinced that surface devices are a good investment, even if a couple of years older. The quality is simply very good. The biggest trade off is battery life, especially when baked into the device and non-replaceable. Maybe some minor lagging in spec performance such as pen and cpu performance. But the i5 3317U chipsets still provide a snappy performance with windows 10 creators update. screen still performs well, nightlight works.

Batteries age as soon as they leave the factory. So a 4 year old OG Surface Pro has a 4 year old battery. It doesn't matter if it was forgotten and shrinkwrapped and tucked away. The battery is 4 years old. And as batteries age, capacity drops.

I still love my Surface Pro 2. But that's as far back as people should consider unless the original generation Surface Pro is dirt dirt cheap. For one thing, the OG Surface Pro has Ivy Bridge for the processor. Pretty ancient and poor with battery life even with new batteries.

The Surface Pro 2 has the same overall form factor, but made a number of significant improvements. For one thing, it has Haswell. And it has the 2-position kickstand. I tried out the original Surface Pro kickstand and I admire its owners because that one position is maddening.

Remember that the Surface Pro 3 was lined up to get Broadwell. However Intel was very late with Broadwell so SP3 ended up with the hotter running Haswell that came from the Surface Pro 2. The Surface Pro 2 was built like a tank and had a thermal design that could withstand the hot Ivy Bridge. That's why Haswell ran better on SP2 than SP3. Because SP3 thermal design was designed to handle the cooler Broadwell but ended up having to manage the heat from Haswell. So SP3 could throttle under load because of heat (which is why i7 on the SP3 was terrible).

My Surface Pro 2 with Core i5, 8 GB RAM, and 512 GB SSD still feels very fast so performance is not an issue. In fact, it's comparable (though slower) than my Surface Pro 4 with Core i7/8GB/256GB. And the SP2 is built like a tank. When you write or draw on the screen, there is ZERO flex. My SP4 flexes all the time because it's so thin and light. You can literally see the screen pinch as you apply pressure just like when you press against an LCD with your thumb on the laptop. On the SP2, you press down on the Gorilla Glass and it's like a rock solid piece of glass.

sssamjoan

Jun 16, 2017
Visit site
I have a 2010 13" MacBook Pro which is pretty much broken and looking to upgrade. Does anyone know if this is comparable to the new MacBooks? So far from reviews, looks like 2017 Surface Pro is the way to go. Has anyone done the switch? Or are they too different?

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
From the prototype it seems like the Eve V is pretty interesting and the io is great, but definitely not as powerful. If you want something LIKE a surface pro but cheaper and less powerful, then I guess you can consider it

CrippsCorner

May 6, 2015
Visit site
The Surface Pro 2 has the same overall form factor, but made a number of significant improvements. For one thing, it has Haswell. And it has the 2-position kickstand. I tried out the original Surface Pro kickstand and I admire its owners because that one position is maddening.

:grin: I've put up with the single position for 4 years! Just got used to it... but just picked me up a new Surface Pro; it's going to be quite the change but I'm looking forward to it.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Anyone have any thoughts on the new HP Sceptre x2?

it's a good machine. no rear camera so no pics or videos. the battery life is a lot less. they fixed it by offering a true i5 and i7. Before, it was strictly Core M series. A lot of bang for the buck. The kickstand is weird and not as functional.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750