What is holding back Windows Phone Adoption?

MarkusDindu

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
The iPhone's and Galaxy's/Note's are really popular, and every carrier stocks them and recommends them. They have all of the latest apps, and they all have good camera's. Why would any normal person, and I specify "normal" here... purchase a Windows Phone? The stuff that we think is awesome and unique means nothing to normal people.

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Everything discussed above - and more - factors in to holding Windows Phone back. Windows Phone is suffering a death of a thousand cuts. It starts with the fact that Windows Phone was extremely late to market relative to the competition, allowing Android and iOS to define the current era of touch-based smartphone UIs/OSes long before Windows Phone launched. The iPhone launched in Summer of 2007; The first Android handset came out in Fall 2008. The first Windows Phone 7 devices came out in Fall 2010, over 3 years after the iPhone, 2 years after Android. In the fast moving mobile market, this was an eternity. Heck, WebOS (remember that?) came out in Summer 2009, over 1 year before WP7. Windows Phone even launched roughly six months after Apple released the 1st iPad. When you're that late to a market that already has two popular competitors, you've got a serious uphill battle in the best case.

When it comes to the UI, not only was WP7 different than the dominant mobile OSes at the time, but UI-wise it had nothing to do with it's namesake desktop OS either, making it doubly confusing to consumers. The situation with Windows 8 is different, but potentially even worse. With Windows 8 there's a coherence between the desktop OS and phone, but given the unpopularity of Windows 8, that doesn't do Windows Phone any favors. When showing off my Windows Phones the reactions have ranged from indifference to a "Yuck, it's like Windows 8" type of reaction. Since I hadn't seen this sort of reaction discussed much in the media, I thought maybe it was just unique to my circle of friends and acquaintances. However a few months ago, Josh Pollard on the Entertainment 2.0 podcast related a similar reaction by a friend of his who, when seeing the tiled interface of a Windows Phone for the first time, refused to look at it any further based on her negative opinion of Windows 8 on a laptop. What's even more interesting is that Josh said she had previously told him that although she hated the interface on her laptop, she could see the potential for it on a tablet. (On a related note, I think it's interesting that while MS is talking about Windows 10 coming to the Xbox One, Microsoft never really highlights that it's currently based on Windows 8. As Paul Thurrott has mentioned, if Windows 8 had taken off, Microsoft would be trumpeting the fact that it's also on the Xbox One. As it is, they're doing their best to distance the Xbox from Windows 8. Can't really do that with Windows Phone, though.)

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I think with Win10 coming out and Universal Apps, there might be an uptick in adoption, but Microsoft will have to have a long term strategy to keep those users engaged or they will see people going back to what they knew before.

One of the biggest things they are going to have to do is get more hardware manuf onboard. Right now, the current crop of handsets are not inspiring at all. There's no compelling reason for someone to pick up a new one.

Bataar

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
The biggest initial problem was Microsoft's inability to market the phone. Marketing has been Microsoft's biggest problem for a long time. Nearly every product they put out or come up with and cancel before production is better than the competitor's product, but because Microsoft can't market it, it fails. Remember the Zune? It was better than the iPod in almost every category and the software was so much better than iTunes it wasn't even funny, but Microsoft just didn't market it. Remember the original Surface "dance" commercials? I wanted a Surface Pro before ever seeing those commercials and after seeing them I wanted an iPad :). Somehow, they got it right with the Xbox brand, but that's been about it.

Once Microsoft can market the Windows Phone, they need to work with the carriers. I don't know why employees at carrier stores don't like Windows Phone, but they definitely seem that way. If/when the phones are in stock, they will drive customers to Android/iPhones. Maybe they make more commission off of them. Maybe those companies offer better spiffs and incentives. Microsoft needs to work with those stores to make sure they're on a level playing field.

Those are the two biggest factors. If they could be fixed, people would be buying Windows Phones a lot more than they are now which would then fix the problem of the app pool as developers would be vastly more inclined to make apps for the platform as the user base would be expanding. I know a lot of Android/iPhone users and every single one of them has been impressed with my Lumia 1520 and like the OS as much if not better than the OS on their phones.

MysticForce

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
From my example people doesn't like all that metro ui.
Also local apps are missing, some of then are useful such as bus lines schedule and similar.

Bojan Malinovic

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
The reason for this thread is to have some data from you guys, the reader of this thread. I am planning to make a review and comparison video of Windows 10 for Phones and Windows Phone 8.1 in terms of the UI design and I need prove the point of Windows Phone UI is good enough and don't fix what is not broken.

Well you made some good points in your poll and in my opinion there are several reasons for slow adoption of WP.

1. Metro/Modern UI is in most cases better solution than IOS/Android have, but just regarding live tiles. Start screen of WP with live tiles is clear, informations are displayed on tiles giving user overview of activity on phone. But rest of UI is confusing for most of users, even I, poweruser find myself confused almost every time when I enter settings. Settings are just thrown away without any obvious order making it difficult to navigate and find what you need. Even though WP is youngest of all three OS-s, only recently, features that are long available on other two platforms are introduced in WP. If MS wanted better adoption they should have opted for faster features introduction.

2. Second and third number should be put under same number. Lack of apps is definitely one of the reason for slow adoption of platform. Even worse thing is that some major apps are published long time ago and saw one or no updates at all. So yes apps are one of main reasons for slow adoption, that is why now MS tries to fix it with W10. Regarding scroogle apps, I dont miss any of them, since there are good alternatives for them, I find MS mail app better than gmail app on Android. Only bummer now is scroogle is changing appi for youtube and it will have some impact on WP.

4. About desing, this one is definitely not the issue, because some of MS phones and previous Nokia phones are one of best looking phones. Anyway adoption of platform is not impacted that much with visual appearance of phones since there are Lumias that can satisfy everybody taste.

5. MS could use more agressive advertising.

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Why everyone is thinking that Universal apps is what you need for sucess?! Belive me it is not! 95% of apps in WP store written using Silverlight. Microsoft is killing Silverlight and bringing RunTime. You just cannot convert Silverpoght apps to RunTime and witht using RinTime you cannot write Universal apps.

now cont how many developers will rewrite their apps from scratch to be Universal? Not many.

Microsoft digging its own grave last two years.

Now about UI.
I left WP first because I need apps that not exist on WP and second because I tired of scrolling! When I use iphone I know where is Facebook (for example) is located and it is always there!!!
what about WP start screen? You just know that some tiles for apps is somewhere down there. Same for the list of apps. I am tired of scrolling it. Tapping on char, then scroll, then tap. Is not helping.

Just see how good was accepyance of WIndows 8 Moder UI! Everyone hated it. Dont you think WP get same fate?

MS MUST give ability to change shell or give ability to develop new one!

MysticForce

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Why everyone is thinking that Universal apps is what you need for sucess?! Belive me it is not! 95% of apps in WP store written using Silverlight. Microsoft is killing Silverlight and bringing RunTime. You just cannot convert Silverpoght apps to RunTime and witht using RinTime you cannot write Universal apps.

now cont how many developers will rewrite their apps from scratch to be Universal? Not many.

Microsoft digging its own grave last two years.

Now about UI.
I left WP first because I need apps that not exist on WP and second because I tired of scrolling! When I use iphone I know where is Facebook (for example) is located and it is always there!!!
what about WP start screen? You just know that some tiles for apps is somewhere down there. Same for the list of apps. I am tired of scrolling it. Tapping on char, then scroll, then tap. Is not helping.

Just see how good was accepyance of WIndows 8 Moder UI! Everyone hated it. Dont you think WP get same fate?

MS MUST give ability to change shell or give ability to develop new one!

I agree with this, people hate this UI. It would be great to have a option.

jwaffe

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Now what were have MS-DOS mobile, I think more people will be ready to make the switch to WP.

I know that was probably a joke, but I couldn't help but comment,

If somebody released a WP with a x86 processor (not ARM) that ran everything my Windows computer does (no "app store", no walled garden), including a 32 bit emulator for older programs and a half decent processor, I would be very interested in that. It would bring the one reason why I still use Windows (legacy programs, windows only programs) to phones, and actually integrate the desktop and the phone in the other direction.

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I really wish people would stop talking about the future of Windows Phone as if it has saved the platform. I'm really excited for the future and I hope it does save the platform, but most people don't know anything about the future with Windows 10. They don't go on sites and forums like these. They see what is currently out. iPhone 6/6+, Note 4, and they know the Galaxy S6 is coming. They buy these phones on contract because most people do not know about buying a phone outright, nor do they want to spend $300+. So now there goes another customer for 2 years. There is essentially no flagship. In the US you have to be on Verizon to get the icon or the absolutely gigantic 1520 on AT&T. The 1520 is too large for what many people want so it's out and there's nothing else comparable. Verizon users can't have the 1520 they might want. A friend on T-Mobile wanted to switch back to Windows Phone now that his two years are up. His option is the 635? Get a crappier processor, no front facing camera, a worse screen, etc, etc? He's not going to downgrade to a Windows Phone. Another friend on T-Mobile has a 925. He has no upgrade path. His wife has an 8x. She likes to use snapchat and instagram. Well she might not understand what 6tag is, and there's no snapchat so her upgrade will be back to Android. Developing multi-platform apps may not be a lot more work, but to be able to develop something that is pretty similar between iOS and Android then have to make a bunch of new assets and designs to layout to fit the Windows Phone ecosystem is something that may turn a developer away especially when the userbase is undetermined.

I've mentioned in other threads that I've experienced the ridicule of owning a Windows Phone. I really like the 1520, but again it's gigantic and really my only option as far as a flagship currently goes. Microsoft needs to start with a flagship that improves upon the 1020s camera. That's the one thing people do favorably talk about when it comes with WP. Then they need to take that flagship and make sure it can come out for all carriers, so everyone can get it. That alone would be a good start in getting more users. People willing to try the platform are more likely to if they are getting awesome cameras and hardware and know that they're getting a phone that will be better than what they're currently using.

Great points here. I've seen a few people with 1020's and it's surreal. I personally think the screen is too damn small and the camera alone doesn't make me want to use a small screen.

For me, my main experience is browsing and using the phone. So 95% of my time is looking at the screen. This was my main purchasing decision for my 830 because it's not ginormous and not smallish like my previous 920. Keep in mind, I had to settle on the 830 because again, the 1520 was too big.

Back on topic. The main reasons are carriers...exclusivity sucks, lack of features/app parity and products.

Nokia made a terrible decision to make the 1520 exclusive on ATT and the 930 on only Verizon. This was a recipe for disaster, and they already had the lack of apps and features being behind the competition.

With the momentum of 10 and everything on the software side gaining praise, they need to come with it on the hardware front and push Continuum on a flagship phone that's available on every carrier and worldwide. These features, with truly unique hardware that includes varying sizes on major carriers, along with LTE supported tablets running Windows 10 Mobile, will be key to gaining market share that is getting gobbled up by cheap, on contract Android tabs available from carriers nowadays.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Nokia made a terrible decision to make the 1520 exclusive on ATT and the 930 on only Verizon. This was a recipe for disaster, and they already had the lack of apps and features being behind the competition.

Why do you think Nokia decided to offer them as exclusives?

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Why do you think Nokia decided to offer them as exclusives?

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

Marketing money and maybe carrier choice. Whether that money was well spent or not, or if this was a good decision is clear.

From my point of view, the little bit of coverage or promotion from each carrier did nothing to get more phones into people's hands. Lack of offerings from all 4 major carriers was enough for people to just go with something else.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
There are a number of reasons that are holding it back.
But I think Win10 is going to change some of that.

Those complaining about scrolling and the start screen just have no clue on how to actually use it.
Sorry, but I will take the Windows Live Tiles and start screen over the outdated and sloppy Andriod/iPhone start screen that has no function whatsoever except to open apps, of which you will have to open numerous apps just to see any kind of recent info.
Learn how to organize the Tiles and you won't have to scroll so much.

That in of itself is the biggest issue. The whole concept is lost on the iDroid cult.

then you have the petty dev's that just want to be petty about Windows Phone. that's fine
There are those that pick up their slack and we really don't need them. It's too bad some of them can't handle the fact that there is a call for their apps on Windows Phone and when someone creates one that is actually better than what they themselves could produce, rather than hire that person, they sue them. Personally, those Dev's and Companies can go screw themselves. I don't use their crappy apps anyway.

MS not really pushing too hard from the start, and their crappy commercials didn't help at all.

Carriers being petty and pathetic in their own swill doesn't help either.

My Icon is still better than every hone on the market today. I still have people who see the pictures I take be amazed.
I show them the speed of the phone and the look and they can't get past the whole tile concept. it's completely lost on them.

But, there are many, whom after using a Windows Phone for a period of time that have no bias, actually love the Windows Phone.

we will see what the future holds.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
What is holding back Windows phone adoption

Microsoft is the biggest roadblock.

Seems to me (guessing here) a miniscule portion of the company is aimed at promoting Microsoft Mobile.
I am starting to think Windows phone is just the "hobby" division.
It's where people that Microsoft doesn't know what to do with end up.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
you know, it still amazes the hell out of me, that there are so many that would rather waste their money on Andriod/iPads that are so infinitely limited in what they can actually do with them, rather than by a real tablet (Surface Pro) that is practically limitless in what it can do.
Move every major app from iStore and Droid Store to Windows Store and trust me, people might see the light and Apple/Droids would take a serious dive right into the pavement.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)