What is the probability that Windows 10 Mobile build 10549 will brick my phone?

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi. I had been reluctant to install the Mobile preview builds on my Lumia 830 owing to my fear of getting my phone bricked permanently. But since more and more builds are being released, they are getting a lot more better. Their reviews are also good.

Now I want to join the Insider program for Mobile. I am already one for PC builds. So, my question is "Is it finally safe to install the latest mobile build 10549?" And I know I should be cautious while installing it on my primary phone. I have read all the instructions and warnings from Microsoft on the Insider website. But I also want your (those who are already using the preview build on their primary phone) advice.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
The most common cause of brick are when the process is corrupted.

In order to prevent this always do hard reset before upgrading and don't restore any backup. So you going to start fresh.

And do hard reset again so you got fresh build Win10 phone

Always have stable connection for download and plug your phone to power cord

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Short answer:

You need to be able to accept that the worst may happen and issues will most certainly occur--either major or minor and in between. If you can't deal with that, wait. :)

I only have one phone (830), but I don't rely on it. If you do rely on yours, you may want to reconsider. The OS isn't ready for daily use yet. Getting there, but not yet...my opinion, of course.

Good luck.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I've sat on the sidelines since joining the program, but took the plunge last night....so far so good and this is my daily driver.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Thank you all.

And btw, can Windows 10 restore common settings from cloud backup? Like my Start layout, etc.?

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Short answer:

You need to be able to accept that the worst may happen and issues will most certainly occur--either major or minor and in between. If you can't deal with that, wait. :)

I only have one phone (830), but I don't rely on it. If you do rely on yours, you may want to reconsider. The OS isn't ready for daily use yet. Getting there, but not yet...my opinion, of course.

Good luck.

Yes, I know about the possible consequences. Hence, I thought of asking y'all.

I do rely on my 830 and that's why I want to upgrade it ;)

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
This is really 50/50. Personally I didn't get my phone bricked but I heard others who had to resort to the Windows Device Recovery tool to get their phone up and running again.

Just know that this is a technical preview and accept that you may encounter bugs.

Also, if you're a gamer and do not want to lose any progress then don't update until the final version.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
This is really 50/50. Personally I didn't get my phone bricked but I heard others who had to resort to the Windows Device Recovery tool to get their phone up and running again.

Also, if you're a gamer and do not want to lose any progress then don't update until the final version.

I shall have no problem if my phone gets bricked temporarily. By getting bricked I meant a permanently bricked phone. I may use the recovery tool to restore my phone if in case it gets bricked temporarily.

No, I am not a gamer 😊. In fact my phone does not have even a single game installed.

So, am I prepared? Btw, I have already downloaded the latest preview build 10549. Just waiting to hit the Install button. But not hurriedly.

tushardhingra

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I shall have no problem if my phone gets bricked temporarily. By getting bricked I meant a permanently bricked phone. I may use the recovery tool to restore my phone if in case it gets bricked temporarily.

No, I am not a gamer 😊. In fact my phone does not have even a single game installed.

So, am I prepared? Btw, I have already downloaded the latest preview build 10549. Just waiting to hit the Install button. But not hurriedly.

Just go with it...btw there is only one way to stop it from installation and that is a hard reset. Just install it there are negligible chances that you will brick your phone. Just keep it charged and do not interrupt in between the process (Although I did interrupted but nothing happened to the phone).

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Thank you all.

And btw, can Windows 10 restore common settings from cloud backup? Like my Start layout, etc.?

When I first flashed, my 8.1 layout came back but was really small. I soft reset, and my start screen wouldn't come on...just kept loading so I hard reset...only bug for me is that now my Hotmail account won't load up to give back all of my settings, but I might have screwed that up myself.

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
First thing first while you're still in 8.1, reset your phone with WDRT on your own PC, to make sure that WDRT has successfully downloaded the firmware and able to reflash your phone. If the reset goes well, it's good, if it doesn't, then at least you're still on WP8.1 which is fully functional. It'll save you from probable problem like your PC not able to reset your phone while you stuck in non functional W10M, and you still need WDRT to download the firmware anyway.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I have finally installed it. And..... I had to hard reset it and start afresh. It took a lot of time to configure the OS. But it's up and working perfectly. However, it still has many bugs and areas of improvement. It still feels very incomplete and it hangs many times. Let's hope the new 950, 950 XL and 550 don't come with this buggy OS.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I have finally installed it. And..... I had to hard reset it and start afresh. It took a lot of time to configure the OS. But it's up and working perfectly. However, it still has many bugs and areas of improvement. It still feels very incomplete and it hangs many times. Let's hope the new 950, 950 XL and 550 don't come with this buggy OS.

It's quite usable on a 640 except for the Edge browser which is the most buggy part of Windows 10, mobile and desktop.

I've been holding off putting it on a main phone but have it on 2 test phones. I'm tempted by the current build. Very tempted. I'm probably going to wait until the next build though. Windows Mobile 10 is definitely really coming together though. I think people will enjoy it as an upgrade when finished.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I was happy with 10549.4, but kept getting the "loading error" on the start screen...3 hard resets and it kept happening but I left it alone and it's working great so far....

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Eh... I reverted back in 2 days, couldn't stand the heatup, incorrect lock screen notifications and short battery life. For now I have decided to keep it only on my standby 925 and not on my 830.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
This isn't a complaint.....just positive feedback...but it feels like WP7 before NoDo....

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Eh... I reverted back in 2 days, couldn't stand the heatup, incorrect lock screen notifications and short battery life. For now I have decided to keep it only on my standby 925 and not on my 830.

Yeah. My phone heats a little while not charging and becomes a hot potato while charging. The lockscreen quick notifications get reset in the Settings app. I have to select them every time I switch-on my phone.

My screen again and again blinks at an interval of about 15-30 seconds.

The inconsistencies in Settings app are too annoying. In fact, the options in Extras still seem to be heired from WP8.1.

Last edited:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Heat up while charging or while performing tasks? Because, I didn't experience any heating of my 830 since I installed build 10549 except while charging.

Performing tasks. It doesn't start up rightaway but it certainly gets there. A soft reset usually fixes it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)