What problems do you hope WP8 fixes in WP7?

anodynamic

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
There are so few worries I have left that rumors haven't addressed. But a couple remain:

-Arrows on the keyboard so I can put that curser where I want without fighting the "tap" command.

-A functional laser beam.

I am willing to compromise on the third option. A ninja-star shooter will be fine.

The first one I really miss from my previous S60 phone. For the last one, I learned about caseless ammo recently. They should make it in 3.5mm caliber so that it can be fired from the headset jack.

Edit, more ideas: For the cursor, I just got an idea that it could be made easier with a single key that switches the cursor behavior from "select" to "edit", so if I would write two wordswithout a space I switch to "edit" and can put the cursor in the middle of wordswithout without selecting the whole thing. As a bonus, there could be arrows that are hidden when not using edit mode.

Last edited:

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Any MP3 can be used as a ringtone today. You just need to clip it. No reason for a ringtone to be 12MB and 7minutes long.

I know what he meant... it would be nice to be on the phone and just tap and hold a song and choose use as ringtone. If the OS wants to enforce size limits, it could then open a "clipping" tool (cool if it was like pic crop, where you just reposition the clip in a frame to choose... maybe I should patent this idea).

Enable text reflow in both IE and in any and all PDF reading functionality they add - lack of reflow is a huge weakness which makes WP7 useless in some key scenarios.

Text reflow would be really nice and useful. Not sure I'd call it a huge weakness, but for IE it would be a very nice benefit.

I want WiFi not to shut off whenever the screen goes off, I don't want a 3rd party app to do that.

Agreed.

- Alert tone customization (so I can use something that will wake when I'm on call)
- VPN support
- Encrypted mail support
- Delete multiple SMS messages with checks like in e-mail (for alert storms)

Personally I would also like them to open up Bluetooth access for developers so we can get programs that interface with Bluetooth devices (OBDII readers for example).

Alert tones and Bluetooth are already confirmed in WP8. I totally agree on deleting multiple SMS threads.

As an IT guy, I can say the focus should be on moving away from VPN to cloud-based options like SharePoint. VPN has always been an IT weakness, and frankly it needs to die.

-Arrows on the keyboard so I can put that curser where I want without fighting the "tap" command.

-Quicker access to dialing options.

-A functional laser beam.

I am willing to compromise on the third option. A ninja-star shooter will be fine.

My God, man! You took the thoughts straight from my mind!!!

I freaking HATE the Tap-to-Position feature. So difficult to be precise, so I usually just erase and retype!

And if you don't want freaking laser beams or ninja stars shooting out of your phone, you're probably some whiny hippy pacifist!

Some of the things I would like to see:

MUCH improved status bar / notification center

Being able to attach other files then just images in emails

HDMI out

Being able to have more then just one cell phone nr per contact

More advanced Office features, at least at the level of Office suites to Android/iOS

Being able to multi select files, rename photos and read EXIF info

Charging while off would also be nice.

In order:

-- Agreed.
-- Agreed.
-- Meh. I'd rather do wireless video push to Xbox.
-- Not gonna happen... they'd have to add it to every email service they support-- Hotmail/Outlook.com, Exchange/Outlook, Gmail, Yahoo, etc. Oh, but you CAN create a multiple contacts and link them, and everything should show up.
-- I'm sure that's coming with Office 2013, but could you be specific?
-- Can you give a scenario where this would be useful?
-- I've never had my phone turned off... it doesn't charge? That seems odd...

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
All the little annoyances. I hate when I try to do something and there's no wait to do it and I have to look online and the answer is Wait for Apollo =/.

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Text reflow would be really nice and useful. Not sure I'd call it a huge weakness, but for IE it would be a very nice benefit.

For the work based scenarios I run into reflow is absolutely essential. It is also essential in personal areas too, as otherwise reading text off the web (or PDF files for that matter) is painful as you have to scroll both vertically and horizontally. Meanwhile I don't have to do that in Android or Blackberry or even iOS if I use Opera instead of Safari.

Seeing how easy it is to code up and how big a capability it is to add MS should be doing it.

TrophyNostalgia

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Texting in other Languages.

Maybe this is just with the Verizon HTC Trophy, but although the Windows Phone OS, supports multiple languages any texts sent from the HTC Trophy in any language other than a Latin based turn up as underscores or question marks on the recipients end. This primarily limits the user to texting in only English. It's annoying, extremely minor quirk, but there is no reason why this can't be fixed regardless if it is the fault of the Windows Phone OS or CDMA technology of the Verizon network.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Maybe this is just with the Verizon HTC Trophy, but although the Windows Phone OS, supports multiple languages any texts sent from the HTC Trophy in any language other than a Latin based turn up as underscores or question marks on the recipients end. This primarily limits the user to texting in only English. It's annoying, extremely minor quirk, but there is no reason why this can't be fixed regardless if it is the fault of the Windows Phone OS or CDMA technology of the Verizon network.

I wonder if it's not the other phones that aren't multilanguage capable. What phone are your recipients using? And what language are you sending?

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes... that's precisely what I hate. I find it horribly inefficient and unsteady. Every time I'm trying to be precise, it jumps on me, and I find it easier to backspace and start over. Give me freaking arrow keys! :)

Heh :) Yes, the implementation sucks compared to iOS and Android, but that's not a reason to abandon a superior solution. Microsoft just needs to do a proper job at it.

HerronScott

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
As an IT guy, I can say the focus should be on moving away from VPN to cloud-based options like SharePoint. VPN has always been an IT weakness, and frankly it needs to die.

At the moment I'm looking for VPN access in order to RDP to my servers and access my monitoring applications (Solarwinds, Nagios), but Citrix support could eliminate those requirements.

I freaking HATE the Tap-to-Position feature. So difficult to be precise, so I usually just erase and retype!

One of the benefits of a physical keyboard, real arrow keys! :)

Scott

TrophyNostalgia

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Language Barrier...

I wonder if it's not the other phones that aren't multilanguage capable. What phone are your recipients using? And what language are you sending?

I know it's not the other phones, I've tried to about five different phones (iOS, Android, and non-smartphone) and it fails to properly send to websites (through SMS). Particularly I've been wanting Russian, but I've seen others on these forums and Microsoft Answers indicate that it includes Chinese, Japanese languages as well (and more...)

erwt

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Better support worldwide. As in, providing all the features (podcast marketplace, bing audio etc.) in all or atleast most regions.

Some improvements for Facebook messaging, like better syncing with Facebook and ability to send to offline recipients.

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
-- Meh. I'd rather do wireless video push to Xbox.
-- Not gonna happen... they'd have to add it to every email service they support-- Hotmail/Outlook.com, Exchange/Outlook, Gmail, Yahoo, etc. Oh, but you CAN create a multiple contacts and link them, and everything should show up.
-- I'm sure that's coming with Office 2013, but could you be specific?
-- Can you give a scenario where this would be useful?
-- I've never had my phone turned off... it doesn't charge? That seems odd...

DLNA or something equal is nice, but the one big benefit of HDMI is that you dont have to carry your Xbox with you. ;) With my old Nokia N8 it was so easy to just plug it in to my friends TV, and I actually used it at work a few times connected to a projector. And there are other content then videos and photos that are not supported by DLNA/push.

Well, to clarify, it is not important to have multiple cell phone numbers per contact, the thing is that Windows Phone needs to be able to send SMS to other type of numbers, like "Work" etc.

Some things I miss in WP Office: Copy/Paste multiple cells/rows/column (works in WM6.5 and Android). .csv support. Option to insert images in documents. Editing functions is very limited compared to WM6.5 (and Office apps for Android and iOS).

Being able to multi select files, rename photos and read EXIF info. For the same reasons you do it on your PC. :)

If you charge while off, the phone turns on by it self (at least my Titan). Not a big deal at all, but it has been irritating a few times. Should not be a big deal to fix either.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Fix notifications. It can take ages for notifications for Twitter and Facebook to show up. For the 3rd party apps and in the Me tile.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I know it's not the other phones, I've tried to about five different phones (iOS, Android, and non-smartphone) and it fails to properly send to websites (through SMS). Particularly I've been wanting Russian, but I've seen others on these forums and Microsoft Answers indicate that it includes Chinese, Japanese languages as well (and more...)

Hmm, never had any problems with that and I text in other languages (Spanish) all the time. Except for when I was texting this one girl with an LG chocolate phone, my texts with the ????? wouldn't show up at all on her phone so maybe its a WI-Verizon issue because she lives in WI and is also on Verizon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett