What so special about the Lumia 920?

Jmaxim

Banned
Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Are there any benefits from having a Windows 8 phone, Windows 8 tablet and PC? Also, besides CityLens and the PureView camera what are some of the other features that make this phone a must have? In other words, what sets it apart from the iPhone and say the Samsung Galaxy? My contract is up and I really want to get this phone but don't want to be bored after a day.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Are there any benefits from having a Windows 8 phone, Windows 8 tablet and PC? Also, besides CityLens and the PureView camera what are some of the other features that make this phone a must have? In other words, what sets it apart from the iPhone and say the Samsung Galaxy? My contract is up and I really want to get this phone but don't want to be bored after a day.

- Vastly better camera
- NFC
- Wireless Charging
- higher-res screen

that's about it. I would wholeheartedly recommend the Lumia to iOS users. iOS and WP8 are very similar in terms of features and (limited) customizability. As an Android user, I'd say you're going to have a hard time adapting to the general lack of features on WP8. I switched from a Galaxy Nexus and I almost sold the Lumia again as soon as I got it. I was experiencing massive culture-shock. After a week with it, however, I've gotten used to it and quite like the experience. The camera is absolutely excellent.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
The biggest benefits are going to be the identical UI. MS has done a superb job making the UI for Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, and even XBOX damn near identical. What's great about this is you can set up your information that matters to you to display the same way, at the same time, on every device. You hear a lot of "ecosystem" jargon being thrown around on Apple forums. I think we are going to see a lot more of that sort of discussion here too, especially with skydrive. The beauty of developing for any of the aforementioned OS's is that you develop for one, you develop for all. We are going to see a lot of cross compatible software popping up here. One such (simple) example is Microsoft's own One-note, which is a lot like Apple's reminders, if you are familiar with that. I can set notes, make shopping lists, and it seamlessly bounces between my phone, PC, and (soon to be made by the elves) surface. It's honestly everything I have enjoyed from Apple (and I am typing this on an iMac with an iPhone 4S to my left) but coming from Microsoft with a UI tailor built to match between devices.

As a bit of a side-note, my wife is a huge Apple fan (I'll be honest, I become one as well since the advent of the iPhone. She was a bit apprehensive of me getting a Windows phone 8 device, especially with how lackluster WP7 really was. Seeing me use Windows 8 and going back to WP8 really has her thinking about a windows phone (she has an iPhone now). I think it would be an easier sell if our iMac had touchscreen capabilities. Using the mouse for a lot of things in Windows 8 is a bit counter intuitive, or at least it feels that way. Being able to use your finger right on the screen makes a world of difference.

TMavC5

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
You like social network? One stop shop. Go Windows Phone (United States) and experience what Windows phone are all about.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
The biggest benefits are going to be the identical UI.

"nearly identical" might be a bit exaggerated here :) They look SIMILAR. Apple does the same thing. I actually find it quite frustrating that MS didn't implement the charms, the app-switching gestures etc. for WP8. After working with the Surface, I constantly find myself swiping in from the right side of the screen, only to see nothing happen on WP8.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps u might want to consider security too. WP8 has the best security out there...better than any phone or OS.

Other than that, the "fun" element remains, more or less the same with every device, irrespective of the OS. But with WP8, U have a uber cool Music player, XBOX integration with ur XBOX account, books to read and an awesome camera of course...

Sent from my RaZr HD.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Are there any benefits from having a Windows 8 phone, Windows 8 tablet and PC?

Not really. They have a similar interface, but entirely different apps. There's also zero integration between the two devices other than the fact that they pull from the same sources.

The only real benefit of having both is that you can use Xbox Music on both of them, and to some, that's not even much of an advantage.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Not really. They have a similar interface, but entirely different apps. There's also zero integration between the two devices other than the fact that they pull from the same sources.

The only real benefit of having both is that you can use Xbox Music on both of them, and to some, that's not even much of an advantage.

I don't know that I agree with the zero integration statement. Certain apps sync over such as one note, office, and mail. As mentioned before, the way development for the platforms works we are bound to see more and more integration from third parties in the future too.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
"nearly identical" might be a bit exaggerated here :) They look SIMILAR. Apple does the same thing. I actually find it quite frustrating that MS didn't implement the charms, the app-switching gestures etc. for WP8. After working with the Surface, I constantly find myself swiping in from the right side of the screen, only to see nothing happen on WP8.

to each his own I guess, but I don't feel I exaggerated at all. Windows 8 is like windows phone 8 with a bunch more features, for good reason. Ios and osx have far fewer similarities than wp8 and windows 8.

tlegend2012

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Security comes first for me... Nice screen,Nice cam,and Business productivity... Iphone was not meant to be secure... it's same os for 7 yrs... basically a dead end in a way... wait and see Iphone 5s will be little wider... that will be it... Android is Nice if you like open source,but again everyone is different.. GSIII has a nice screen as well....
TO recap, Productivity and security come first when buying a phone... Lumia 920 has both of em.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I don't know that I agree with the zero integration statement. Certain apps sync over such as one note, office, and mail. As mentioned before, the way development for the platforms works we are bound to see more and more integration from third parties in the future too.

That's what I refer to in that they pull from the same sources. However, you can't, for example, see a phone number in an email on your tablet and tap on it to dial it to your phone, and you can't see your text messages on the tablet, and you can't buy an app once and have it on both devices. Games on WP8 don't (yet? supposedly it's coming to the Microsoft Minesweeper/Solitaire eventually) share data with games on Windows 8/RT, so you will have to beat Cut the Rope or Angry Birds Space on both devices.

They're very much two separate devices, and you get no additional benefit from having both of them.

brdl04

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Do not underestimate the benefit of using your phone with gloves on. It is a huge feature that if Apple had thought of would become a must have feature.

For those in cold environments it is an incredible convenience.

mark1914

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same dilemma. I picked up a 920 and I'm trying to really like it. I have a Galaxy Note 1. I'm not big into rooting or customizing that android folks do. My Note is plain Jane. I like the spen feature and my Instagram app. Other than that nothings uber special. I like the screen on my 920. I like the social interaction and that's about it. I'm actually thinking of selling my Note and getting a Surface tablet.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
That's what I refer to in that they pull from the same sources. However, you can't, for example, see a phone number in an email on your tablet and tap on it to dial it to your phone, and you can't see your text messages on the tablet, and you can't buy an app once and have it on both devices. Games on WP8 don't (yet? supposedly it's coming to the Microsoft Minesweeper/Solitaire eventually) share data with games on Windows 8/RT, so you will have to beat Cut the Rope or Angry Birds Space on both devices.

They're very much two separate devices, and you get no additional benefit from having both of them.

I see where you are coming from. My point was speaking of interfaces. I have my phone and my windows 8 login setup such that all of my information is presented in the same manner. This is already more than any other desktop and phone integration I have seen. Could we see more integration? Absolutely. Some of your examples I would actually find quite useful. To me, saying there is not reason to have both is a bit of an overstatement though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)