What would you call the new Surface 'Phone' Device?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Heh, at this point unless they can call it the 'Surface Appmountain' they'll be hearing a lot of echoes in response. Whatever the device is, I hope they've got someone writing a LOT of apps somewhere.

Who needs apps when you have millions of win32 applications, and a screen big enough to run them and a full browser on?

There is a reason why android and ios are slipping in tablets, and windows is growing. On that screen size, the simplicity becomes an obstacle, not a benefit.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
If anyone wants to look it up on youtube, search for "graphene flexible oled screen Samsung Microsoft" on youtube. I believe they demo'd the prototype in 2013.

You know annoying, now when you search it, you only get samsungs half of the announcement. lol. Before, the whole talk included Microsoft showing windows and a windows game running on a scrolling screen. Now its basically impossible to find.

The Microsoft speaker also showed how the screen was more or less indesctuctible, a basic property of graphene. Which is a silly thing to miss out. AND it was filed at a better angle.

But anyway despite the fact it cuts the second part of the talk (which may even be corporate work, perhaps they don't want this widely known any more, and the filming of the demo is all crowd people) -

Here's the proto-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLMWXBv5rY4

This is also where they came up with the curved screen (Samsung). Which is basically a useless gimmicky use of the tech while they are waiting for the real technology.

But as I say, manufacturing costs of graphene is the current obstacle to folding displays. A super material, than when cheaply made will revolutionize A LOT more than computing (nanomanufacture, water filtration, battery circuit tech, chemical manufacture, space vehicles and super materials etc etc).

In computing its pretty important for MS. Because it scales the pocket device up to the sort of size where windows 10 and apps seem better suited, and android/ios and apps less. A size where simple apps seem, well simple. It's also important because apple and google don't have the patent. Only Samsung and MS. And obviously, beyond voice, its the next step. It will probably pretty much kill apple.

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
If it were me I would define a new category with a new name or maybe brand name. Might be gimmicky, but how about the "Microsoft One" or "Surface One", one device for all technology needs.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Surface Mobile First Cloud First Committed to Mobile (Coming Soon™) 2027 Ultramobile 3-in-1 PC that can replace your PC :devil:

Jokes aside, it's still going to be a phone so I guess Surface Phone should still be there even if phones won't be phones as we know them today.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I would just keep it simple with Surface Phone. Their current branding seems to be trying to simplify things and now with the surface pro and surface laptop it just makes sense.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I am beginning to think it will define a new category of device, and so it will be more unique then "one/mobile/phone/pocket". Kinda how Cortana defined AI for Microsoft. I think they might trademark something new. I would if I were Microsoft. That would grab the attention of everyone to try it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb