What you think of Google Glass? Should MS be worried?

iBandar

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Soon enough Google will be selling Google Glass in retail store. And imagine Android phones and Google Glass integration. (I am pretty sure, in future this is going to happen)
Does anyone else see a HUGE threat to other mobile platform?

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Its a gimmick. Although don't get me wrong, there's no doubt its an awesome piece of tech, with so many applications but I cant see it flying off the shelves and I cant see the android masses walking round the streets wearing them. Give it a week after release before there's a report of a traffic incident where someone wearing google glass got run over.

JMBasquiat

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Worried about what? It's a gimmick, with limited appeal. Some people will buy them, wear them, and then forget about them. I have no intention of being "connected" to the point of having my glasses display my e-mail. People need - and should strive for - real, physical contact with one another. Google Glass is just a project for Google to retain its rapidly-vanishing "cool" factor.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
People need - and should strive for - real, physical contact with one another.

Speak for yourself - I much prefer online people to real ones :)

Wearable computing is the next big thing. Apple, Sony, Google, Samsung and several others are already announcing or leaking rumors. Nothing to be worried about, I'm sure MS will release something as well. Maybe not first, but eventually. I'd personally much rather see a MS smart watch that works with WP than glasses.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
It's announced at $1500 a piece. Most android users do not have flagship phones running latest OS. Do you think they will spend $1500 for the google glasses and another $600 for a phone with latest OS? I highly doubt that. No doubt it's a cool piece of tech but I how loud and clear do you have to speak for it? I think it's good to see those devices but in this case I believe it's best for a sit back and improve later if the tech proves successful.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Its a gimmick. Although don't get me wrong, there's no doubt its an awesome piece of tech, with so many applications but I cant see it flying off the shelves and I cant see the android masses walking round the streets wearing them. Give it a week after release before there's a report of a traffic incident where someone wearing google glass got run over.

Or ran over someone while wearing them.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
He speaks for a lot of people. I would refuse to talk with anyone wearing this thing.

I'd absolutely talk to someone wearing it - I'd want to know what they think of it. It's seriously going to be a long, long time before enough people are wandering around with HUDs in their field vision at all times that you'll have to worry about it. It won't look so dorky or obtrusive by then, either, and after the newness wears off, it'll be the same as having a cell phone that beeps when you get a notification, only it'll be easier to access the information.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
at 1500$ a pair, no. The problem with this technology, like a lot of google products is they try to release tech that is clearly underdeveloped and/or experimental. This is both. Sure its a cool idea, now would you replace your cellphone with it? Would you want to drive with them on? Would it replace your cell phone, i mean realistically, would you actually ditch your cellphone and not carry it around and use this instead? The answer to most of these questions is probably no. Maybe if they gave it like 5 to 10 years it could be viable option but as it stands, its too experimental. A better question to answer is would the average joe use it? How would it benefit them?

The last big revolution in cellphones was the all-touchscreen revolution started by the iphone. It convinced average people for a reasonable price that it was better for things like web browsing, apps, etc. I don't think this will convince the average person to adopt it is all i'm saying. Plus, I would rather bank on holographic technology, as distant as it is, to be more viable.

Dileu

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I have already made a decision to not speak to anyone wearing these things until they take them off. Creepy creepy tech.

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I wore glasses because I' near sited for the longest time and guess what the MF bothered my face...actually any accessories, rings, necklace etc bothers my skin except cloths...actually even then it still does.

I went and got contacts so it's a definitely no for me and it's a gimmick right now anyway. Who (the general consumer) will fork up 1500 pretax for a device you wear like glasses, that does minimal things.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Who (the general consumer) will fork up 1500 pretax for a device you wear like glasses, that does minimal things.

Same person who will fork over 1500 pre-tax dollars for a web browser with a nice screen (Chromebook Pixel). An early adopter type with some disposable income who wants to try out new tech before anyone else.

derDaniel

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Seriously, I cannot imagine that google glass will be a success. Not because of Google, but I just cannot see what is the benefit of such a product.

Why should I put stupid looking class on my nose, while I am in public. This won't get the ladies or make me look serious in businesses. Why should stupidly talk to my self in public to take a picture. Imagine you are in a public transportation and want to search something on Google. You say search "XY" and your glasses do not understand it. Then you ******ly talking to your self in that bus or train. WTF?

And I am a person who is really into technology and really interested in new technology, but to my mind this is not what we be the next trend.
People, and I mean the casual user, will not be willing to look total ******ed in public just to search something with your class. People take operations to their eyes just to get rid of them.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Same person who will fork over 1500 pre-tax dollars for a web browser with a nice screen (Chromebook Pixel). An early adopter type with some disposable income who wants to try out new tech before anyone else.

...which may well include me, actually. I just got invited to the Glass Explorers program :). Guess I'll be able to tell you all first hand whether or not MS should be afraid pretty soon here. First person to attack me for wearing it better have good insurance...

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
If Google Glasses become mainstream I will be surprised but then I'm the guy who said people wouldn't pay $1.50 for a bottle of tap water. Just like with other consumer electronics, if enough people are interested another companies will jump on board with their own products. Apple came out with iPad and now I can't even count the number of companies that make tablets.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I have already made a decision to not speak to anyone wearing these things until they take them off. Creepy creepy tech.

One day, and that day is not far away, this technology will be integrated into contact lenses. And further on, they will be implanted directly into the eyes. And it will be glorious.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb