What's the Surface Book 2's best feature?

Al Sacco

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
My Surface Book 2 still hasn't arrived yet, but I cannot wait to get it and put it through the paces. I've been trying to think about what's the best feature, and the thing is so impressive, it's hard to come up with just one thing. Without actually using it, I'm thinking the dGPU is definitely near the top of the list. I also love how versatile the form factor is. And I read in Daniel Rubino's review that battery life on the 15-inch model is very impressive too. I could seriously go on and on.

But in your opinion, what's the new Book's best feature? If you had to just name one ...

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
866 Wifi speeds are a nice improvement
The screen along with the enhanced colors is a treat
Quad core is a speedy beast!
512 HD is no slouch
Battery life is gargantuan - unheard of with this much power and a solid GPU for the plugged in gaming fury

wpcautobot

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Congrats on 'nearly' getting your SB2. I'm trying my best to justify buying it, but can't yet. Not because it's not awesome in nearly every way (really wish it had Thunderbolt 3), but because my other computer works fine and it's an AIO. I don't go mobile much, but when my AIO dies... Yeah I'll get the SB2.

To answer your question... I think it's really the sum of all the features that make this device stand out from all others. Looking at just one feature doesn't set it apart from its competitors as much, I think, as the uniqueness it has an an entire device.

Form factor, performance, and battery, if I had to name three.

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I got mine at the local MS Store on Monday 20 Nov. I just dropped by to see when they might have them in stock so I could come back to give them the once-over, and the answer was -- right then! That seemed like a wink and a nod from the universe, so I bought one on the spot instead of waiting to make that decision sometime after the first of the year.

There is a lot to like about this thing, but the high-end multicore i7 processor is without a doubt the aspect I enjoy most often. There is just no waiting on this device. Everything happens right now. I ordinarily suffer from MDIS (Major Delay Intolerance Syndrome), so this computer plays right to my needs.

Beyond that, I like the idea of the 1060 GPU but haven't really tested it yet. The slightly larger screen is a big help to my aging eyes. I understand the appeal of the battery life to others, but since I will mostly use this one plugged in somewhere, that's not as big a deal to me.

I continue to like in Book 2 the design features that I grew to love in Book 1. The detachable/reversible screen was a brilliant feature then and the choice not to remove it in the next generation is a brilliant design decision now. The armadillo hinge still makes me smile every time I look at it, so I thank MS for not doing away with it and thank them doubly for adding some smart minor mods that improve its strength and function without busting the per-unit production budget.

I could keep going, but why bother? The bigger Book 2 is my new second favorite computer of all time. The top device remains the Studio simply because of the top-notch display, which is enough to overcome my slight disappointment with the second-tier graphics processor and the hybrid -- that's a code word for "barely defensible" -- 2T drive. Everything else in the Surface family is SSD, and that should have happened for the Studio, too.

LIEBER

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I am considering upgrading from Surface Pro 4 to SB2 13.5"; working within STEM, I guess I'm a potential customer... Pro and contra:
+ Battery! (the main frustration with the SP4...)
+ 3:2 screen ratio (just as SP4)
+ 4 core i7 (missing that from the SP 2017)
+ full sized SD card reader
+ GPU (maybe... not much into graphics, but would like to test GPU for computations)
- size/weight!!! ... love size and weight of SP4
- lack of stability of screen (wobbling)
- somewhat clumsy switching to drawing mode
- lack of LTE
--
Puzzling thing:
* SP 2017 weighs 784 g without Type Cover, and gives 13 hours of video playback
* SB 2 screen/tablet weighs ... something similar? and gives only 5 hours of video playback

jonathanpark

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
Considering that SB2 is so unique in the market, it is still reasonable to buy it.
+ High performance -> 1060 6GB looks great for the 3D graphic designers, artists, and also gamers.
+ Thin & Beautiful Design -> Despite it is still high performance 2 in 1 device, it is so thinner than any other device with 1060 I've ever seen in the market.
+ Stylus -> "Who wants a stylus?"said Jobs, "We do." said MS.

- Portability - 1.9KG for a portable 2 in 1? No thanks.
- Price - 1999USD ~ 3299USD. Better than a macbook. But is it still worth it?<-(feat. Austin Evans)

I'm sure this is the 2nd revolution Microsoft has made(Surface Pro series was the 1st), but I'm not sure if it is still useful.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb