Where is the new 950 firmware for USA ATT 950's?

mkurfis

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
The last part of my DM exchange with @ATTCares:

Friday, 7:30am
Mike ☆ Kurfis @mkurfis
Ok, so when will AT&T approve a two-and-a-half month old firmware update? And when will we get the February update? Stability fixes are important. I have a colleague with a Lumia 950 that reboots itself about 5x/day. I'm lucky it only seems to happen at night and maybe once a week or so.

Friday, 7:35am
ATTCares @ATTCares
Unfortunately I don't have any info on when the next update will be available. ^ManuelE AT&T Social Media Manager.

Friday, 7:43am
Mike ☆ Kurfis @mkurfis
Can you find out from someone who does have that info? Surely there is some kind of plan or schedule for these kinds of things.

Friday, 8:42am
ATTCares @ATTCares
I am sorry, we do not have any contact with the team that does the firmware testing. I wish I had a way to get you the info you are asking for, just don't have a way to get it. ^ManuelE AT&T Social Media Manager.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I literally just want to scream at a human being that is in the in department that handles these firmware releases.

I do not care what support says at some point an actual human being is doing some testing or something that allows these firmware updates to go out. IT IS MARCH!!!! we are 3 firmware updates behind!!!!

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
unfortunately, we do not have the access to contact the powers that control firmware at AT&T. No matter who you call, they will either tell you the truth (we don't know) or lie to get you off the phone.

Phone support, social media, online chats, email support, official forums and BBB complaints are all useless.

The closest anyone ever got, to my knowledge, happened in the 830 forums. Someone filed for arbitration and was given a date.... and sure enough, it landed around that date (via WPRT for a few days) and then pushed a week or 2 later to everyone.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
This really is a repeat of the L830 FW process. The L950 holds such a small percentage of AT&T's business, they have no real incentive to make this a priority.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
This really is a repeat of the L830 FW process. The L950 holds such a small percentage of AT&T's business, they have no real incentive to make this a priority.

which is EXACTLY why i mentioned the 830.... AT&T isn't known to "rush" firmware out..... but seemingly still better than verizon.

MirthRock

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
AT&T Forums have a post going about this at: https://forums.att.com/t5/Windows-Phone/lumia-950-Firmware-update/td-p/4724139/page/3

The last poster on March 3rd suggests this:

This would make for an interesting Community / ATT Lumia 950 Owner Action Call. I've had to do this in a completely different industry with a completely separate product where the vendor was unresponsive on a rebranded/reflashed part.

If it were up to me, I'd have the ATT Lumia 950 community start calling ATT support daily with the following (only if you are experiencing said Bluetooth / GPS / WiFi / or Reboot Stability issues - these were called out by Microsoft as being addressed over the last three firmware releases which have not made it to any of the ATT branded Lumia 950 hardware).

The following:

Call ATT Support

YES, YOU WILL BE GLAD TO TAKE ANY AND ALL SURVEYS!
Be clear that you are having these issues.
Be clear that this has impacted your use of the phone and is a serious problem
Be clear that you have followed the troubleshooting steps to resolve the problem. Up to and including resetting the phone to factory defaults.
Be clear that this has not resolved the problem.
Be clear that you have checked for the most recent update. Be ready with your OS and Firware revision numbers (Settings -> System -> About). Mention you have compared it to Microsofts online OS and Firmware revision numbers and are aware of how out of date the Firmware is.
Ask ATT Support what they can do to fix the problem.
No, you do not want a refurbished phone. Your phone hardware and OS are fine, it's the firmware that is the issue and ATT is the only one who can issue the firmware. Why would you want a refurbished piece of hardware - especially if there is no guarantee that you wo't recieve a refurbished piece of hardware that suffers from the same unreleased firmware issue.
No, you do not want a credit; you want them to release the phone.
No, it is not up to Microsoft. Microsoft is in charge of the OS updates and releases the Firmware updates to OEM carriers like ATT to test and approve for their phone. Microsoft has been very clear that they have released the new firmware and ATT is three revisions behind now. This is an ATT problem.
No, the problem is not fixed.
Yes, if the problem is closed out due to support shrugging ("customer refused credit/hardware problem and customer refused refurb/alternate phone offered and customer declined/etc.) it off that you will call and open a new case. You also promise to give a very negative survey review because of this. Polite but firm negative. The problem was not answered, it's not because the support staff was a terrible person.
Yes, you will give a very negative survey review. This does impact the support staffer which is unfortunate but the only way to get attention to the issue. Reminder: your problem was with the support and not the support staffer-he/she was great but too limited to resolve such an issue that should have an easy fix.

Rinse and repeat at least a few times a week. The short term goal is to have this bubled up from support as a problem. Support is graded on call volumes, metrics, and has a triage tree of support issues. Enough volume and this becomes a negative score on the support side of the house and starts tanking the metrics. The issue get's big enough then eventually it will get escalated past the support wall that separates support from the actual product groups / technical arm. At some level this will get flagged as: "!@$%$%##! fix this already this is blowing up our support numbers!"

Why surverys? These result in a callback. Low survey results usually result in a callback from someone in a different branch of support who is empowered to get more things done. Same rules as above.

Ground Rules:

- Be polite and firm with ATT support staff. Don't be rude, use profanity, be abusive, or discourteous. The goal here is to politely but firmly get the problem documented, escalated, and become a serious and wide spread issue rippling through support.
- At the same time, do not accept evasions or disingenuity on what the problem is (firmware) or where the issues lies (ATT). Make sure to reference the Microsoft link later in the article to back your point up.
- If the issue is not resolved (e.g. new firmware released or an actual public statement (not support call saying "Uh, I think they are working on it, maybe, uh, yeah") call again. Rinse and repeat.
- Feel free to duplicate this post to as many different ATT threads relating to the 950 firmware issues or 950 Bluetooth/GPS/WiFi/Stability threads as possible.
- Persistance and Volume pay off.

References:

Windows 10 Mobile Firmware Updates ? 2016/02/25 - Microsoft Community

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...releases/141b4701-1070-4a7e-856e-84d77e635dda

I might give it a shot and see where I get.

curseoftheninja

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I was just on Twitter with @ATTcares and @Lumiahelp. They said they were looking into it.

I said that this is the one of the worst customer experiences I have had and that when my contract was up I would consider switching to @Verizon and @Android.

About a minute and a half after that tweet I received the "It's time to update!" message on my phone. Installing it now...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria