Where is the new 950 firmware for USA ATT 950's?

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Go into your network and wifi, turn off your att data and then turn it back on. Reboot your phone and then check for updates. Should be there after that.

Glenvis

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm unable to get these updates on my Lumia 950.
I'm stuck at OS 10.0.10586.107 and firmware 01078.00017.15454.29031.
I signed up for Insider Slow a month ago - no updates. Yesterday I updated to the Fast ring - no updates. I did a hard reset and restored my data - no updates. I then signed on again for the Insider Fast ring - no updates.
I'm out of ideas, can anyone help me?

Grimlock

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I've been having more random freezing issues since installing the latest firmware. My 950 was running quite well after last OS update, so I'm hoping a fresh install will get things running smoother.

Glenvis

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
THANK YOU! This did the trick. Now I'm downloading 38 updates of programs before I reinstall all my programs. Been a long journey, not going to sign up for Insider again...
Thanks again.

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
THANK YOU! This did the trick. Now I'm downloading 38 updates of programs before I reinstall all my programs. Been a long journey, not going to sign up for Insider again...
Thanks again.

It seems some of us got less than perfect system images out of the box, the recovery tool does a good job of repairing that.

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed this too. While I wasn't having many issues with my 950, there were a few. Since the install of the new firmware and the W10 Mobile update, the phone seems rock solid. Even battery life has improved. And with the recent updates to Groove Music, I'll have to explore a bit to find something to complain about.

jbowyer1

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
And with the recent updates to Groove Music, I'll have to explore a bit to find something to complain about.

They also fixed the Bing image search in Cortana in Redstone builds, which no longer crashes and now also allows zooming, too. If MS keeps this up, we're gonna run out of things to ***** about, lol.

Y2HBK

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So i used the recovery tool to revert my device back to stock. The install failed for whatever reason. Now everytime i try it fails and is stuck at the red recovery tool screen. Am i screwed?

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I had some initial trouble downloading the updates, but eventually they installed just fine.

I don't want to jinx it, but so far this OS and firmware update has been fantastic. Everything feels smoother and more responsive. The lag when I unlock the phone has been reduced significantly. Apps reopen more quickly and the OS seems more stable.

More importantly, Bluetooth functionality with my Band finally seems to be fixed. And it didn't even require me clearing Bluetooth profiles or reinstalling the Health app. Cortana and texting from the Band just works now, like it used to on my 920. It also seems like the Health app syncs more quickly now.

Like I said, I don't want to jinx it. I've been on this update less than a week, but so far it's encouraging.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
So i used the recovery tool to revert my device back to stock. The install failed for whatever reason. Now everytime i try it fails and is stuck at the red recovery tool screen. Am i screwed?

not in front of a pc right now, but in WDRT, there is an option for when the device isn't detected, select that before plugging in the 950 and try from there.

Also, try with the ORIGINAL USB cable that came with it and if possible, a different USB port on the PC. Not all 3rd party USB cables are the same, and some may cause an issue....

parkerbender

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
I just got a notification about the microsoftmdg update along with my .1001 update on fast ring... Is that news, or am I way behind? Regular 950 on att...

I can't get the damn thing to download, but it claims it wants to...

parkerbender

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Read back and figured it out myself, wow this thread changed in the last few days! Are there any tricks to getting a phone to download the updates? Tried turning off wifi, turn off data, restarted for everything I tried... I just want this thing to work! Haha

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I just got a notification about the microsoftmdg update along with my .1001 update on fast ring... Is that news, or am I way behind? Regular 950 on att...

I can't get the damn thing to download, but it claims it wants to...
How's .1001 with the FW? I got the newest FW but on 10586 slow ring, got off the fast ring for a bit.

parkerbender

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
I still don't know. It has been four days now and it still refuses to download. it also now will not charge without being shut off and then plugged into the charger to start, runs from 100% to dead in four hours without anything open and nothing on but cellular data, has been random restarting, a lot. I have no clue what to do. Anyway, if there is a way to download the firmware update, not through the app, please someone enlighten me?

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I still don't know. It has been four days now and it still refuses to download. it also now will not charge without being shut off and then plugged into the charger to start, runs from 100% to dead in four hours without anything open and nothing on but cellular data, has been random restarting, a lot. I have no clue what to do. Anyway, if there is a way to download the firmware update, not through the app, please someone enlighten me?

with the problems you are having, you may be better off doing a hard reset (or use WDRT) 1st.

bjd223

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Is the radio stack being used on thier network? There'syour answer. just because it's unlocked doesn't mean it's exempt from ATTs network regulations and update policy. If you agree to purchase their service, you agree to submit your device updates and firmware to their schedule of release.

The only difference is that you're not locked into only att for service.

I know this is a dead thread, but there is tons of miss information about branded vs. non branded phones here.

This is not how mobile updates have ever worked. Each device has an identifier called a variant. So for example a phone sold by ATT will have a different variant code then one sold by MS, even though they are the same model.

You can see this on your Lumia phone under Advanced Info. The US ATT Lumia 950 is the RM-1105_12716. Putting in a different SIM does not change this variant code. MS has published long lists of these codes where you can cross reference your region and the carrier you bought the phone from to find your variant code. When they publish updates they typically list the variant codes the update applies to, if it is not going to everyone.

You are delivered updates ONLY based on this code. You have to de-brand your phone, which people have been doing for years, to get updates at a different schedule. This is affectively changing that variant code to a more desirable one, like the WW (world-wide) one that typically gets updates first.

MS has said that they are delivering OS updates as they see fit, which is a nice change of pace. However firmware updates are still approved by the carrier, so they can and will be delayed some amount of time.

If you buy a Lumia 950 from ATT, unlock it for other SIM cards and use it on T-Mobile, you will still get OS updates as they roll to ATT customers, and still get firmware updates as ATT approves them.

Last edited:

bjd223

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes, but AT&T can block firmware as can any other carrier. This is because the radio stack is affected and can cause a flurry of support calls for the carrier. And that means they are wasting money and resources because of something MS pushed that they didn't approve. The only reason AT&T is testing this is because these 950 units will also be shipping out of the box with this firmware. And they want these new purchased units to work properly in all scenarios.

MS likely notifies carriers of firmware updates and carriers decide whether they even care to test it. In this case most carriers don't have enough users on these phones to even care. I had an unlocked 830 running on Rogers and I still had to wait to get proper Denim through rogers.

Windows OS updates can bypass carriers for the exact reason that they do not alter the radio stack, anything changing would not affect the connection to the carrier according to standards. A firmware update can even cause network outages if there are a lot of users with some firmware that is attacking their radio towers with some oddly formatted signaling messages. So again. In the future if these are more popular and require a firmware update, some carriers may need to intervene or at least MS would have to show proof of proper radio stack handling.

Updates are pushed out by variant code. The unlocked global version of the 950XL is sold in dozens of countries, and used on dozens of carriers. Do you think ATT can stop that update from rolling out?

Carriers can only block firmware on devices branded by them. They have no control if you buy an unlocked global variant like the 950XL.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124