which is better Lumia 950vs Hp Elite X3 vs Alcatel Idol 4s ?

monster5

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
its hard to find a real user that used all the three phones but you can compare them by characteristics and release date

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I agree with Monster5, however, if money is not an object, the Elite x3 beats the 950 on every front but the camera and tap to pay (Elite x3 has NFC, but for whatever reason, HP decided not to include tap to pay)

Park.Katt

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Never had a chance to try the HP, but my 950xl is working fine on w10m insider. You dont be disappointed.
I dont play, but use it a lot for excel, Outlook and onenote. Photos are great too.

Adamesko97

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I would say Lumia is the best when you consider that it has the best camera, great price and still sufficient specs. Some people may prefer the design of HP or Alcatel but with Lumia's price, you can invest into nice Mozo case or something similiar.

erfanjafar

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I have used both 950xl and elite x3 I prefer 950xl because of the camera. If taking pictures and videos is not on your list then x3 is better.

daren629

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I've used the Alcatel and the 950 XL. I prefer the 950 XL due to the camera, NFC, and think it runs smoother overall. Yeah, the Alcatel has a better processor but I found it lagged more and quite often would lose network settings and the phone speaker would sometimes not work. The Alcatel feels like a premium device, but I put a Mozo case on the 950 XL and it bumps the premium feel on par with the Alcatel.

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I will give some short opinions here. First off, I purchased an AT&T Lumia 950 at launch but returned it and purchased a 950XL since I felt it to be the better device. I sat on the Idol 4S but do have the BlackBerry DTEK60, based on the same reference design but running Android. My daily driver for now is the HP Elite x3.

Lumia 950/950 XL: Great camera for still and videos, removable battery if you are a power user or plan to keep the phone for ages, swappable backs if you want to change looks, the most 'supported' when it comes to features like Lumia Extras, NFC payments, etc. It does feel a bit cheap and creaky in the hand, but at least it offers the most case options if you do want to change up the look or protect the device.

HP Elite x3: Massive for a smartphone, I like having dual SIMs that still function (the chip on the 950/XL doesn't support 3G on SIM2, making it unusable for AT&T customers as the 2G GSM/GPRS/EDGE network has been shut down, I know this is the case in some but not all regions). The x3 has been my daily driver since March. It has held up pretty well and rarely been in a case. The chrome-look plastic is a little cheesy but has held up better than real metal, with a few minor scratches but nothing too crazy. The camera is not great, but having fingerprint and iris scanning available for Windows Hello is good, and the screen is beautiful. If your phones take a beating regularly, I would say this is probably our best bet. The Continuum dock is -- like on the 950XL -- a bit of a gimmick but I do find myself connecting via the Miracast "Connect" app on desk top to use some of the functions of the phone while on my PC.

Alcatel Idol 4S Windows: I can't speak to the future of support on the Windows 10 version of this phone, but the glass back and cold-to-the-touch metal do give the Idol 4S far and away the most premium feel of the current W10 flagships. I have the BlackBerry Android variant of the 4S and the camera does OK, but from what I hear it is much slower on the Windows 10 version. The 2K display is scaled back to full HD as well versus the BB version of this device and W10M competition, but still -- this phone looks great in person. If you want to feel like you have a premium piece of kit in your hand, this is the Windows device to get. And, depending where you live, it is great value for money -- especially here in the US.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
From what I can gather (I own a 950)

950/XL - best camera, has double tap to wake, and those nokia features, as well as tap to pay. Comes in a smaller form factor version (which I prefer)

X3 - Phablet. the most powerful in terms of ram and cpu

4s - power in between 950 and x3, not great camera and really great speakers.

Whats best will depend on what you want from a phone more. If you want a portable media device, maybe 4s. If you want a great camera, and the nokia features, 950/XL. If you want the most raw power and a big form factor, x3.

I've not used all of them, but that'd be my guess.

M S9

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
Lumia 950 ds is getting better with the preview builds but the battery sometimes get over heated and we are missing out on volte /wifi calling /hd calling feature soo you still have ups and downs with the phone but that is like that with all windows phones

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
There is no answer as to which is best because people have different needs and priorities.

I have a 950XL and a Idol 4S. Each is best in some ways. Example: Idol 4S sips power but charges slowly. 950XL guzzles power but charges like on steroids. Both may spend the same total time charging but which do you want more: long times between charges with plenty of reserves OR not being hampered by slow charging? Want to change up appearances but hate cases (like me), the 950XL has numerous replacement backs, including elegant leather and wood. Alcatel may look good but it will always look the same. Etc, etc, etc.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Right now you can get the 950/950 XL for great prices, but the Elite x3 is still a more powerful device. The Idol 4S has great pricing too for what you get I guess.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I own an alcatel Idol 4s . And while the phone is priced great, there are just too many bugs that need to be worked.

I would not recommend purchasing it. I'm not sure if it's a firmware update or a software update is needed.

One of the major bugs for me is that I cannot use WhatsApp web. Like seriously?

I'll be getting rid of it soon enough.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Idol 4s is the better phone price wise and speaker wise

Elite x3 is better battery wise

950 camera wise but has a older processor compared to the other 2.

Sent from Idol 4s

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte