Which maps I am using on my Lumia ?

raker

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I have downloaded offline maps in my Lumia. In HERE Maps and Maps app both show the same maps.

In here maps there is a watermark of here maps.
But in maps app there is no mention as such.

So I am using Bing maps or Here maps in my phone ?

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I have downloaded offline maps in my Lumia. In HERE Maps and Maps app both show the same maps.

In here maps there is a watermark of here maps.
But in maps app there is no mention as such.

So I am using Bing maps or Here maps in my phone ?

Maps is the default app for maps on your device if you downloaded offline maps, you can access it both through the default maps app or here maps! Both offer the same funcionality however here maps are more improved accuracy and has extra features such as life sight which scores over the default one ! So the app which you open is the one you are using as simple as that, the downloaded map is being accessed by both here and the default one.!

raker

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Maps is the default app for maps on your device if you downloaded offline maps, you can access it both through the default maps app or here maps! Both offer the same funcionality however here maps are more improved accuracy and has extra features such as life sight which scores over the default one ! So the app which you open is the one you are using as simple as that, the downloaded map is being accessed by both here and the default one.!

So which maps are those downloaded ? Bing maps or here maps ?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Aren't both different mapping services ?
One is of Microsoft and one is of Nokia ?

Microsoft didn't purchase here maps :/

Here is still owned by Nokia, MS started off with Bing maps but sometime with the release of 8 or 8.1 (can't remember but there was an announcement) MS decided to move completely to use maps as their default mapping technology. Here maps and the default Maps app are two different apps accessing the same maps.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Both look different on their respective websites :/

Its more about geolocation. Bing maps use Here mapping technology for traffic and geo location searches. The maps are provided by Bing but when you search for an address or for navigation, Here provides the routing using its data which includes realtime traffic and location updates. Its more of a hybrid model. Look it up online how Here works with GPS providers like Garmin with their geolocation mapping services.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss