Whoa! NOKia stock price...

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Okay seriously.... Is anyone watching Nokia (NOK) stock today?

Shoot, not just today, but the past 3 weeks? I'm kind of in astonishment... And it's only going to shoot up after whatever announcement is made tomorrow at their event. ^.^

-Sincerely,

Happy Stockholder. :cool:

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah but don't think it will go as high as 4.4 again - at least until q3 earnings call this year with sales figures for the new phones.

Tronberry

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
And after the Lumia 925 announcement... been around -5% so far. Usually you want your stock to go up after exciting announcements :-\

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Nokia stocks tumble today after unveiling Lumia 925 :(

Not too happy this morning... I'm sure all the other Nokia stock holders out there are clinching a bit this morning. I was pretty happy to see it close yesterday at $3.83 since I've been patiently waiting for it to bounce back above $4.00 again. Personally I went in this for long term and not for a short sell but I'm hoping this is still just a temporary reaction. But I feel a 5.60% (as I'm writing this) drop is a bit extreme over this announcement.

Nokia unveils metallic smartphone, stock tumbles - Yahoo! Singapore Finance

Either way I feel that Nokia must still have something up their sleeve and this can't but we were all waiting for. Is EOS still on the way this year or are we all just hoping for something big? I personally would love to see EOS as my next upgrade from the 920 and of course I'd like to see their share price gain traction again :wink:

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nokia stocks tumble today after unveiling Lumia 925 :(

Yea, it was making some really steady increases but just fell off the table today. I hate seeing that Red Arrow on my live tile, haha. People over react like mad to Nokia announcements.

The Lumia 920 was released in the fall. It was NOT time for a new headliner/complete spec rewrite. I think the 925 and 928 fit perfectly into place with what should be happening this time of year... The only issue is that people expect EVERYONE to follow the Apple release schedule (1 phone, once a year) and freak out when people don't. I like the 6 month roll out for the 92X line. It keeps them in the news for even longer than most. In 2 months time the Amber update will roll out (in the news again) and then 2 months after that the Nokia EOS will be revealed, in the news again, and then 1-2 months after that it will be released.

And all of that is just the Flagship. They will have a new econ device coming out nearly every month in between.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Ehmmm... this is standard procedure folks. Run up in stock price before an announcement with a sharp fall off on the day of the announcement. It's happened every time during the last two years.

A fall to 3.5 isn't extreme for the volatile stock that is NOK. It was down to $3 just days ago.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nokia stocks tumble today after unveiling Lumia 925 :(

Yea, it was making some really steady increases but just fell off the table today. I hate seeing that Red Arrow on my live tile, haha. People over react like mad to Nokia announcements.

The Lumia 920 was released in the fall. It was NOT time for a new headliner/complete spec rewrite. I think the 925 and 928 fit perfectly into place with what should be happening this time of year... The only issue is that people expect EVERYONE to follow the Apple release schedule (1 phone, once a year) and freak out when people don't. I like the 6 month roll out for the 92X line. It keeps them in the news for even longer than most. In 2 months time the Amber update will roll out (in the news again) and then 2 months after that the Nokia EOS will be revealed, in the news again, and then 1-2 months after that it will be released.

And all of that is just the Flagship. They will have a new econ device coming out nearly every month in between.

Though I will admit that I feel the 925 and 928 should have been annouced alongside the 920 last year to give Nokia full exposure. That's like Apple announcing the same iPhone 5 again on different carriers when people are hoping to hear about the iPhone 5S. It would have probably satisfied investors to at least drop a tidbit on their new upcoming flagship this year. Even if it's just a confirmation that it's coming.

Tronberry

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Ehmmm... this is standard procedure folks. Run up in stock price before an announcement with a sharp fall off on the day of the announcement. It's happened every time during the last two years.

A fall to 3.5 isn't extreme for the volatile stock that is NOK. It was down to $3 just days ago.

Nokia really needed to blow everyone away with big jumps in hardware. Everyone came off underwhelmed, and it is reflected in the stock.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Nokia really needed to blow everyone away with big jumps in hardware. Everyone came off underwhelmed, and it is reflected in the stock.

Nope. Like I said, this happens every time. Your mistake is that you think the fall off is a reaction to Nokia hardware, when it is in fact just professional brokers taking profits from those who banked on exaggerated expectations going in. The anomaly is not the fall off after the announcement, but the run up before it.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site

While I realise that is the grim truth at the same time can investors and the public expect every OEM to announce new hardware or flagships any time the hold events? Wouldn't we all be a little... greedy? And would the world be a happier place if Nokia DID annouce a new flagship every 3 months?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
While I realise that is the grim truth at the same time can investors and the public expect every OEM to announce new hardware or flagships any time the hold events? Wouldn't we all be a little... greedy? And would the world be a happier place if Nokia DID annouce a new flagship every 3 months?

Like I said, it would have happened one way or another.

Every NOK event raises hype in the weeks leading up to it. A lot of amateur investors jump on this hyped stock train, which slowly pushes share prices higher.

After reaching the hype peak (before the actual announcement), the finance industry always decides to take at least some profits (because hype always sells better than real information). The big players taking profits obviously nudges the price down rather abruptly, and a hundred thousand amateur investors panic and follow suite. By selling, they help to drive share prices lower still, while thinking this must mean hardware didn't live up to expectations. Rarely does the stock market work that way anymore.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Like I said, it would have happened one way or another.

Every NOK event raises hype in the weeks leading up to it. A lot of amateur investors jump on this hyped stock train, which slowly pushes share prices higher.

After reaching the hype peak (before the actual announcement), the finance industry always decides to take at least some profits (because hype always sells better than real information). The big players taking profits obviously nudges the price down rather abruptly, and a hundred thousand amateur investors panic and follow suite. By selling, they help to drive share prices lower still, while thinking this must mean hardware didn't live up to expectations. Rarely does the stock market work that way anymore.

Interesting.. And good info!

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Stocks of most major tech companies rise before an official announcement due to anticipation and people rushing out to buy it, then drops afterwards. IIRC Apple's shares usually dip after their last few announcements.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
So are we assuming once the dust settles it will stay where it is now? I was really convinced it was going to hit and stay at $5 by the end of last year.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
So are we assuming once the dust settles it will stay where it is now? I was really convinced it was going to hit and stay at $5 by the end of last year.

I could have told you your previous assumption is an almost impossible scenario. If share prices hit $5 for any meaningful amount of time, it won't stay there. It will go quite a bit higher. The hard part will be getting to $5.

The overall long term trend will be a slow but steady climb, proportional to Nokia and Lumia brand awareness in the U.S. and world wide Lumia sales numbers. None of that is dependent on the hardware configuration of a single device.

Overlayed on top of that slow and steady long term climb will be many wild short term fluctuations in both directions.

I don't expect to see $5 until the tech media for the average joe (like theverge etc) start to portray WP as a serious third option to Android and iOS. That will coincide with a general realization that WP can't just grow with the market, but also has the ability to directly take away market share from Apple and Samsung. Particularly that last bit is WP's greatest and most important challenge (and not guaranteed to be successful).

bbqrooster

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
a5cent is absolutely correct in his opinion about the run-up and selloff phenomenon driven by traders. The long term value of a stock is always driven by its financial performance, not by a "big announcement". If you are a true investor who really thinks Nokia has a bright future, you would make use of this to accumulate Nokia shares at low price points. Don't get influenced by the herd. You can also buy some trading shares but only after a big selloff like earlier this year.

Tronberry

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Nope. Like I said, this happens every time. Your mistake is that you think the fall off is a reaction to Nokia hardware, when it is in fact just professional brokers taking profits from those who banked on exaggerated expectations going in. The anomaly is not the fall off after the announcement, but the run up before it.

Are they selling the gains from hype before the market closes or during the night of an announcement when the market is closed?

Thanks for all the insight into this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonkalas