Who's got build 10581? How's it working for you?

Devan Hammack

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Upgraded from 10572.
Did NOT hard reset...
Seems to be very similar to 10572, except Hey Cortana works.. that was kinda a big thing for me.
Though, trying to set a reminder through Cortana while in my car crashed Cortana... so there are still bugs there.

Visual voicemail is working again... also a bonus.

Speed is good. Battery is about 62% after upgrading and using the phone moderately for the last 7 hrs. I'd say its doing pretty well

Great build so far... a few very minor hiccups, but its all good for me and my 1520.

Nemerkon

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
hey guys, I tried to upgrade lumia 930 , from 8.1 after a hard reset. But when having the gears and half way through, it restarted and showed me the lowbattery indication. I had battery more than 75% and it was connected to the charger. Second time after hard reset again, it was the same! any ideas? anyone with the same issue?
OK PROBLEM SOLVED! IT NEEDED TO HAVE 100% BATTERY FOR SOME REASON, AND AFTER THAT WORKED

Last edited:

Win10all

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
640xl dual sim from 536 to 581. storage sense does not work. unable to select where to save files. also experienced wifi issue, but fixed by removing the wifi, and reconnect/ re-input password.... also the store check update is very slow. but once it find the new update, the update process is pretty quick. did soft reset, but not fix the storage issue. have NOT done hard reset yet. anyone experience similar issues?

Thuruv

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Its missing Messaging app for me. . Hence tried Hard Reset and ended up with the bloody 'BITLOCKER' blue screen. Any Help. .?!

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Why always 'Downloading updates 0%'??????!!!!!!!!! Who can help me ?

Maybe reboot and try again and keep trying. Be patient. Everyone is downloading the update at the same time.

To everyone: Make sure you read the release notes. Fixes and bugs. I see lots of questions about stuff not working that is detailed in the changes lists.

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
For Mark Kaplan -

Just curious how you got glance functional... I have an 830 (unlocked version) with today's build up from 572 that had a hard reset performed. As per the usual with the previous insider builds on my 830, there is no glance option any longer in settings after the hard reset. So I am curious on how you managed to find the glance setting page.

If you have a backup from the onedrive, then the restoration after the reset would install most of the apps as well as system apps from the backup, as long as it compatible with w10m. I have 830, and at least that is how I go motion data and glance screen works.

amaru94xD

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
hey bro how is the image quality from the pictures? the same as windows 8.1? last time i upgraded my LUMIA ICON but the camera was not giving the right colors, white balance was not right etc, is it normal? i just need to know this before upgrading xD ty

Last edited:

goldcougar

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I updated from 8.1 to the new Win 10 build on my HTC M8. So far so good. Much smoother than last updates (been a few months since I last tried an update).

coffeemike

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue...thoughtI was in the fast ring but I did a hard reset after jumping to 10572 and I forgot to reinstall the Insider app. Doh!

Thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

Thanks - that did the trick. I *had* the app, and it said my phone was set up, but I had to re-confirm Fast Ring for this to show up. Odd. The joys of Preview!

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I'm running a Nokia Lumia 520 (I know, ancient hardware).
I had some issues with Build 10572. It was great but I found a major touch bug that seemed to be associated with the Windows Feedback app. It was reminiscent of the infamous Lumia 1520 phantom-touch but far worse. You could barely use the phone ("barely" is arguable.) Every tap was actually registered as two taps, even for the capacitive keys, and every swipe was registered as a tap and a swipe. Just letting the phone sit resulted in it opening and navigating through apps, even pressing the hardware capacitive keys to go to Task View and to the Start Screen. It was very strange. The first instance required me to roll back to Windows Phone 8.1 (as it wasn't possible for me to get to Settings>System>About to hard reset,) and jumping forward. The second instance was thankfully only temporary and didn't show again after a few minutes of frantic glitches. The moment I saw it was happening again I put the phone to sleep and let it sit and it seemed to sort itself out. Both instances only occurred after the Windows Feedback app was opened for the first time. It was a very strange bug and ruined Build 10572 for me (although I could tell how much of an improvement it was in other ways.)

Upgrading to Build 10581 was easy and joyful. I started the upgrade and it completed about an hour later with no reboots or errors (I have gotten errors in the past, but only when upgrading from one Insider Build to another.) Once it was done I decided to do a hard reset, even though I believed it probably wouldn't be necessary. I was trying to avoid any lingering affects from that crippling phantom-touch bug and to ensure that this Build was, in fact, the smoothest yet.
wp_ss_20151029_0001.png
The hard reset went flawlessly and I went about setting things up. Really this just means moving a couple Tiles around the Start Screen, changing the wallpaper and Lock Screen to the Windows 10 "Hero" wallpaper, and changing the accent color to grey (I've grown fond of it with the Windows 10 "Hero" wallpaper,) also slightly increasing Live Tile transparency. I don't feel like setting up the entire phone to my preferences when I'm likely to wipe it all anyways with the next build, and the default Start Screen is actually quite good (I'm happy they moved Settings to the folder in the lower left-hand corner and Excel to the little group of Office apps, like I kept doing myself. It just fits a little nicer.) I'm sure you can see the "improvements" I made which really meant removing Facebook and Skype from my Start Screen and resizing some Tiles to make sure everything fit.
wp_ss_20151029_0003.png
The first thing I noticed is just how fast everything was. In 10572 the biggest, most immediate indication of performance improvements was actually the speed of the context menus, which were nearly instantaneous. In 10585 they're marginally faster. Switching between apps is more stable (even with only 512MB of RAM), and apps crash way less often (although the Store still crashed once or twice while updating a bunch of apps.) I had a couple freezes and such, and I had two black screens going to the Start Screen, both from the Photos app and one resulting in a ...Loading... screen.
wp_ss_20151029_0006.png
Otherwise performance is exemplary and I'm very pleased. On my Lumia 520 at least it is actually a little more speedier than Windows Phone 8.1, if not as stable. Navigation is a little nippier but it still doesn't feel as polished as Windows Phone 8.1 did. For example, I had one instance of Tiles flickering on the Start Screen (still far better than earlier builds.)
wp_ss_20151029_0007.png
It's too early to tell with battery life but 10572 was actually an improvement (the battery is starting to fail as a whole so it's not that great anyways, I could get a good day out of 10572.) I didn't notice any changes although it's not been very long. It seems that Insider Hub has been removed, which is unfortunate (strange how they keep removing it.)
wp_ss_20151029_0004.png
When I went to Settings, the normally over-packed Extras was abnormally empty. I'll make a conjecture and say that either Microsoft is stripping away the no longer necessary Nokia guff or it has something to do with the Store updates.
wp_ss_20151029_0002.png
However, I carefully monitored my app updates and I only had one error, and that was for access point. After restarting the update it updated flawlessly and gave me no more trouble. I had 33 app updates right off the bat but I knocked that down to 21 after I got rid of all the pre-installed apps and uninstalled them. Many of these updates were nearly instant, and I suspect they were only to set those apps up to work on the new Build (like Calculator, which would open but wouldn't work until it updated in the Store.) When attempting to share the above screenshots through an email to myself (no way I'm waiting for my OneDrive to sync up then mess around with downloading all the pictures through the browser) I had a strange instance of the Outlook application setting up and beginning to start than freezing on the splash screen.
wp_ss_20151029_0005.png
However, on the second try it worked perfectly fine.

All in all this is definitely the best build I've had yet and I put it above Windows Phone 8.1 in performance in both battery life (making this assumption based off 10572 performance and battery life improvement claims) and general navigation, but below in stability and polish. There are still some UI and UX improvements I wish to see and it's still very rough around the edges but in many ways this is shaping up to be the best iteration of Windows Phone ever. Happy I got this installed as soon as possible, as it's given some new life to my Lumia 520. Someone who knows nothing of phones could never tell that this phone is using an outdated, extremely low-powered processor based on operating system performance alone, and that's exactly what we want. Already better than Android, clearly. I'm happy at the speed at which Microsoft has improved Windows 10 Mobile (two builds have both seen drastic improvements) and I hope they keep up the good work.
Have a lovely night everyone.

Last edited:

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Took me all day to update literally. Sat on 21% from 11 am all the way to 5pm. I finally gave up and hard reset my 10572 build and tried it again. It hung on 21% a good 30 plus mins but this time it finally finished. Upgraded over my LTE btw

Still reinstalling my apps and setting up.

Hisham mubarak

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
In my 640xl build 10572 was good and i updated right from it..
It's working fine and really smooth. I didn't done a hard reset idk it really needed, may be it will restore some of the problem i found in this build may be not. Any way can't risk hard resetting and losing my data now.

The glance screen working properly on this build i can change settings of it(it wasn't opening in 10572)

After closing an app the app list(left swipe from start screen) background unusually bright, swipe right to start screen and again swipe left to app list is fixing that.

It's so weird in storage sense can't find my phone option and name of sd card is wierd(dont know its only happening for me)

Can't close navigation bar in some apps live windows central but it works properly with all games..

These are the problem i am facing now, but I can live with that..

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Updated from the freshly installed 10572, went smoothly. I still have motion data and glance screen in the 'downloads and updates', and they keep failing. L1520 ATT model.

Otherwise things work well, I'm enjoying the return of "Hey Cortana". Now if only she would understand 'Play Alison Wonderland' (thanks Starbucks).

I tried "Play Alison Wonderland" (quietly shows data on how to see Alice in Wonderland, no matter how long I wait between Alison and Wonderland).
I tried "Play Run" (album title). Result: "Playing reign of terror" (gee, thanks).
I tried "Play Wonderland" response, out loud: "Here's how you can watch Wonderland".
Final try "Play music by the artist Alison Wonderland". Bing search results. Boo..

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Still a POC after updating I performed a reset which went without issue. However store has been downloading apps for and hour twenty, it is through 11 out of 27 and looks to have stalled. On launching Cortana "I need a speech pack" speech pack fails to download and I need to install the insider app!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yenofenny