Who's Planning to get a Surface Studio?

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I'd love one, too. Very impressive device. However, being only a casual artist, a casual Word user, and a casual musician, I'm not thinking that I'm their target buyer for the Studio. It would simply be a $3000.00 Netflix/email/web browser for me. Can't justify that no matter how I slice it. So, I'll have to pass....and no matter how hard Guytronic tries to talk me into getting one, i will resist. :D

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
However, being only a casual artist, a casual Word user, and a casual musician,

You fit the device perfectly, its a PC and a device for creatives, no need for 2 devices like a lot of people have.

If they made one with a handle to make it easy to move round the home then i might actually get one and start relearning to draw. If I had kids, id also have one in each of their rooms, imagine the possibilities and creativity unleashed with these.

EDIT: Im getting one when version 2 or refresh is out with Kaby and a better graphics card.

Last edited:

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
You fit the device perfectly, its a PC and a device for creatives, no need for 2 devices like a lot of people have.

If they made one with a handle to make it easy to move round the home then i might actually get one and start relearning to draw.
I see what you're saying, but I'm just a hobbyist. From what I saw, it looks like they are really going after professionals, first, then hobbyist with some cash to burn. Would I use it for those artistic purposes if I had it? Heck yeah! But, it would still be a hobby purchase, and I'd need a little more justification than that to spend the money they are asking. It's a fair price. Just out of my range. :)
I agree on the need for portability, but if you view it more like an architect's drawing table, it makes sense to keep it bound to the desktop.

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I ordered one along with the new ergonomic keyboard seven minutes after Satya Nadella said goodbye. The Dial turns out to be a freebie for the time being -- as it ought to be, given the prices these units are commanding. Actually, they should have thrown in the keyboard too, but I'm grateful for any kind of discount.

Going into Panos Panay's segment I didn't think the Studio would be a tool that appealed to me, though I expected to appreciate the engineering and imagination that went into its design. My current setup, which features a big monitor hanging off a Surface Book, is almost ideal for general purpose work, and the "creative" in me, if such even exists, just uses the Book by itself when I feel like drawing or composing. But I had completely failed to foresee the focus on creativity tools in the RS2 update, and when Panos got into part two of his presentation my jaw hit the table as I realized this device was WAY more capable than I had expected it to be. So I decided to defer every other item on the wish list for a year or more in order to grab one of these. Delivery in mid-December, they say. It'll be tough to wait.

Migi2015

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I ordered one along with the new ergonomic keyboard seven minutes after Satya Nadella said goodbye. The Dial turns out to be a freebie for the time being -- as it ought to be, given the prices these units are commanding. Actually, they should have thrown in the keyboard too, but I'm grateful for any kind of discount.

Going into Panos Panay's segment I didn't think the Studio would be a tool that appealed to me, though I expected to appreciate the engineering and imagination that went into its design. My current setup, which features a big monitor hanging off a Surface Book, is almost ideal for general purpose work, and the "creative" in me, if such even exists, just uses the Book by itself when I feel like drawing or composing. But I had completely failed to foresee the focus on creativity tools in the RS2 update, and when Panos got into part two of his presentation my jaw hit the table as I realized this device was WAY more capable than I had expected it to be. So I decided to defer every other item on the wish list for a year or more in order to grab one of these. Delivery in mid-December, they say. It'll be tough to wait.

Can you explain why you need this device vs say a Dell XPS 27 or some other cheaper setup?

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Can you explain why you need this device vs say a Dell XPS 27 or some other cheaper setup?

Basically it's personal experience. My Microsoft gear has held up better than the numerous Dells I have owned and repaired over the years, and on the few occasions when a MS device put its feet in the air the company replaced the item for me immediately. Cheaper stuff? I don't want to tar all value manufacturers with one shop's products, but in the past I bought a couple of eMachines when I needed to save money, and by the time I got upgraded memory, graphics and comm cards in them, I might as well have bought at the high end in the first place.

"Need" is probably the wrong word to characterize my view of the Studio. Too much is always enough, so this machine is likely to be way more than adequate for everything I want to do while providing excess capacity for the increased demand I may place on it as time goes by.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
As a digital artist, I soooo want one. I just know that I'd regret it 2 yrs from now when I would want to upgrade my PC.

This makes me sad.

olyar15

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
I want one. I'm just a computer hobbyist, so I have no way to justify buying one. That hasn't stopped me from looking at my bank account and thinking, "hmm, how many months of eating ramen would it take to buy this thing?"

And from someone who pre-ordered the first surface book, I am actually very happy that they didn't go with a Pascal GPU. MS definitely did the smart thing and go with mature technology. That should have given the software engineers enough time to polish the system and make sure it works right out of the box. Just look at threads like this: http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-surface-book/391012-hey-microsoft-fix-your-surface-book-before-dies.html

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
My wife recently started learning animation. In 8 days flat, she created her own 10 minute movie with 8 different scenes, voice overs etc. I think she might probably want to get one of these as she has been clamoring to get a larger screen device. Will go to the MSFT store near by to check it out in person. Might be with the 2016 tax return, he, he....

kittengirl

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I would surely like to get one for both Photoshop and digital embroidery design (which I'm just learning). My husband suggests I wait for them to upgrade the internals, but I tried one out at the store today and was quite impressed. I was only there very briefly though, so actually don't even know which version they have on the floor. I had to wait, and there were others behind me waiting so I just spent a few minutes with it. They had three of them on display. One was right up front and an employee was demoing that one, and then two off to the side that you could play with.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I would surely like to get one for both Photoshop and digital embroidery design (which I'm just learning). My husband suggests I wait for them to upgrade the internals, but I tried one out at the store today and was quite impressed. I was only there very briefly though, so actually don't even know which version they have on the floor. I had to wait, and there were others behind me waiting so I just spent a few minutes with it. They had three of them on display. One was right up front and an employee was demoing that one, and then two off to the side that you could play with.

I believe that most of the ones that were on display were the i5 model.

So if you really wanted to, you could get the i7 and have something that is already more than you currently need.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
As a digital artist, I soooo want one. I just know that I'd regret it 2 yrs from now when I would want to upgrade my PC.

This makes me sad.

Still, if this is the best tool you can use at the time, wouldn't it be worth the investment? Sell it when upgrade time comes?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not at all interested. I prefer tower form factor for desktop PCs. All in one that isn't upgradeable is useless to me.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'd love one, too. Very impressive device. However, being only a casual artist, a casual Word user, and a casual musician, I'm not thinking that I'm their target buyer for the Studio. It would simply be a $3000.00 Netflix/email/web browser for me. Can't justify that no matter how I slice it. So, I'll have to pass....and no matter how hard Guytronic tries to talk me into getting one, i will resist. :D

Or maybe having a Surface Studio would inspire and encourage you to delve deeper into your art and allow you to give the gift of your talents to the world.

Or you could just be selfish and hide all that talent.

So the decision is, do you want to be selfish and not get a Surface Studio, or do you want to do some good for mankind and get one?

:wink:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750