Why am I unable to move desktop icons after upgrade?

jtpcamp

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Can't move desktop icons after upgrade

I just upgraded my Win 7 X 64 laptop to Win 10 and have the same desktop as on 7. I find I am unable to reposition any of the icons on the desktop like I could on 7. Otherwise the are normal. as they work just like always. I can click them or delete them but not move them.

Does anyone know how to reposition the desktop icons on Win 10 Pro?

jtpcamp

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Re: Can't move desktop icons after upgrade

I fixed my issue with help from Microsoft. It was a program called "Fences" that was the problem and uninstalling it fixed the problem.

Ixolite

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Yup, the old version doesn't work well with Win8 and Win10 - updating to latest version 2.13 fixes this issue.

Ixolite

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

It isn't? Didn't realise that, I'm on paid version myself. That sucks.

G61

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site

How do you delete fences in windows 10 Never mind I found what I was looking for.

Last edited:

jtpcamp

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site

I tried to uninstall but it was not listed in ad remove programs so I did a repair install and then uninstalled and all was ok. I did install an updated version of Fences.

jtpcamp

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
You find it in the Program Files folder in the C drive. You will have to have the program installed first. If you do not know what it is or what it does you likely do not have it on your computer.

jtpcamp

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
You need to get the latest version of Fences. The sad thing is the latest version is now a paid program and the free version is the one that does not work in Win 10.

MikeS59

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Man, I just saw this post. I broke down a week ago and acquiesced to Microsoft's will. From Windows 7 on a 6-year-old HP Pavilion to Windows 10. Fortunately almost everything works. Until now, the only program I'd identified as having a problem was my XpertCMA software. Now Fences. Sigh. I've had (and loved) this program for probably seven years. To learn that this is screwing with Windows 10 stinks, mainly because you have to pay for it. Oh well...

GreenAsJade

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
You used a tool for 7 years, for free, and it's great, and you resent now paying for it??

I suppose you do what you do for free too eh?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb