Why delay the 7.8 update until WP8 ??

ninjazoete

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
As I heard from a few sources we have to wait for 7.8 update as long as for WP8 - what is the point? If it is only the start screen ( mainly ) can't they just make our experience better through the summer time ??

I am happy how they solved the problem. We get 7.8 which looks nice and Nokia is updating the apps as well but can't understand why it would take them so long to update the start screen.

What do you guys think?

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
As I heard from a few sources we have to wait for 7.8 update as long as for WP8 - what is the point? If it is only the start screen ( mainly ) can't they just make our experience better through the summer time ??

I am happy how they solved the problem. We get 7.8 which looks nice and Nokia is updating the apps as well but can't understand why it would take them so long to update the start screen.

What do you guys think?

I think that overtime it will be more than just the start screen. There will still be future updates for us past 7.8 from what I hear

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

Three non mutually exclusive possibilities:

1) Tactics: It isn't just the start screen. There's other improvements in there, and they want to keep Apple and Google from seeing these other features until it's too late for them to copy it in their fall releases.

2) Consistency: They're still futzing around with the UI a bit (this is definitely true with Win8) and want to make sure that the WP7.8 and WP8 UI's aren't *too* different.

3) Politics: By releasing 7.8 and 8.0 at the same time they're reinforcing the notion that 7.8 and 8.0 are peer releases that happen to be on separate tracks (the way Win 95 and Win NT 4.0 were), and not sequential upgrades of the same OS.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Well we are getting Tango this summer and will get the update by the time of Apollo as it yet unproven. I want the new screen now, It shall hold me off fine until Apollo devices.

greensea

May 29, 2012
Visit site
maybe there are other changes beside the homescreen. either way i do hope they''ll release it early. i want a taste of wp8 before i get the pureview

" 1) Tactics: It isn't just the start screen. There's other improvements in there, and they want to keep Apple and Google from seeing these other features until it's too late for them to copy it in their fall releases."

that's true that. ios even copy the boucing screen!?:blush:

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Three non mutually exclusive possibilities:

1) Tactics: It isn't just the start screen. There's other improvements in there, and they want to keep Apple and Google from seeing these other features until it's too late for them to copy it in their fall releases.

2) Consistency: They're still futzing around with the UI a bit (this is definitely true with Win8) and want to make sure that the WP7.8 and WP8 UI's aren't *too* different.

3) Politics: By releasing 7.8 and 8.0 at the same time they're reinforcing the notion that 7.8 and 8.0 are peer releases that happen to be on separate tracks (the way Win 95 and Win NT 4.0 were), and not sequential upgrades of the same OS.

Precisely. Well said. :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazt6h