Why did MS recovery tool flash vanilla WP8 to my Lumia 925?

Andrew Tan2

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Recently my Lumia 925 died on me. I sent it for warranty and they replaced the motherboard. I received my phone a few days after the latest technical preview was released, which included the 925, so I tested it out. I upgraded my freshly repaired phone from Cyan to Denim OTA, then installed the insider app and updated to WP10 technical preview.

After playing around a little, I decided to downgrade back to WP8.1 Denim which I was running earlier. However, BOTH the MS recovery tool and the Lumia Recovery tool can only get firmware version 3039.000.1318.10075. My OS is stuck at version 8.0.10322.71.

All OTA updates (which used to work) tells me is that I have the latest version installed. I've tried both recovery tools multiple times, and I've tried updating OTA multiple times.

I suspect this problem is because of the replaced motherboard but I am not sure. I am from Malaysia, but the Manufacturer name listed under Extras + info shows RM-892_eu_euro1_016.
Mobile Operator shows 000-GB

I really do not know what to do now as I want Denim back. Any help would be appreciated.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Recently my Lumia 925 died on me. I sent it for warranty and they replaced the motherboard. I received my phone a few days after the latest technical preview was released, which included the 925, so I tested it out. I upgraded my freshly repaired phone from Cyan to Denim OTA, then installed the insider app and updated to WP10 technical preview.

After playing around a little, I decided to downgrade back to WP8.1 Denim which I was running earlier. However, BOTH the MS recovery tool and the Lumia Recovery tool can only get firmware version 3039.000.1318.10075. My OS is stuck at version 8.0.10322.71.

All OTA updates (which used to work) tells me is that I have the latest version installed. I've tried both recovery tools multiple times, and I've tried updating OTA multiple times.

I suspect this problem is because of the replaced motherboard but I am not sure. I am from Malaysia, but the Manufacturer name listed under Extras + info shows RM-892_eu_euro1_016.

Mobile Operator shows 000-GB

I really do not know what to do now as I want Denim back. Any help would be appreciated.

Try installing preview for developers.

Here
http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=178ac8a1-6519-4a0b-960c-038393741e96

See if you get denim back.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That is odd.

UK Country Variant should update to Denim... In fact you state you updated OTA from Cyan to Denim after the motherboard swap. I'm sure the repair center put in an appropriate board in their estimation since a Euro style radio setup is called for in Malaysia...

Preview for Developers which djeire84 suggests will advance your OS version number, but will not, in fact, bring you Denim Firmware in all it's complete for your model goodness.

I'd query the repair people, they may have used a retail flashing program on your phone after the motherboard swap. I'm not sure if there is a "force" required to get you up to speed or if there is an interchip conflict that keeps the consumer flashing tools from interpreting your hardware correctly.

We have several experienced flashers here and hopefully bumping this thread will get it some more expert attention. I'll see if I can get someone to take a look here.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure why your phone is unable to downgrade using the recovery tools mentioned since your phone's variant should be supported. One possibility could be that MS might not have uploaded the latest firmware for your variant on its servers?

If I were you I would try flashing the ROM using NPRT. Look for instruction in the 920 thread, its a sticky with video instructions to flash the phone. These are firmware product codes you should be looking to download in case you wish to proceed with the flash.

059S916 RM-892 VAR GB CV BLACK
059S918 RM-892 VAR GB CV GREY
059S917 RM-892 VAR GB CV WHITE

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
How are people finding it so hard to downgrade using the recovery tool, I mean the program does it all you don't have to do a thing. Its the easiest plug and play solution ever.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria