Why did you decide to buy a windows phone?

Bodeanicus

Banned
Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Curiosity. I'd owned an iPod touch (iPhone without the phone,) and a couple of Androids. I'm a tech nerd, and just wanted to check it out. I really liked it, until recently. Microsoft's past glacial update schedule, app parcity, and boneheaded hardware/pricing disparity on the newest models has made me decide to jump ship when my 822 dies. I wish circumstances were different, but it's time to abandon ship.

Terry Bernstein

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: So what made you pick a windows phone in the first place?

I should also add that I used to have a Windows based PDA. And I loved the way it let me integrate my PC and travelling/site based data, which the phones I had, or the other PDAs I'd used, couldn't. The same applies now with my Lumia.

misterff1

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site

I chose Windows Phone because I was heavily disappointed by Google's latest changes at that time. I also found Android phones to work like pure crap when they were priced under ?250 and iPhone was too expensive.
On top of that I found WP8 to be the needed improvement to this OS which made it pretty attractive to me.

The only way I will switch OS again is if a) Android will run just as fluid as WP on ANY phone including ?50 ones ( not that I have that, but it says something about the system), b) iPhones get 3 times as cheap as they are now while maintaining the same quality, or c) a new OS is released which appeals me more and runs as listed on A.

Will that happen any time soon? Pfft...no :).

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site

I wanted a new phone and I'm a Nokia fan, that is reason, acutely I didn't know anything about WP, just bought a Lumia and now I'm a part of this great community with about 460 posts....

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

I was always a fan of Windows mobile so when I heard they were building a updated more stable OS I was all for it

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

I just purchased a Nokia Lumia 920 to try out (coming from Android). I just purchased a new laptop for school and really like Windows 8 so that got me thinking. I should have it in about a week and hope it gives me a similar experience as my laptop.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

anon(9057135)

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site

I like how they looked. In fact on my android tablet (yes tablet) I tried 8launcher https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.tikusoft.l8
and https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myfknoll.win8.launcher.pro

So I went to windows phone. It's a great os, But I prefer android because 1. Open Source 2. Better Market 3. The ability to do anything with OS.

But like I said, Windows Phone is awesome. And like the OP, I won't EVER join the iCult.

OwenDL

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

Originally I would have gone with an Android, but I was watching TV(fairly rare for me) and I saw an ad for Cortana. I looked into it, and then found the Icon, which happened to be free at the time. After doing a good amount of researching and reviewing it seemed like a good phone with alot of great features, and it is!

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Been on Android but recently got a new Windows 8 laptop to use for working on my graduate degree. Liked it so bought a used Lumia 920. Really enjoying it so far.

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site

I tried it out when a professor was having trouble finding the alarm function on her Lumia 710. I was able to quickly navigate the system, despite having never used it before, and solved her problem quickly. I also have a general aversion to Apple stuff, and right around that time I got annoyed with Google, so an easy to navigate Windows Phone was appealing to me.

EssThree

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site

But the big thing that won me over to WP as a platform was the idea of owning an Xbox phone. I was a big fan of Xbox live arcade, which I felt was the biggest push into downloadable content for gaming last generation. I imagined a world where I could buy a game on my Xbox 360 and have a mobile version of it on my phone, as well. This SORT OF happened when the WP version of Ilo Milo came out (I really liked the XBLA version), but things fell apart quickly. I stuck around because I really liked the social networking integration (now gone) and the idea of having "hubs" that apps connect to (also gone).

Windows Phone felt unique and fresh, and all of the problems that my friends were complaining about with their Androids (bugginess being the most prevalent) and iPhones (iTunes requirement, bad build quality) were non-existent.

I bought a Samsung Omnia 7, sort of the European version of the Focus, because I really liked the look of it. It had an elegant design, AMOLED display (which really made the vibrant tiles of WP pop), but most of all it had a nice "big" (in comparison to the iPhone of 2010) 4 inch display. I also liked the idea of a physical home button with capacitive back/search keys. It was basically the WP version of the original Galaxy S, but much prettier in design, and the ideal phone hardware for me at the time. I really miss my Omnia 7. Every time I pick it up to mess around with it just feels "right". I wish Samsung would come out with something that feels the same.

/rambling

maktaba

Banned
May 31, 2014
Visit site

Because I'm a Microsoft fan boy and hate Apple and Google.. the latter very more so.

several potatos

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site

My Nexus 4 didn't have Wi-Fi calling, but the cheapest phone my store had did. That was the Lumia 521. I fell in love

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

All the camera hype about and leading up to the release of the Nokia Lumia 920 and Windows Phone 8. I read about the 920 and it's Pureview technology, and WP8 every day for months until it came out (coming from 4 generations of iPhones), and when it did, I jumped onboard, fell in love, and have never looked back!

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site

I have always been a fan of Nokia phones. I just love their durability, design and everything. Also I was a fan of their Symbian OS. It was such a versatile OS. Too bad they ditched it.

I was actually one of those people who hated Nokia's decision to go all in with Windows Phone. I was initially not a fan of the Live Tiles. They looked really ugly and boring to me back then.

But everything changed when I watched the Lumia 800 Amazing Everyday ad on YouTube. At first, I was only a fan of the music used on that ad coz it was so catchy and cool... But as I watched it repeatedly, I slowly fell in love with the phone. I love how the UI matches the hardware. It just looks so classy and sophisticated unlike those Android smartphones. And that's how became a fan and eventually, a user of Windows Phone!

Hopefully Microsoft would release a monster Lumia next year. The recent Lumias are okay, but not enough. The competition nowadays is tough so they must really do something that stands out from others.

Btw sorry for my English. I am not a native English speaker. It would be nice if you could help me out in speaking English better lol just kidding

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon