Why did you decide to buy a windows phone?

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: So what made you pick a windows phone in the first place?

My wife and I and her sister and nieces and nephews all were iPhone people and we both had iPads. I preferred my devices jailbroken, she did not. She does a lot of MS Office at work and home, and was wanting something similar on her phone and at the time iOS support for Office was nonexistent but WP had it built in. Also she's big into photography since the 35mm days.

She was eligible for upgrade so after much research we decided on the Lumia 1020. I built a personal SharePoint server (what a nightmare!) because we don't want all the confidential data under somebody else's control. Once I had all that setup, she was happy with Office and being able to share the documents between phone and computers, and the fantastic camera on the L1020, and this was the point where I realized that I too was bored with iOS.

We gave my iPad to her dad for Christmas and the one niece who always manages to break, smash, drown or otherwise destroy her iPhone just before the new model comes out was right on schedule. No new iPhone for her this year! She ended up with mine, I used her upgrade eligibility to buy a L1020 for me and there you go. Now we have two Surface Pro tablets, a 1 and a 3; she still uses the iPad a bit but not nearly as much as before. Her sister also got a L1020 around the same time, and one of the nephews retired his iPhone for a Galaxy.

Finally, the "Cupertino Reality Distortion Field" has some holes in it.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

I never owned a smartphone before 2012, since I was too cheap to pay for the ridiculous plans. When the Lumia 900 came out I went to check it out mainly due to being nostalgic for the Nokia brand. It was such a solidly built phone with an OS that was buttery smooth and looked great. I liked that so much was built in and it wasn't so app-centric. After doing some research I bought one the next week, if I recall correctly. I was very happy with it and even after I partly ran it over with my car and cracked the screen all over it worked great. Still does! In some ways I still like it better than my Icon.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Was absolutely sick of android and google and I didn't want an iPhone and the pretty tiles lured me in :D

anon(9168623)

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site

Some android phones is very laggy, apps is full of virus and the good android phones are expensive. Reaently i tested my sister's ZTE Mimosa Mini and almost explode with charging. Now she fear to use this phone and restricts to basic features. Many mounths after in my birthday, mum gave me gift a Nokia Lumia 520 later i tested the phone and thrilled. This is the best phone that i had without app crashes, good camera and cool tiles. I don't want to buy a cheap android phone

Rakesh Rocky2

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site

I went to shop I saw a windows phone 7 device I just tried it.. It was very intuitive... Then came Lumia 720 ads in tv I loved that device.. I wanted to buy a device which is unique.. Eventually bought 820 coz it had 1 gb ram .. Windows interface and glance background makes everyone look at your device

sicunder36

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site

lumia 710 was my first smart phone and i bought it because -
1) it had the fastest processor 1.4 ghz for the price range
2) i am a net junky - i like to research everything - i could access the net anywhere with it - internet on mobile i.e, 3G was finally affordable.
3) i thought like earlier windows phones that i had seen, this one too have a dedicated stylus but it didnt.salesman being a liar convinced me that i can buy good styluses later that's y it was not included - to keep the price low. then i didnt know the words "capacitive screen", "dedicated hardware", "digitizer pens". i thought touch screens meant sensitive to any type of pressure input ( the whole generation of pressure sensitive styluses had passed me by making way for heat sensitive touchscreens like laptop trackpads).
4) i thought i can dictate notes in office 365 but that was not true.
5) i had always like nokia for it's durability and build quality- i still do. too bad microsoft just killed the brand.
6) i was not aware that the the sticky notes on my laptop was part of a greater programme called one note which supports handwriting. i knew of microsoft journal but that doesnot come in mobile.
7) note series were shiny flagships far away from the coast of my financial reality - more over samsung did not at all promote it's note series in India. in india smartphones are these luxury devices for the rich to while their time away playing games and watching videos on the go - thus galaxy s series was virally marketed.
8) i hated touchscreens (even though i had never touched one before- because i associated them with games and low battery life) but the small size (it was just a phone not a phablet) win me over. it was a very professional looking phone.
9) the bundled office 365 made my belief in it's professional appeal more bold, which was misguided of course.
10) the looks of androids from samsung and chinese makes seemed too complicated.
11) windows phone lay out was extremely simple home screen and then appscreen i loved and still loved it.
12) nokia drive is great.

ablahblah

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

I've stuck with Windows Phone for the past few years because it's just a lot simpler for me. It's quicker. I bought into it when the first ads came out promoting the "Save Us From Our Phones" idea, because I loved that idea.
With the Start Screen concept and the resizeable live tiles, I can have only the information I want/need presented in my face when I open up the phone. The folders help even more by putting away things that I don't always need immediately, but give me a sub-menu (of relevant things that I pick) when I do actually want it. The app availability stinks without a doubt, but the phone lets me manage my calendar/agenda, text/call/IM, browse the internet, check mail, do Office tasks, and shoot photos on a whim, then the phone goes back in my pocket.

It's like the way I think out my everyday carry. I prefer to pack light and efficient; to me, carrying around the powerhouse dedicated tool isn't the best option, but carrying around a small multi-tool that can macgyver your way out of an everyday issue is far more practical. Android is far more powerful than Windows phone and is much more useful, iOS is far more mature than any of the three OS's, but Windows Phone's concepts make me feel like it's more efficient on a day-to-day basis.

navaren

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site

I came from BlackBerry and wanted something modern. I wasn't willing to jump into bed with Apple and every Android phone I had seen was laggy (even the high priced ones). I was also interested in something I could write apps for and was more comfortable with C# than Java.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

My first smartphone was a wm4. After that i had a few feature phones. Finally i jumped to a real smartphone a Android, loving every bit of it. Until it crashes doing some important phone call's, but okay.
Last time i stood in a gas station wen somebody asked me for a number....it took almost five minutes until the adresbook opened. That was the bloody limit. My oldest son had one of the early wp8 device's and had absolutely no problems with it. He and smartphones are a complete disaster, so it must be good. So i started to read about it and decided to jump ship. But the first one shouldn't be to expensive so i bought a l520.
Love at first sight and with 8.1 even better.
After a while it started to itch, i wanted something different.
So i found a L 1320 and stil using it.
Love the design, though i think it might be a tiny bigger, i have a thing for big screens ;)
But i like the os and it has everything i need and want from a phone.
And most of all, its stable and easy to use.
Now waiting for a 7" WP device ;)

justin winton

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I had a galaxy s3 at the time and I hated the music player on it so I used my ZUNE (my favorite MP3 player to date). Then when the 920 was announced, I saw it had the same music player as my zune so that peaked my interested. Then I started reading about all the things it had to offer (Carl Zeiss glass, NFC, Qi Wireless charging, sharp colors), the apps weren't a big deal for me. I used the music player the most often. I've been stuck ever since.

AlexT09

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Why did you switch or choose Windows phone?

Relativity new to Windows phone and I know this question has been asked I'm sure in various ways, but I just am curious. For me,I had three iPhones and never really felt much changed so I decided to get a different phone unless iPhone 6 was just something totally new and it wasn't. I've always preferred pcs over Macs and never got why people found them superior. When asking friends "what's so much better about your Mac" the only answer besides "it's just like better" was "it doesn't get viruses".

Anyway, I find just about everything superior relative to ios. The UI, synchronization with my other Windows devices, WordFlow, remote desktop, battery life, ability to participate in beta software etc.

Things I miss: It was much easier to go back to the middle of a word anywhere in a paragraph and make edits
IMessage a little just because you could see if someone is typing

Anyway, I would like to know your reasoning, and what you miss from a prior ios if windows wasn't your first and only smart phone.

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Re: Why did you switch or choose Windows phone?

Well my first phone was an android, I had it for 2 months.
Reasons why I switched away from it are just plain and simple.
Buggy, bloated, fast battery drain, no privacy, difficulty of fixing it (which is rooting and romming), and google.

Why I at first switched to Windows, the 521 was on sale, it looked really nice, it's UI was unique and different from what I saw, TMo had a special 30$ pre paid plan in place for it, and it didn't have those boring and stale static circle tiles. But when I got into it, I couldn't put it down. Rearranging tiles, watching vids, browsing. I found myself running the battery down fairly quickly and often from constant use xD
I found all the apps I could need/want and then some.

Only thing I miss from android, Nyan Cat: Lost in Space. I'm not kidding, that is seriously the only app I miss from android.

As for "seeing if someone is typing." Just about all of the chat apps ive used have this already. WhatsApp, Kik, Facebook Messenger, IM+, Skype. So don't worry about missing that.

Lastly, with Windows 10 on the way for PCs, Tablets, and Phones. The experience and ecosystem here can only get better. Don't worry about the doomsayers, even if it will never do great, they won't get rid of it, think of it like a business checkmark on a list of things to have available, and think of all the money MS has poured into it. They won't let it die quite so easily as they did with Zune c;

----------------------------------------
Optimistic Windows Phone fan and spokesperson :D

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

Relativity new to Windows phone and I know this question has been asked I'm sure in various ways, but I just am curious. For me,I had three iPhones and never really felt much changed so I decided to get a different phone unless iPhone 6 was just something totally new and it wasn't. I've always preferred pcs over Macs and never got why people found them superior. When asking friends "what's so much better about your Mac" the only answer besides "it's just like better" was "it doesn't get viruses".

Anyway, I find just about everything superior relative to ios. The UI, synchronization with my other Windows devices, WordFlow, remote desktop, battery life, ability to participate in beta software etc.

Things I miss: It was much easier to go back to the middle of a word anywhere in a paragraph and make edits
IMessage a little just because you could see if someone is typing

Anyway, I would like to know your reasoning, and what you miss from a prior ios if windows wasn't your first and only smart phone.

I got WP only coz of Nokia, I dont miss anything from Android, but miss a lot from Symbian.

btw when u say its difficult o go back to the middle of word may I know what youre trying, I agree its a little hard but seems to work just fine

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

For me it was the UI. I tried a borrowed phone (a Samsung Focus running Mango) and my first thought was that it made iOS feel like Android (this was in the days of Gingerbread, when the Android UI was an emetic and laggy pile of garbage; it's a lot better now). The UI looked and felt great and I could see my notifications from the start menu. iOS didn't have notifications yet and Android had the thumb-busting NC it still has, so live tiles were great.

iOS and Android have played a lot of catch up since then, and if they would switch to live tiles they could really compete with WP feature-wise. Until then, the only apps I wish I had from iOS are Audible that doesn't lose your place twice per day and SmartGo Books. WP actually has more apps that I like than Android does. And I miss flagship releases that haven't forgotten important features from the phones they are supposed to replace.

Silent Fox

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I was a die hard iPhone user, and my grandmother wanted a smart phone so I bought her a windows phone cause I thought it would be easy for her. Teaching her about it, I figured it out and thought it was smoother than my iPhone.

However, what made me switch was something extremely basic. Internet explorer would not try to reload a webpage when it was opened. I run a business and am often out where there is no service, and i utilize a lot of information pulled up online for clients. The ability to keep a tab open offline is what sold me on it.

I ditched the iPhone 4s and iPad and got a HTC 8x and surface and loved it. Are they more fun? No. But, they were much more productive in a bad service area, with longer battery life, the handy one note app, and at the time i found the native office and cloud to be better for me. Also the tiles are my fav.

I have the m8 now, buy im still convinced my old 8x is the fastest thing ever lol. I had an extremely good experience with it

vincechan

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

I've been using Windows devices since my old Windows Mobile I-Mate Jam (the HTC Magician, I think?) back in 2005. I liked the functionality of the OS, how you could do more than just make calls or send texts. Switching to WP7 was a natural sort of progression, despite the clear differences between that and Windows Mobile. Happy with WP8 right now, but looking forward to see what the next iteration of the OS brings! :)

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

For me I think the Iphone is way overpriced for what you get, and the android market is to fragmented with so many different versions. I think I made the right choice with windows. Also the apps the android apps always want permissions for everything but your first born.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes