Why does an app need access to my microphone, music and photo libraries?

cmih

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum, but...

I installed an app called AccuWeather so I could check the weather in my area. It's a nice app, but I would like to know why it and other apps need access to my microphone, and my music library and picture library. Below is the entire list of what the app requires. Please note I am not trying to single out this particular app for criticism. Many apps require such access. I just don't understand why. Is this something I should worry about? I'd appreciate it if someone who knows about creating apps could reply with an explanation. Thanks.

• phone identity
  • owner identity
  • location services
  • maps
  • music library
  • photos library
  • media playback
  • microphone
  • data services
  • push notification service
  • movement and directional sensor
  • speech
  • web browser component
  • HD720P (720x1280)
  • WVGA (480x800)
  • WXGA (768x1280)
  • photo, music, and video libraries
  • phone dialer

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum, but...

I installed an app called AccuWeather so I could check the weather in my area. It's a nice app, but I would like to know why it and other apps need access to my microphone, and my music library and picture library. Below is the entire list of what the app requires. Please note I am not trying to single out this particular app for criticism. Many apps require such access. I just don't understand why. Is this something I should worry about? I'd appreciate it if someone who knows about creating apps could reply with an explanation. Thanks.

• phone identity
  • owner identity
  • location services
  • maps
  • music library
  • photos library
  • media playback
  • microphone
  • data services
  • push notification service
  • movement and directional sensor
  • speech
  • web browser component
  • HD720P (720x1280)
  • WVGA (480x800)
  • WXGA (768x1280)
  • photo, music, and video libraries
  • phone dialer
Not sure about the latter of the three you mentioned at the beginning.
As for the microphone though, well iif your on WP 8.0 you know how you can hold the start/home button and use voice for a specific task, like opening an app or doing a search etc, well its probably for that, so you can say "Open Accuweather" and the phone assist will open the app. Or Cortana if your on 8.1. I could be way wrong but that's my 2 cents.

CrossedFaith

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I think the media library is an optional thing, so you can upload pictures of your weather where you are. I could be mistaken in that though

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion