Why does my location symbol keep popping up while I'm web searching on my Nokia Lumia 635?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Why does my location symbol keep popping up while web searching on my Nokia Lumia 635, EVEN when my location IS TURNED OFF in settings??? And how do I stop it???

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
According to Microsoft, you see the symbol when an Application is "requesting" location. Check inside Settings > Location underneath the toggle where you turned Location off it explains about the icon and requests... You can uncheck the "show icon" box.

Internet sites and search are always checking location to get you the best match on a variety of factors. The requests will come in, but with Location turned off they are not granted. Turn off the icon if it annoys you.

https://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/apps/location-awareness-and-my-phone

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think Cortana/Bung also has a local search option.

Absolutely. They want to bring you relevant results and if you ask for McDonalds and you live in Los Angeles they don't want to show you all the Heidelberg locations of McDonalds.

The OP is one of those users who turns Location off and wonders why the icon still shows up. It's just a request... Can I have Location - No there is a blanket denial for one and all... Can I have Location - No there is a blanket denial for one and all... Can I have Location - No there is a blanket denial for one and all... Can I have Location - No there is a blanket denial for one and all...

Best just to turn the icon off. It's only showing requests if you keep Location off.

I don't get it. The issue masquerades often as "privacy concern" when the phone is really just trying to be as useful to you as it can or "battery drain" when I really am hard pressed to see a difference with my battery between always on and always off. Searching for cellular will really rob battery; in my experience having Location always on really is a negligible difference.

To each their own I suppose...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12