Why *haven't* you bought a Lumia 950?

BenGutt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I agree with all of your reasons. I will add that I don't expect a true 1020 replacement. I'm just loath to "upgrade" for an unfinished, unstable, and overpriced product. When they sort it out, drop the price, and my 1020 is closer to its end date, I'll switch.

I replaced my 1020 with a 950xl (Loving it btw), with my wife refusing to do so as her 1020 "Has a better camera due to the megapixels being higher." After comparing pictures taken with the xl and the 1020 she had me order a 950 that same day. I don't regret loosing my 1020 at all, the battery life on the XL is double that of my two year old 1020's.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I really want to love the 950/XL. The specs alone should persuade me with up-to-date mega core processors, 3GB RAM, gorgeous QuadHD screen, W10 native. Plus, all the shortcomings I have with the 930 are addressed i.e. expandable storage, larger screen, thinner and lighter body, greatly improved cooling, Glance support.

So I admit that some of reasons against it might seem a little pretentious but it just goes to show how much we are affected by the little things in such big ways.
1) Totally uninspiring plastic body and a flimsy back cover. My 930 looks and feels like a premium product, solidly built. The 950/XL looks stuck at the early reference design stage.
2) Only available in white and black. In stark contrast to all previous Lumia flagships, this is a backward step. I don't want a third-party cover to express a colour preference. Equally, I don't want to associate with Apple or Android fanatics.
3) Doesn't support double-tap-to-wake *currently*. I'm guessing that this will be addressed in a future firmware update, I can't imagine that the hardware simply doesn't support it but it adds to the feeling of an unfinished product.
4) Yes, it's still a little too expensive. In the UK, clove.co.uk are selling the 950 for ?449, the 950XL for ?529. I paid ?435 for the 930 (from Clove) upon its release and although back in 08/2014, that was still a little overpriced, I felt it was justified because it came with a generous bundle including a Bluetooth speaker, an additional wireless charger/battery pack and a ?20 app store voucher.

So adding it all up, it's not compelling enough for me to get the 950 even with the ground-breaking Continuum feature which of course, requires more optional kit. Plus, I'm guaranteed to upgrade my existing 930 and 830 and breathe new life into what are still quality pieces of hardware. Why do I need the 950?

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm a Verizon user who can't switch carriers right now...and for a tongue in cheek reference (though the truth), no Amazon ALEXA app...love the shopping list feature of Amazon Echo... (and yes, had to go to Android because when my ICON died, no flagship to replace with)...

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't see any logic in spending ₹50k on a smartphone when I can get a full PC for 70k. I am talking about Surface 3 or Dell XPS 13.
However, of L950 came with Intel processor and ran full Win 10, I could have bought it already.

txo

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
Because it's huge. XL has even less acceptable size. Waiting for phone the size of L820. What I'm looking forward is high end phone that can sit comfortably in a hand and is thumb friendly.

xchaser

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Waiting for the surface phone since the 950XL is not on T-Mobile and hoping they don't pull a 950 950xl at&t exclusive thing. If they do I will jump to ... and I hate to say this..... apple.

Simon Rhodes

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Same here with my 950XL I have no problems apart from wmpoweruser app heats the phone up quite a bit. Battery easily lasts a day heavy use, no reboots, Windows Hello works great for me since the firmware update. I couldn't be happier.

So many people say that win10mobile is so buggy and horrible and I don't understand it. Myself with my 640 and 950, and multiple friends haven't had a problem even close to what people list online. It's really weird

brunoadduarte

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Because:

- I bought an 830 last May and don't feel the need to upgrade;
- Probably the crappiest and most generic design of any phone out there today;
- Bigger than an 830, which is big enough as it is
- Sound quality on headphones not comparable to high-ends from other platforms

Florin_Anghel

Banned
Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Because:
- Not slim enough, yet not durable enough. There is no trade off here, both are lacking. The battery is under one day usage, and when I say one day I mean 12h. If it was slim I would have been ok with that.
- No fingerprint sensor. The Iris scanner is not fast enough. The fingerprint on IPhone 6 is blazing fast, instantly unlocking the phone.
- On screen buttons, not that I am against them but pocketnow editor made a good observation when he said "having on screen buttons makes the screen smaller even though it's larger"
- No premium feel, besides the mozo cover. If you don't buy the cover if feels like you have a mid-range device wrt the looks.
- The screen quality does not seem enough for me. Idk why but it feels behind a glass. Take for comparison a Samsunge Galaxy, it's like you are touching the icons and not the glass. Same goes for the iPhone, screen is amazing. I feel (think) the 950 has an extra layer of something on it, makes the icons seem further away, not on the real surface.
- Vibration is quite non-existent. Not powerful enough.
- Design is meh, nothing on the back cover, a scroll, a sensor, all other devices from competitors embraced this feature.
- Sound for headphones is subparrrrrrrrr. This is a flag ship device which means I also have high-end headphones, like B&W in my case. The HTC 8X was the only one who swiped the floor with other Lumia's regarding sound in headphones.

klaw81

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
1) Waiting on price drop, simfree and/or carrier tariff options.
2) Dual-sim variant required, not seeing much availability in UK.

My 930 serving me well for now until 950 price drops.
I upgrade then pass my old Lumia to the wife... (win,win!)

Phone_fan

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I had a 950XL on preorder from the MS store. But had to cancel it when I luckily saw it was going to charge my bank account instead of my PayPal credit service. The MS store checkout process doesn't allow you to choose the PayPal service you want to use.

Sad that I had to cancel, but charging my bank account would have been a disaster. Tried to re-preorder with other credit services, but couldn't because it was no longer in stock.

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site
The 950 is behind on updates right now, it's running 10586.29, where my Nokia 520 is running 10586.36,
There seems to be a problem getting the 950 up to date with other Microsoft phones. Now the only
thing working on the 950 is continuum, which would be good for business or school purpose, but
people working at a business or school would rather have the business or school pay for the phone,
since it's priced to high now. Most people won't be using continuum, they'll be using the phone
and apps, but for now opening apps isn't working as it should.

NinjaTreecko

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm done with Windows phone. This was Microsoft's last chance to get mobile right and they released beta software and ****ty hardware and had the temerity to sell it as a finished product. Microsoft is disrespectful. Apple would never push out a product like that that just fails on all fronts (they at least always get the aesthetics right) and expect people to pay for.
I'm gonna buy an iphone next (for the first time). I doubt the surface phone is gonna be the killer device we all hope it is.

mr_fomo

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
(1) High price over here - almost $500 above Nexus 6P
(2) My 640 XL does the job "a-ok" for now.
(3) Still no solution to the Bluetooth bug, that's keeping me from using my Wahoo HRM.

OneillM

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
Like most people I waiting for the price to drop into probably the low $200 range. At almost $700 my 640XL will do just fine. I think they should make a quality phone like the 950XL but at a price where ever day consumers can purchase without losing all the the good stuff (Windows Hello/ Continuum).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kasha963