Why is Groove Music unable to find the artists in my collection?

HerrKaputt

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I recently upgraded from a Lumia 635 to a Lumia 950 Dual Sim. After the initial friction of dealing with ridiculous heat and battery drain (seriously MSFT, the out-of-the-box experience is horrible), I am now almost happy with the upgrade.

One thing is not working though: I migrated my music collection through the SD card. It consists only of local files which have been passing from mp3 player to mp3 player, i.e. not connected to any online store (they were originally ripped from CDs, if that matters). All the songs are on the new phone, they play properly, their artists are recognized correctly if I long-press a song and select "Properties", but those artists are missing from the list of artists, and therefore I cannot do what I usually do, which is automatically play all songs of a given artist.

It seems that Groove Music didn't index the songs properly or something.

This is quite a dealbreaker for me, and if left unresolved I'll return the phone. Is there a fix for this?

Thanks
HK

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I recently upgraded from a Lumia 635 to a Lumia 950 Dual Sim. After the initial friction of dealing with ridiculous heat and battery drain (seriously MSFT, the out-of-the-box experience is horrible), I am now almost happy with the upgrade.

One thing is not working though: I migrated my music collection through the SD card. It consists only of local files which have been passing from mp3 player to mp3 player, i.e. not connected to any online store (they were originally ripped from CDs, if that matters). All the songs are on the new phone, they play properly, their artists are recognized correctly if I long-press a song and select "Properties", but those artists are missing from the list of artists, and therefore I cannot do what I usually do, which is automatically play all songs of a given artist.

It seems that Groove Music didn't index the songs properly or something.

This is quite a dealbreaker for me, and if left unresolved I'll return the phone. Is there a fix for this?

Thanks
HK

I could suggest you make sure that you have the latest update for groove music app
Also, try removing the songs from the sd card, restart the phone and then copying them back and waiting for groove to index them again

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Groove does take some time to sort out its database so time is often a cure, but as Chintan said, as you have them as MP3's it could be a good plan to remove them and start again, but only do a few albums at a time to give it a chance to sort it's self out and make sure they all work before adding more.

Another option would be to add them to OneDrive rather than as local only music, but again slowly is best.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Groove does take some time to sort out its database so time is often a cure, but as Chintan said, as you have them as MP3's it could be a good plan to remove them and start again, but only do a few albums at a time to give it a chance to sort it's self out and make sure they all work before adding more.

Another option would be to add them to OneDrive rather than as local only music, but again slowly is best.

adding them to onedrive is only an option if your internet is widely and cheaply available. Listening to 50 songs of 5Mb each per day will be a data usage of 7500MB or7.5GB a month. That's 20USD in my area so no go on that :wink:

wgrs

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Groove is severly broken. It's 2016 and it cannot even correctly recognize artists/albums.

I use CorePlayer instead. Does those simple things correctly. You can play artists/albums, or play by folder.

HerrKaputt

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

Checking for updates at the Store shows no updates available, so I suppose I have the latest Groove version.

OneDrive is an option I would prefer not to use, I want that space for other stuff.

I will try removing the files and adding them again.

Thanks
HK

HerrKaputt

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
So, I tried deleting all the songs and re-copying them to the SD card. I tried that twice, once with the "send to" context menu, and one with just drag-and-dropping through Windows explorer. Neither worked.

Fortunately, in earlier days I got Loco Music Player through myAppFree and it's a pretty decent music player so I will use that.

Microsoft, when I write my Amazon review (this weekend) you're getting two stars. Seriously, going through so many hurdles on a flagship? That's why you're losing market share.

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
I have a little over 7000 songs on OneDrive and Groove recognizes the artist, album and all other details fine for every file. I used MP3Tag to make sure that all the tags were properly filled out before I uploaded the files. One of the issues I had initially was that the "Album Artist" field was blank, and the "Artist" field had the correct Artist data. After some messing around with a few files I discovered that "Album Artist" should be (for me at least) the artist who's name the album was released under, and "Artist" could be the same, or even modified to include a featured guest artist. Once I got all that figured out, my files are all correctly sorted in Groove, and when playing, it shows the "Artist" data so you can see featured or alternate artist names.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077