Why is my Windows 10 os computer having disk boot failures so frequently?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

So, recently, I've gotten the Windows Anniversary update, and as a result, have had more frequent error screens, that lead to the computer restarting into a boot sequence where the computer ultimately just says "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" and I bypass this by turning the computer off and back on. This has been a reoccuring problem, but only just recently, when I completed the update, I have been receiving this error up to three to four times a day, if my computer is left unattended for more than ten minutes. I looked at my update history, and spotted this line repeated at least four times a day.

? Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3176495) - Error 0x80242fff

I'm not sure what is going on. Any help would be appreciated.

BluWarrior

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Your hard drive is probably failing. A lot of writing to the disk happens during a big update and that may have sent it over the edge. I don't believe it's a software issue as the OS still sometime loads; however you could backup your files (and should if your hard drive is almost dead) and try a fresh install of windows to see if it is software. The failed update would be because your computer isnt consistently booting and the update cant configure itself because of this.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'd agree with BluWarrior. This sounds a lot like a failing hard drive. You could look online for a tool to test it. Western Digital, Seagate, and others have good ones. It would be helpful if you could let us know what type of device this is on.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
So, recently, I've gotten the Windows Anniversary update, and as a result, have had more frequent error screens, that lead to the computer restarting into a boot sequence where the computer ultimately just says "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" and I bypass this by turning the computer off and back on. This has been a reoccuring problem, but only just recently, when I completed the update, I have been receiving this error up to three to four times a day, if my computer is left unattended for more than ten minutes. I looked at my update history, and spotted this line repeated at least four times a day.

• Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3176495) - Error 0x80242fff

I'm not sure what is going on. Any help would be appreciated.

try this for starters: SFC Scan: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon