Why is there no undo feature on WP 8.1?

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Copy/cut paste and undo are pretty basic features. I understand WP doesn't have cut because it does copy and delete but why no undo option? IPhones have shake to undo but WP has nothing? There have been plenty times I wanted to undo something I deleted while typing or something I type by accident. Why are we missing this feature?

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
This is an interesting feature request that I've honestly never come across before. Whenever I'm typing etc. or have copied something I just select and delete and then retype what I want but I can see how an undo option would be handy.

How would you want it in the OS .. the same shake to undo or do you think there's a better way that's more stylised to WP that it could be implemented?

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
This is an interesting feature request that I've honestly never come across before. Whenever I'm typing etc. or have copied something I just select and delete and then retype what I want but I can see how an undo option would be handy.

How would you want it in the OS .. the same shake to undo or do you think there's a better way that's more stylised to WP that it could be implemented?

I think shake would be cool or have multiple icons pop up when the copy icon is supposed to pop up. One for copy, one for cut and one for undo.

Scott Petrack

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
It's hard for me to imagine that there is a more obvious or annoying gap in the basic feature set of Windows Phone than the lack of Undo/Redo when typing. It causes me a moment of something between mild annoyance and utter hatred on a daily basis. I miss it even more with Windows Phone 8.1 than I did with Windows Phone 8, because I find it so much more difficult to avoid fat-fingering while typing in Windows 8.1.
If there is some process for the WP to proactively check with the community of users about the desireability of new features, could I humbly suggest that use that for this one? :I would be very surprised to see it come up anywhere but in the very highest place.
Shake would be ok, I suppose, but I would prefer there to be a small icon on the same row as the "paste" icon (which appears whenever the keyboard is visible). Since the "undo" action should be visible and active more often than any other action in the copy-paste-cut-.... family ("undo" need to be available after the first keystroke -- only the keys of the keyboard itself need to be available more often), I think the "undo" button should be either at the beginning or the end of the row. You might even consider putting it at the "far" end of the row on which the paste button sits - so that it always appears in the same place on the keyboard.)

--with thanks,

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
@Christopher Lindsay, you're not alone in wanting this feature. There are over a dozen similarly themed requests on the official UserVoice website. https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/ If only people would search requests first before posting, it would gain much more traction as one request. Ah well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb