Why its Windows Mobile or NOTHING for me... What were you looking forward to in Windows 10 Mobile?

Dono Newcomb

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Frankly I was waiting for the platform to advance to the point that we are running full 32 and 64 bit programs. Full blown windows on a phone!!! I know most of the younger generation don't care about this yet, since they have no idea of the freedom of movement they are missing, who can blame them their idea of gaming is playstation, xbox and other platforms where they have to eat from a limited menu with no options. But when you know the difference between being forced to live in a bubble and not knowing the difference is different than knowing the limitations and choosing to be limited. Not that Windows Mobile is for gamers, but it is just an illustration to highlight the difference between platforms and why many of us are waiting for a full blown x86 platform on a mobile device that can make calls and text as well.

Windows 10 Mobile was the platform that was making the most promises leading this direction. But if Microsoft is abandoning ever making a phone that can run full windows, then I am done with Smart Phones and will buy a cheap little flip phone and stick to my tablet for other functions. I wont be manipulated into forking out the kind of money they want for smart phones and end up with a device I hate, I wont do it anymore, I AM DONE...

If Microsoft gets off their butt and delivers a Phone running IoT Core that runs x86 applications I will buy it and be happy, but if not I am going back to what I know works. At this point if someone made a Laptop running full Windows 10 that could make calls and text I would ditch my Elite x3, besides when I am driving I use hands free Bluetooth anyway, whats the difference if it comes from a laptop or a phone?

This thread isn't to debate android or ios vs Windows, this thread is for people to voice their ideas on Windows Based Mobile devices and what they would like to see for user control.

RobbieRobski

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I feel that WOA on phone form factor will just never happen. It would be nice if they had an option for crazy people that wanted to experiment.

Sorry it slipped my mind, however I coulda sworn I just read about a flagship recently that just came out or is on the verge of releasing that comes out of the box with the boot loader unlocked or something. I don't understand why they couldn't put the "phone" bits available in some package that could be deployed on WOA and allow people to do whatever they want on sub 6" screens. Then again you would lose the ability to get certain mobile only apps like authenticator which for me is pretty critical.

It would have been great if they developed drives for mobile in a similar fashion for PC where everything is plug and play. But with so many cameras and finger print sensors etc I kind of understand why this isn't just thrown out into the wind for enthusiasts.

Good luck fellow crazy person.

@techiez
I thought I heard on windows weekly podcast that the modem was only going to be for data, not phone calling abilities. Could be mistaken though.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
well I think current version may not yet have full telephony stack but could be done via an update in future, I'm sure it would make its way soon.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
With T-Mobile's Digits, My Surface 3 LTE becomes a phone, a 10.8" screened phone. Picture if you will, holding that up to your head with the Type Cover dangling by your neck. Apparently, the Digits app for PC includes a dialer because I've never seen one for PCs.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
With T-Mobile's Digits, My Surface 3 LTE becomes a phone, a 10.8" screened phone. Picture if you will, holding that up to your head with the Type Cover dangling by your neck. Apparently, the Digits app for PC includes a dialer because I've never seen one for PCs.

You could start a new trend and become the cool guy in your neighborhood!

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
What was I looking forward to in Windows 10 Mobile?

Support. From Microsoft. From apps. But that never happened.

So instead of having a Pity Me Party - “I am done with Smart Phones and will buy a cheap little flip phone and stick to my tablet for other functions. I wont be manipulated into forking out the kind of money they want for smart phones and end up with a device I hate, I wont do it anymore, I AM DONE...” - all I am done with is Windows Phones.

I have moved on. I am never going backwards to Windows Mobile. The mythical folding device running Windows 10 does not interest me at all.

Windows 10 is not a mobile OS. It will never be a mobile OS. Its a barely tolerable desktop OS. It will never have mobile apps. I am not interested in running ancient Win32 junk in my pocket. Why this prospect seems to fascinate some people here escapes me.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site

So instead of having a Pity Me Party - “I am done with Smart Phones and will buy a cheap little flip phone and stick to my tablet for other functions. I wont be manipulated into forking out the kind of money they want for smart phones and end up with a device I hate, I wont do it anymore, I AM DONE...” - all I am done with is Windows Phones.

I have moved on. I am never going backwards to Windows Mobile. The mythical folding device running Windows 10 does not interest me at all.

Windows 10 is not a mobile OS. It will never be a mobile OS. Its a barely tolerable desktop OS. It will never have mobile apps. I am not interested in running ancient Win32 junk in my pocket. Why this prospect seems to fascinate some people here escapes me.

that's funny... it escapes me why people would want to put up with an OS that's enclosed and limited in what it can do functionality wise compared to win10 (but at least is has a TON OF APPS) and ad driven crap riddled with security flaws and privacy issues... but I thought we weren't here to discuss that... and funny but my desktop OS works pretty darn good to me... maybe you just stick to your fruit kind of OS? and sorry but "a lot" of us would like to have those handy win32 apps in our pocket... be a helluva more productive than those other OS's

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

I agree. While I understand some people (a very small population) still enjoy Windows Mobile, you can tell by others comments and needing to mock or attempt to dumb down other OS’s as an excuse for Windows mobiles shortcomings.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I agree. While I understand some people (a very small population) still enjoy Windows Mobile, you can tell by others comments and needing to mock or attempt to dumb down other OS’s as an excuse for Windows mobiles shortcomings.

With you on this. While none of the platforms are perfect (IMHO) it's hard to dispute the facts Windows Mobile pales in comparison to the others. Personally would have liked nothing more for WM to be still in the running but sadly, it is not.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
With you on this. While none of the platforms are perfect (IMHO) it's hard to dispute the facts Windows Mobile pales in comparison to the others. Personally would have liked nothing more for WM to be still in the running but sadly, it is not.

I’m with you. I held out hope that they had some kind of plan that would keep me on the platform, even though I knew chances were slim to none.
Again, that doesn’t mean it doesn’t still work for some people, just not for most despite the negative comments about the two platforms that did stay in the game and develop a winning strategy.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I’m with you. I held out hope that they had some kind of plan that would keep me on the platform, even though I knew chances were slim to none.
Again, that doesn’t mean it doesn’t still work for some people, just not for most despite the negative comments about the two platforms that did stay in the game and develop a winning strategy.
Quite the shame isn't it? For the most basic smartphone tasks like calls, email, contacts and calendars, Windows is better. I don't think there's any argument there but the convenience of apps that simplify our daily lives puts Windows Mobile in the dumpster. I don't think there's any argument there either. I'm almost at the point of carrying an SE in my pocket for that reason. Android just doesn't do it for me but I'm trying real hard.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Quite the shame isn't it? For the most basic smartphone tasks like calls, email, contacts and calendars, Windows is better. I don't think there's any argument there but the convenience of apps that simplify our daily lives puts Windows Mobile in the dumpster. I don't think there's any argument there either. I'm almost at the point of carrying an SE in my pocket for that reason. Android just doesn't do it for me but I'm trying real hard.

Yup, it was a shame.
I played around with Android for a few years but decided on the simplicity of iPhone. They just do things different ways.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yup, it was a shame.
I played around with Android for a few years but decided on the simplicity of iPhone. They just do things different ways.
I hate using the term "simple" when discussing iOS. It infers their users are dummies that need things spoon fed to them but that's not the case. I'm no developer but I'm willing to wager Apple pays more for their apps and thus have higher expectations. My beef with Apple has always been their stubborn resistance to incorporate a true file management system so users can do what they want. For example, there is no valid argument for not having mass storage available via USB considering SD cards have never been supported on any iOS device. Ever.

I'm not going to start another iOS flaming session but I will state that if they ever decide to open things up it will be game, set and match in the mobile world. I wonder if Google pays Apple "on the side" to keep the status quo?

Sent from my Idol 4S on mTalk

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I hate using the term "simple" when discussing iOS. It infers their users are dummies that need things spoon fed to them but that's not the case. I'm no developer but I'm willing to wager Apple pays more for their apps and thus have higher expectations. My beef with Apple has always been their stubborn resistance to incorporate a true file management system so users can do what they want. For example, there is no valid argument for not having mass storage available via USB considering SD cards have never been supported on any iOS device. Ever.

I'm not going to start another iOS flaming session but I will state that if they ever decide to open things up it will be game, set and match in the mobile world. I wonder if Google pays Apple "on the side" to keep the status quo?

Sent from my Idol 4S on mTalk

Maybe a better word that simple would have been efficient. Not a lot of extra, unnecessary fluff. Even a file management system has become unimportant to me as the way the OS works I find very few instances where I wish I had one. I don’t think Apple is being stubborn but they certainly don’t want to mess up the efficiency of the OS. It’s worked for a decade.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
It is still Microsoft mobile or nothing for me. No excuses, no interest in following the "in" crowd. No real need for anything else. I have been quizzing the people I know with those other mobile OS and most people don't know what their phones can do and only really have very very limited use of apps, maybe four that they actually use. Now, admittedly, I'm talking about the common everyday real people, not the techies.
I'm waiting for the next thing. Just like one of my old cars, my Windows phone still works and gets me where I want to go. I'm not a quitter or a follower.
Just my thoughts.

Best Wishes

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
It is still Microsoft mobile or nothing for me. No excuses, no interest in following the "in" crowd. No real need for anything else. I have been quizzing the people I know with those other mobile OS and most people don't know what their phones can do and only really have very very limited use of apps, maybe four that they actually use. Now, admittedly, I'm talking about the common everyday real people, not the techies.
I'm waiting for the next thing. Just like one of my old cars, my Windows phone still works and gets me where I want to go. I'm not a quitter or a follower.
Just my thoughts.

Best Wishes

I’m really interested where people come up with thoughts like this.
For instance, I’m about as much with the in crowd as Sheldon Cooper. That never entered my mind.
Second, having very limited use of apps? Just because there are a lot of apps doesn’t mean everyone uses all of them. It means there’s a variety so everyone has choices depending on their wants and needs.
Lastly, a quiter or follower? Really? That’s the best you can come up with?

Just my thoughts.

Best wishes back at ya!

Last edited:

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
“With you on this. While none of the platforms are perfect (IMHO) it's hard to dispute the facts Windows Mobile pales in comparison to the others. Personally would have liked nothing more for WM to be still in the running but sadly, it is not.”

Agreed. I was the only person in my family/friends using a Windows Phone. I had a 920, an Icon, a 1520 and lastly a 950XL.

Then I got a hand me down iPhone 5. It had a horribly small screen, but it worked just fine. It was nearly 5 years old and was running the latest iOS.

Then I got sidetracked by work-issued Android Phones (Samsung S6 then an S7 Edge). While the hardware is fine - even great - Android is just a mess. Very primitive compared to Windows and iOS. Even bought an Android tablet. But the more I used Android the less I liked it.

I am now 100% on iOS for mobile, with iPhones and iPads. Typing this on an iPad Pro. Very nice.

Windows 8.1 is the end of the line for me concerning Microsoft. Its on my desktop and laptops. Their rather pathetic attempt to force 10 on everyone was the last straw for me. Mind you, I have been using Windows since 3.0 in 1990 or so. I actively blocked 10 from installing, and enjoyed blocking it. I have it on a separate partition on my desktop, thanks to an MSDN subscription where I work. I can get anything I want from MS for free.

Windows 10 is only the second version of Windows that I dont want, after ME which was a joke. Vista was more useful to me than 10.

So, with Windows Mobile gone and Windows 10 not working for me, it was time to move on. No “following the in crowd”, just using what works for me. I will keep 8.1 for a few more years (speaking of not following the crowd: I am one of the 123 people who actually LIKES Windows 8.1). Then I will get a Mac.

Unless Windows 10 becomes less of a PITA, but that seems doubtful at this point.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site

BWAHAHAHAHA... are you guys holding hands with each other as you write your replies?

that's funny the only "mocking" and "dumbing down" and "short comings" I see is posts about WM10 in every thread someone tries to post a positive thread about Wm phones (like this one) from the same peeps around here that can't stand that (always seems to be the same peeps) but then someone comes along and tries to contribute to said thread and then they have to vaguely make more cheap shots about poster and WM even though the poster is making valid and truthful points about these other OS's and they get bent out of shape and then try to condescendingly in the guise of being vague as to not offend the mods... but still overlooking and ignoring "facts" said about these other OS's and can't seem to come to terms with the truth... some of you may not like it but they still have to come to realization that a lot of us still love WM and will continue to use WM until our device cease to function. so get over it and enjoy your fruit kind of OS and your Droid kind of OS and let us go on with our fun and please STOP TELLING US TO LET IT GO OR DROP IT OR MOVE ON OR WINDOWS MOBILE IS DEAD ECT ECT... BTW the point that the same peeps don't get is that we've (us WM users) tried the other OS's and we have decided that we don't like them or choose to not use them for MANY good reasons. some users of the fruit kind try to excuse the shortcomings of the other OS's by saying they're "USED TO THE SIMPLE OS NOW" but in actuality they've just accepted the "fallacy" that SAID OS works better... and if it works better for the simpleton then that's fine and go enjoy it. but stop coming in these threads and saying nonsense like WM pales in comparison to the other OS's when in fact WM shines more and has more real world usage and is MORE productive than the other OS's.. that's a fact! WM users can point out a DOZEN ways WM is more productive than the other OS's which has already been done and proven in another thread but then again the same peeps went in that thread and starting posting and saying WM is dead and to move on.... like I've said before only thing the other OS's have is more APPS... thats it, thats all you got! yea other OS's are mature and been around longer than WM but thats all you got also... had MSFT started more early and stopped starting WM from scratch with each new release of a newer WM and just concentrated on updating and advancing WM then WM10 would've been leaps and bounds ahead of the other OS's... AND WE KNOW THAT! we don't need the same peeps coming in here and trying to tell us we're wrong and WM is dead and keep parroting the same line over and over... yes we know MSFT is dropping WM, but what you don't get is? we don't care! and some of us know MSFT is going to come out with something better whether that be Surface phone or what ever they release in the future, what I know is I wanna be a part of it! so best wishes to you other peeps :wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)