Why Microsoft just made a huge mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Most people with Windows Phones that I know, have the original Samsung Focus without even Nodo. So I always try to get them to update and they don't even know you need to download Zune.

The other ones have a cheap Mango device (lumia 800/710/Focus flash) and they will be fine also, it was a hardware made with Mango in mind so it runs great.

The other percent consist on people with other first Gen devices like HD7/Optimus 7, most of them just jumped ship because tmob didn't have a high end WP devices and there's no a tmobile store I had being when they don't try to talk you out of it.

Lumia 900 users are no different than the ones that bough a N9 or 808, there's no further updates. But they are also pretty cheap.

The people that are the angriest are the ones that bough this phones, thinking that they will get Apollo. but Winter, why would you get a phone base on a future update? I bough my first pre-nodo Optimus because I liked what Mango offered, I even paid 200 on contract, a high end price. If you where going to tell me that, that year I wouldn't be able to get Mango because it was made for those 1.4 devices I would be reasonably angry.

I already being called an unreasonable troll, for trying to defend those accepted. Lumia 900 owners have every right to be upset and I can't believe you guys are telling them to s.uck it up, this is Crackberry levels of fanboyism.

massifheed

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
...this is Crackberry levels of fanboyism.

I must admit that I'm somewhat surprised by the amount of hostility toward those who are unhappy about the news. Sure there are some people who just whine, but most of the complaints from people I've read seem to be pretty reasonable. And it's mostly Lumia 900 owners feeling annoyed.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Most people with Windows Phones that I know, have the original Samsung Focus without even Nodo. So I always try to get them to update and they don't even know you need to download Zune.

The other ones have a cheap Mango device (lumia 800/710/Focus flash) and they will be fine also, it was a hardware made with Mango in mind so it runs great.

The other percent consist on people with other first Gen devices like HD7/Optimus 7, most of them just jumped ship because tmob didn't have a high end WP devices and there's no a tmobile store I had being when they don't try to talk you out of it.

Lumia 900 users are no different than the ones that bough a N9 or 808, there's no further updates. But they are also pretty cheap.

The people that are the angriest are the ones that bough this phones, thinking that they will get Apollo. but Winter, why would you get a phone base on a future update? I bough my first pre-nodo Optimus because I liked what Mango offered, I even paid 200 on contract, a high end price. If you where going to tell me that, that year I wouldn't be able to get Mango because it was made for those 1.4 devices I would be reasonably angry.

I already being called an unreasonable troll, for trying to defend those accepted. Lumia 900 owners have every right to be upset and I can't believe you guys are telling them to s.uck it up, this is Crackberry levels of fanboyism.

Ok, explain me, how is WP7.8 not going to make current Lumia 900 (say I buy it on July 1st) better than what I will buy?

Does one buy phones because of what future features it will have?
OR
Does one buy phones because of what current features it has?

Yes Windows Phone 7.5 won't become Windows Phone 8 - NOT because MSFT won't give you an update, because even the most costliest Lumia 900 doesn't have the hardware to run Windows Phone 8. No NFC, No multi-cores, No high res screens.

So what should have MSFT done? Design the OS such that it doesn't use NFC and multicores? or design an OS that is MUCH better than current one AND give some of its features that will add value to lame *** Lumia 900 hardware?

I got my Titan because at that time there wasn't a single phone with that screen size. Then came along Lumia 900, sexier cheaper with freebies.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I bough my Optimus because of Mango, not because of Nodo. Is perfectly normal for tech savvy people like us to make a purchase based on the future of the platform. The ones that got a Lumia based on current features don't have any problem, they are happy.

hobbit25

May 22, 2012
Visit site
I just got my lumina 800 in canada here on a 3 year contract. By the time it ends around 2015 I bet I will be seeing windows 9 phones lol.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
this really isnt complicated.....

MS doesn't care about us as much as they care about a potential 97% raise in new clients.

- just like apple and Iphone 4 - 4s
- Just like Android with 80% of their none upgradable phones.

Keep doing what your doing MS... your doing a great JOB at it!!! and better then the others for that matter. ( except the marketing still needs improvement :happy: )

people always complain, its what they do.... no one around them cares so they VENT on Forums. :straight:

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
After watching the summit today, we all learned that all current Windows Phones can't be upgrded to Windows Phone 8. Microsoft just lost so much momentum, it's crazy.

What momentum? It's barely selling at all. I've done my part, having owned an HTC HD7, Focus 1 and currently a L900. But compared to what apple and google are doing there's no momentum at all. Microsoft is gambling that hitching WP8 to Win8 is their best chance to give it some momentum.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
THE PROBLEM: 90% OF NORMAL USERS ARE VERY UPSET

Normal users don't know anything about Apollo, future updates or anything like that. They just want a phone that works for them right now. All existing WP devices do just that. They work great right now and will continue to work great for several years.

Soooo no problems really.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The ones that have the problems, are the ones that can't accept WP7 is dead. There was no momentum, no one wad rushing to get the latest windows phone, hot games and apps becoming non existent. It needed to be killed by the root, like Zune. He.ck the only reason I'm excited about WP8 is because I know is not just going to be wp7 with more features but an overhaul. WP7 was getting stale fast.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Guess what I discovered? That the L900 that was on my nightstand this morning was the same L900 that was there yesterday before all the announcements.
The phone still works the same with the same UI.
My apps will work the same, and guess what, there was an upgrade for Skype.
I still love how my screens look and how fast and smooth the UI is.

WP 8 and 7.8 were just announced yesterday, all the information about the upgrade isn't out yet. Everyone is coming out of the woodwork predicting doom and gloom. Maybe instead of everyone trying to predict the future we wait and see what happens.

Maybe 7.8 will only be a screen change and maybe it will contain more. Maybe apps for 7.x will dry up instantly and maybe they won't. Maybe the world will end at the end of the year and none of it will matter anyway.

All I know is I paid $100 for my L900 and received a $100 credit on accessories then received a $100 credit on my account. Nokia has done an excellent job of addressing problems and sending updates with more coming. I love my phone and the customer service I've been receiving from Nokia so I think I'll just keep enjoying my phone for now and I'll wait until the fall or end of the year to decide if I've been screwed or shafted.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I was upset at first...but if I'm rational about the whole ordeal, its perfectly cool. My L900 is still a rocking phone. I basically got it for free with a $50 credit and I've received a couple updates already and will get the new start screen. Not sure that too many more updates are needed. Would have liked other functions like backup etc, but I'm the fool if bought the phone for updates that were never guaranteed in the first place.

My 900 still rocks and yes WP8 devices will be better(hopefully). Here's hoping I can convince AT&T to sell me one at the new contract price and my Lumia sells for good money ;)

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I've currently got an L900 but I'm planning to upgrade to a WP8 phone at launch. But I'm keeping the L900 because there's some chance that the launch phones may have some bugs. Hopefully that software and hardware are tested to **** and back, but just in case something comes up I'm keeping my known-working L900 phone.

littlesteelo16

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
What I really dislike is the stupid excuses people are making for Microsoft's decision. Of course the older devices don't have NFC or dual core or high-res screens, we know that.

What people are angry about is that 7.8 is just a facelift for 7.5 before it gets laid out to die.
It is mango, just disguised as WP8. It still runs on Windows CE, and therefore gets none of the advantages of the new NT core or the native code support, therefore any nice new games for WP8 will not work on 7.8.

The update is superficial, and honestly when the only major new thing is the start screen, that is pretty unimpressive. When I bought my iPhone 4, I got at least 2 major software revisions of new features. I doubt after 7.8 anything major will come to mango devices.

I feel MS are trying to cover up the huge downside of having no new core with 7.8 by playing up the start screen and making the already obvious points about how there is no point in adding multi-core support/NFC on older devices.

The issue probably stems from the fact that upgrading the older devices would require formatting and reinstalling the OS. I don't see why they couldn't give that option to those who want it. Make a build of WP8 for the single core, 480x800 devices and give us the option to install.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site

But the rumors were already out before the Lumia 900 was released that there was a strong possibilty current phones would not get WP8. Thats all we debated about, leading up to, and through Lumia 900's launch for a few months. People didn't listen and bought the phone hoping, sometime threatening MS that they better upgrade our phones to WP8 or else they'll jump ship. That's why I'm calling people unreasonable. The warning was already out there. People chose to look the other way and hoped for the best. So none of you have any right to be upset. None.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
But the rumors were already out before the Lumia 900 was released that there was a strong possibilty current phones would not get WP8. Thats all we debated about, leading up to, and through Lumia 900's launch for a few months. People didn't listen and bought the phone hoping, sometime threatening MS that they better upgrade our phones to WP8 or else they'll jump ship. That's why I'm calling people unreasonable. The warning was already out there. People chose to look the other way and hoped for the best. So none of you have any right to be upset. None.

this make me think....

people that got the L900 claiming they gona jump ship if it doesn't get the upgrade..

does that mean they gona buy a Iphone/ Android phone full price? so why not just get a new WP8 full price...

lol? :happy: they might even be cheaper..

turbulent28

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Personally I came from a Palm Centro..I knew about Apollo and before buying it, had read it was a possiblity my focus S would not upgrade. Its fine. Palm Centro to Focus S... = I win.

Im on prepaid, scored both Samsungs for cheap, but my situation is different to that of a person who just coughed up a few hundred bucks, committed to a contract, and was sold on the Lumia being the flagship phone. ITs really the only windows phone on ads.. so you would figure this is their baby.

While watching the summit yesterday i kept hearing 7.8 would bring the "feel" of 8 but the only thing mentioned was the start screen. Nothing else. So naturally people take is as an upgrade of ONLY re sizable tiles.

I think had micro said or mentioned more add ons, people wouldnt be so butt hurt.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
That's the biggest issue for me. People are trying to put a positive spin on this, and are going nuts over the new start screen (which I don't particularly care for). But the real problem facing WP7.x users - and especially those of us who have just got a new WP7.5 - is that developers are going to code apps for W8/WP8 because that's the easisest option available to them. Developer app support for WP7 will drop through the floor, regardless of what anyone at MS says about being commited to expanding the WP7.x marketplace. It just won't happen. I would even go as far as saying that those companies that may have started WP7 apps will bin them and just work to W8/WP8 now. It'd be interesting to see some data in the coming months regarding new WP7.x app releases and updates. I bet it tails off pretty quick.

Personally, I think MS have a moral obligation to make sure that WP7.8 has everything in it that WP8 has that isn't reliant on hardware specs. I can see no reason why they shouldn't be able to make that happen. They owe that much to folks who have just signed two-year contracts after Nokia & MS heavily pushing the Lumia line for the last few months (and they would have known about there being no WP8 upgrade for current gen devices months before that).

From my own point of view, I had a pretty good suspicion that this was gonna happen, and I've said before that I am happy with my Lumia 900 for two years (although part of that may be down to the free Monster headphones and Nokia Play 360 speaker that came with it!). But I think of those who have just bought their phones and who may have either misunderstood or been misled about the MS update path for WP (let's not forget about 'no fragmentation' being one of the WP original selling points). They deserve more than a new start screen and a couple of features. I think MS can either benefit from this - in terms of the publicity and reputation gained from going all-out to look after their WP7.x customers - or they can let this thing generate a bad reputation for themselves by doing nothing of worth.

developers can code for wp7 and the apps will run on both from what I read!

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
this make me think....

people that got the L900 claiming they gona jump ship if it doesn't get the upgrade..

does that mean they gona buy a Iphone/ Android phone full price? so why not just get a new WP8 full price...

lol? :happy: they might even be cheaper..

But Microsoft lied, when I got the TITAN, the ethos was Microsoft was going to support them and every single phone would get at least ONE major software upgrade. Where's the major upgrade for the TITAN? It instills distrust and makes them not want the same OS again. Now I'll stick with WP7 and get a WP8 device when I'm allowed as long as I get certain stuff from the 7.8 update, if it's just a revamped start screen it's a punch in the teeth followed by a kick in the balls for people like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria