Why Microsoft just made a huge mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
This thread is an online therapy session for some. If you bought a Lumia 900 or titan/titan II recently and you didn't know there were rumors about the upgrade path for those phones and you feel ripped off, that's ok with me. I actually feel for you because I do feel MS and NOKIA really should not have been pushing the Lumia900 as hard as they have on AT&T because ppl are tied into two year contracts. But just let it go, if you don't want to get a WP8 phone then that's ok too. Apple will probably show their new phone around the same time as WP8 and you can decide if its right for you. Either way there is nothing you are gaining from posting on this thread anymore. We need to move on to other topics concerning WP8.

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
this thread is an online therapy session for some. If you bought a lumia 900 or titan/titan ii recently and you didn't know there were rumors about the upgrade path for those phones and you feel ripped off, that's ok with me. I actually feel for you because i do feel ms and nokia really should not have been pushing the lumia900 as hard as they have on at&t because ppl are tied into two year contracts. But just let it go, if you don't want to get a wp8 phone then that's ok too. Apple will probably show their new phone around the same time as wp8 and you can decide if its right for you. Either way there is nothing you are gaining from posting on this thread anymore. We need to move on to other topics concerning wp8.

this.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
We don't know how much Nokia knew about Microsoft abandoning the platform that sets the install base back to zero. If they didn't know, this is a mal-practice on the Microsoft side, and I feel sympathy for Nokia.

Believe me, Nokia knew. In fact anyone who was paying any attention or knew anything about Windows Phone development knew.

The Windows CE based kernel was ALWAYS a temporary foundation so that Microsoft could ship Windows Phone because the NT based kernel wasn't ready. Windows CE is 15 YEARS OLD. Microsoft has been planning to EOL it for a long, long time. If anything, an NT-based kernel for Windows Phone is behind schedule. Moving to an NT-based kernel has ALWAYS been on the road map for Windows Phone and it's never been a secret.

My question is does Microsoft really has to pick this time to abandon the Windows CE kernel? Couldn't they just add the hardware support for the multicore CPU in the CE kernel?

How much sense would it have made for Microsoft to invest time and resources into making major changes to the kernel they have been working to phase out for the last 2 years when the new one is about to launch? For what reason would that do that? To please a handful of fanatics too cheap to buy a new phone or too impatient just to wait until their contract is up, meanwhile 95% of consumers couldn't care less about kernels and cores and performing major OS and firmware upgrades on their cellphone?

Had I realized as much as I have now 2 months ago, I would never invest in Lumia 900 as personal phone. So there you go, my take on Microsoft's problem.

Microsoft doesn't have a problem. You do. Microsoft is following the plan they had all along.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
This is another self-entitled smug thread. 99% of smartphone users do not sign up to these sites, they did not watch the WP8 keynote and they will be perfectly happy to get 7.8 update. They will be happy as clams to learn they can size their tiles 3 different ways!

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
The question is whether it gives the user a good experience? Bells and whistles are lovely, but if our phones are unusably slow, it won't matter.
If WP8 can't function properly on Lumia 900 hardware, then Nokia is royally screwed. This is an extremely disingenuous argument; you won't see dual-core devices targeting the low-end (Joe Belfiore: "the new core lets us scale up and down"), you'll see single-core, WVGA devices.

Oh, wait. Yep, super awkward moment when the manufacturers start selling "new" devices that are identical to ours but run WP8.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Some people need to chill the **** down. I see some nicks all over the place complaining about the new startscreen and Lumia can't do this it can't do that. Grow up! Get out of here until you at least try the new stuff. God damn.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Where did I state otherwise? I'm rebutting the point that our hardware is too weak to run it.

So what are you saying, that Nokia should have never launched the Lumia series? Microsoft never said the current Lumia devices are "too weak" for WP8.

Last edited:

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I can only conclude that the time and effort it would have taken to make WP8 backward compatible with all previous hardware would have meant a delay in launching WP8. It needs to hit the same time as Windiows 8 and this holiday. With iOS6 and Android 4.1 phones set to launch, MS just can let them run away again.

However, there is no excuse in my book for Nokia. Being premier partner and no doubt knowing the ins & outs of WP8, they should have done everything possible to bring Wp8 to the Lumia, even if it means sending the phone in for a firmware upgrade if OTA is not possible. Give the customers the option of an upgrade!

For my next upgrade I pretty much decided on a Nokia because of their nice hardware and "special" relationship with MS, but thankfuly didn't upgrade to the Lumia 900. Now I'm not so sure, they are just another OEM with nice hardware and exclusive apps. This leaves my options wide open for Samsung, HTC among others. When the new WP8 phones come out, I will now buy the best phone for my money.

Last edited:

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I can only conclude that the time and effort it would have taken to make WP8 backward compatible with all previous hardware would have meant a delay in launching WP8. It needs to hit the same time as Windiows 8 and this holiday. With iOS6 and Android 4.1 phones set to launch, MS just can let them run away again.

However, there is no excuse in my book for Nokia. Being premier partner and no doubt knowing the ins & outs of WP8, they should have done everything possible to bring Wp8 to the Lumia, even if it means sending the phone in for a firmware upgrade if OTA is not possible. Give the customers the option of an upgrade!

For my next upgrade I pretty much decided on a Nokia because of their nice hardware and "special" relationship with MS, but thankfuly didn't upgrade to the Lumia 900. Now I'm not so sure, they are just another OEM with nice hardware and exclusive apps. This leaves my options wide open for Samsung, HTC among others. When the new WP8 phones come out, I will now buy the best phone for my money.

Nobody is going to mail their phone in for the upgrade. That's just insane and Microsoft is wise to nip that whole thing in the bud.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Nobody is going to mail their phone in for the upgrade. That's just insane and Microsoft is wise to nip that whole thing in the bud.
What's supposed to happen in a mail-in? Something more than can be achieved through the Zune update process? It can simply be the same program as WP8's "enthusiast" channel where people who want updates early can get them. Therefore, it's opt-in and not the fault of the carrier, etc.

Ultimately, we don't matter enough. Simple as that.

So what are you saying, that Nokia should have never launched the Lumia series? Microsoft never said the current Lumia devices are "too weak" for WP8.
So what are you saying, you called me a troll due to your lack of reading comprehension and you've decided to extend that failure to your next comment?

This is what I replied to:
The question is whether it gives the user a good experience? Bells and whistles are lovely, but if our phones are unusably slow, it won't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria