Wi-Fi on Windows Phone - Annoying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can94

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Is it with everyone that when there screen times out their Wi-Fi gets turned off? cause I only have it totally on when it is plugged into a wall I find it annoying, I want to get notifications right away not when I decide to touch the power button.

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Is it with everyone that when there screen times out their Wi-Fi gets turned off? cause I only have it totally on when it is plugged into a wall I find it annoying, I want to get notifications right away not when I decide to touch the power button.

The Wi-Fi turns on automatically to sync content.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

Yes when the phone goes to sleep the wifi turns off. I hope persistent wifi comes with WP8.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Also, on all the 2nd gen devices I've had so far, the WiFi takes about 3 seconds longer then a first gen device to activate and connect after sleep. No clue why, however, the delay was just enough for me to notice for for the first time, when I got my first 2nd gen (focus s).

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Heh, I literally just picked up my S to try the "mall search" from a couple threads down in this forum then came upon this thread. The S hasn't been able to connect to WiFi yet this morning.

But I really don't mind that it goes to sleep after the display times out...personally. It would be nice if the OS had just a simple on/off switch if you wanted to choose.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Well there is still the Mango OS bug that prevents the phone from using the WiFi after you wake the device from sleep. It will turn it on, but it will still use the data connection instead of hte WiFi. I think it's more important they fix that bug before they worry about adding new features, since it makes the phone useless if you live in a low speed/coverage area you're constantly going in and out of settings to toggle the wifi on everytime your screen turns off.

Jrexxx

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
IMO this has to be fixed ASAP! I think this is the biggest flaw in WP (for me anyway). I usually like to turn off data connection when I have wifi around at home and at university, and that's like 95% of my day, but with WP I can't do this, and I have to stay connected just to get my whatsapp messages.
I wish that the phone could connect to wifi while the screen is off, that way I can cancel my data plan and save some money :(

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Well there is still the Mango OS bug that prevents the phone from using the WiFi after you wake the device from sleep. It will turn it on, but it will still use the data connection instead of hte WiFi. I think it's more important they fix that bug before they worry about adding new features, since it makes the phone useless if you live in a low speed/coverage area you're constantly going in and out of settings to toggle the wifi on everytime your screen turns off.
It's less of a "Mango bug" and more of a "phone bug."

Sitting here with my Focus with no SIM card, WiFi wakes up almost instantly. If it didn't--and the delay was taken up by using mobile data--I wouldn't have any data throughput.

My Focus S on the other hand is just now able to connect to my home network...2 hours after I first woke the phone up.

Both are on 7.5.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
IMO this has to be fixed ASAP! I think this is the biggest flaw in WP (for me anyway). I usually like to turn off data connection when I have wifi around at home and at university, and that's like 95% of my day, but with WP I can't do this, and I have to stay connected just to get my whatsapp messages.
I wish that the phone could connect to wifi while the screen is off, that way I can cancel my data plan and save some money :(
You can, plug it in to the power and the wifi stays on.

At risk of re-treading seriously old ground.

It works like this:

Battery Power:
Screen on - WiFi ON - 3G OFF
Screen off - WiFi OFF - 3G ON

Mains Power:
Screen on - WiFi ON - 3G OFF
Screen off - WiFi ON - 3G OFF

If you're looking for an app that can provide quick shortcuts to the connections settings, get "Toggle" it's free on the Marketplace and lets you place tiles for most connections and even a "double bill" tile that shows 3G settings first and then WiFi straight after.

The WiFi turning off with the screen is a battery saving feature that is enabled as standard on every phone OS. The only difference with WP is that there is not an option to let it stay on at all times. Yes, there should be an option for people who want to change it. No, you are not unique in thinking this.

This topic has been discussed in at least 20 threads since the new year, I strongly suggest you do a search first next time or perhaps read the forum more regularly to keep yourself abreast of stuff like this.

I know I'm sounding harsh, but I'm getting a bit fed up with the same 3-4 issues getting a new thread every day or so because people can't be arsed checking first.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
its not really a bug it was intentional decision by MS to do it that way. You might call it a design flaw but its really just the way it was designed. If you put comments and vote in the suggestion app it might sway MS into changing that! Does not do much good to talk about it without action!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb