Will Microsoft cancel windows phones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordanzhninja

May 4, 2014
Visit site
As we have heard today, the marketshare is falling worldwide. (Now only 2.5%)
And the iPhone 6 is imminent which will destroy the chances of a flagship lumia phone from dominating the high-end market this fall.

With all this in mind, and windows phone clearly losing Microsoft money, will they cancel them?

I really hope not because I love windows phones and the UI of Windows Phone made me love the UI of Windows 8

norir82

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I just hope 2015 is a better year for windows in general. If they would debut Windows 9 & WP9 with flagship devices under the Surface banner I think that's a great start. Surface Desktop, Laptop, new Pro model, and finally release a Surface premium phone...

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
All this negativity. Every month this happens.
The 2.5% is at the end of a sales cycle. New devices are just around the corner, so this figure will go up... It's the same for all phone manufacturers.

Why is there the need to say WP is doomed? Whoever says that knows nothing about business....

So stop with the negativity. Try having some belief in the device YOU have chosen. If you believe it's a bad decision, then go to another platform.
I have belief in MS. I own a 1520, and I feel it is the best smartphone available today. Keep your QHD displays and 810 CPUs.

The 1520 just works, and works for days...

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I just hope 2015 is a better year for windows in general. .

Funny, pretty sure that was said in 2012 about the next year, and in 2013 about this year....and as always while Microsoft moves like a sloth the competition moves quickly meaning WP is perpetually in a catchup state and until Microsoft moves EVERYTHING about WP into high gear they will always be behind.

jordanzhninja

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I just hope 2015 is a better year for windows in general. If they would debut Windows 9 & WP9 with flagship devices under the Surface banner I think that's a great start. Surface Desktop, Laptop, new Pro model, and finally release a Surface premium phone...

I want to see a Surface with Core M (10.6''), a new lighter Surface Pro and maybe an ARM surface mini (although maybe cherry trail instead).

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
2015 will be better, lmao. We've been saying that since 2010!
The sad thing is the OS has caught up in many ways but where are the devices that make people salivate?
On one side you have htc one, lg g3, sony experia z, samsung galaxy s5, note 3, one plus one, all pretty much available to anyone. On the other side you have the old 920, 1020 and the newish 1520 and 930 who pretty much all look the same and are limited by carrier exclusivity. Not a fair fight, is it?
Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

OHardy

May 13, 2013
Visit site
All this negativity. Every month this happens.
The 2.5% is at the end of a sales cycle. New devices are just around the corner, so this figure will go up... It's the same for all phone manufacturers.

Why is there the need to say WP is doomed? Whoever says that knows nothing about business....

So stop with the negativity. Try having some belief in the device YOU have chosen. If you believe it's a bad decision, then go to another platform.
I have belief in MS. I own a 1520, and I feel it is the best smartphone available today. Keep your QHD displays and 810 CPUs.

The 1520 just works, and works for days...

Couldn't have said it any better.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
And the iPhone 6 is imminent which will destroy the chances of a flagship lumia phone from dominating the high-end market this fall.

I think that's why they scrapped the flagship phone.. nothing in the high end stands a chance between now and early 2015 against Apple's offering.. you might as well not bother at all.

The camera department is Microsoft's main differentiator, but I am afraid that they won't capitalize, just like Nokia before them.. and on top of that Apple hired one of the main PureView engineers so they are obviously investing into imaging more and more.

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft gets royalties from every android manufacturer, why not lower it in exchange for proper WP flagships? HTC is doing it, that's a great phone to have on offer. How about LG, Samsung, Sony, etc.?
Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
not-again.jpg

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
They probably won't cancel it. I'm not sure about market share but WP as OS will get better. WP devices will get better. WP app ecosystem will get better. Not good enough? There are alternative platforms. *Cheers*

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft gets royalties from every android manufacturer, why not lower it in exchange for proper WP flagships?

Such strategies rarely work.

The best such strategies can do is to motivate OEMs to invest the minimal effort required to reap the benefits (lower royalties) and then stop. MS' attempts to pay for app development represents a similar strategy that already failed. It motivated devs to make apps that are just good enough to cash MS' check, but not anything more. Unfortunately such apps are not competitive compared to iOS and Android. Your suggestion would just do the same for hardware.

MS already maxed out their best options (increase the cost to release an Android device by collecting IP royalties and reduce the cost for WP devices by giving WP away), which shifted the OEMs profitability calculation in WP's favour. Unfortunately the difference isn't yet enough to influence anyone but the manufacturers of the cheapest devices!

Beppe Gissi

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
I think 2015 wil be the year of the rise for WP. I never been into WP myself, but now there are apps, now there is support and I see some WP users around me (quite suprisely that they are mostly girls with not much interest into smartphones).

In last months, Samsung sells felt down, people are getting bored of its UGLY UI and materials. I think MS could take over on the mid market, with such great devices like 625, 925 and 1320 (respicetevly 130, 190 and 230 ? here) that are BY FAR better than the competitors (if you buy a 150-200 ? Android, it will probably be rubbish).

In my opinion, MS should release some new mid range smartphones with updated specs (quad-core) and make it lower than 300 ? to not going crash into Nexus 5 and older high-end Android devices like S5 and G2.

In the view from my eyes, there are lot of ways MS could win this war, and MS has too much experience to fail on this.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

steppyhen

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
This article by Paul Thurrott was posted this morning: http://winsupersite.com/windows-pho...tem?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

It is a good read, and one I agree with. He notes that 14 new manufacturers have signed on after Microsoft dropped the licence fee for Windows Phone. These devices will start showing up soon, and I expect a bump in the percentage when there is more choice available to users.

Like Paul said, it's too early to write off WP...let's see what happens over the next couple of quarters when all these new devices jump on the WP train.

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I think 2015 wil be the year of the rise for WP. I never been into WP myself, but now there are apps, now there is support and I see some WP users around me (quite suprisely that they are mostly girls with not much interest into smartphones).

In last months, Samsung sells felt down, people are getting bored of its UGLY UI and materials. I think MS could take over on the mid market, with such great devices like 625, 925 and 1320 (respicetevly 130, 190 and 230 ? here) that are BY FAR better than the competitors (if you buy a 150-200 ? Android, it will probably be rubbish).

In my opinion, MS should release some new mid range smartphones with updated specs (quad-core) and make it lower than 300 ? to not going crash into Nexus 5 and older high-end Android devices like S5 and G2.

In the view from my eyes, there are lot of ways MS could win this war, and MS has too much experience to fail on this.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

There is SO MUCH stuff wrong with this post!
Samsung sales going down? Yeah right. People getting bored of the same design? Like the Lumias are so different from each other. A 150-200? android is rubbish? Ever heard of Motorola?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers